PDA

View Full Version : segmented candy dish - critique please

Robert McGowen
04-28-2007, 6:55 PM
Once again, I learned way more about building and turning than the finished product indicates. This is 61 pieces of paduak. 8.5" across the top, 4.5" top to bottom, and 3.25" across the foot. It is 1/4" thick and weighs in at 10 ounces with a little extra thickness left in the base for balance. Sanded to 400 and finished with Danish oil. This is the first piece that I actually started from a drawing of my own design and dimensions through to completetion. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CRITIQUE THE SHAPE!

DISCLAIMER: Bill W. posted a piece with 60 pieces last week. It is only a coincidence that this one is 61 pieces. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Dennis Peacock
04-28-2007, 7:48 PM
Very nice piece there Robert.!!!! Excellent segmented piece.
However, the overall form is very nice, but the "neck" near the foot needs to be thinner with the line flowing from the bottom of the "bowl" and curve out to a thinner more delicate looking foot. Don't worry...I have the same issues that I'm trying to overcome with designs of where the bowl meets a stemmed foot. One day I'll learn how to do it well, but right now all I can do is see it in my mind. :o

With that said, I really think it's a great piece. Sure beats my attempts where they wound up in the woodstove. ;)

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-28-2007, 8:46 PM
Robert, it appears that you are becoming "hooked" on segmented turning. I agree with Dennis' comment regarding the foot and neck. The upper bowl has a very pleasing curve. Your joinery looks tight, the vertical seams line up, and the finish looks good. I'm not sure why you bothered to weight it; the weight has very little to do with success. Many unknowing beginner segmenters try using padauk - it's one of the worse woods in which to invest your time. When mixed with other light colored woods, it causes problems because of its tendency to stain the adjacent wood. It looks colorful initially, but will quickly turn brown. Bloodwood is far superior, but it will also darken with time – not as much and it’s easier to control the color bleed.

I think you’re ready to attempt a more complex design with a feature ring of some sort. Good luck.

Bernie Weishapl
04-28-2007, 11:32 PM
Robert the piece is a beauty. Nice job.

Jonathon Spafford
04-29-2007, 12:54 AM
Great piece... the wood is great as is the finish! As Dennis said, I would thin out the neck and make the curve smoother, but it is really minor and doesn't keep the piece from being a really wonderful looking piece! Great work!

Bob Hallowell
04-29-2007, 7:29 AM
Robert I think it looks great!

Bob

Mark Pruitt
04-29-2007, 8:35 AM
Robert,
I agree with Dennis about the neck/base. Still it's very pretty and I would display it proudly.

Unlike me, it is not overweight.:o

Tom Sherman
04-29-2007, 9:48 AM
Robert a very nice piece indeed looks like you are enjoying the segmentation bug.

Bill Wyko
04-29-2007, 9:03 PM
Nice job Robert. I'm glad to see you as hooked as I am. You've really got a grip on segmented work. The piece I posted with 60 pieces is only one piece that will be cut into a full segment. There's 9 of those in total. I bet as you were turning this one you were thinking of the next one:rolleyes: You see segments in your sleep.:D :D I'm kind of jonesing to get back to turning this big one but I had to stop so I could dig the base for my new workshop.I guess It'll all be worth it in the end. But again your work is amazing, keep it up. I really enjoy seeing your progress.

Ken LaSota
04-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Robert nice job I love the segmenting lots of work great piece.
Ken

Ron Mitchell
04-30-2007, 1:26 PM
Robert,

Nice paduak bowl. You did a geat job. I have only done one bowl
http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/remnantswoodshop/?action=view&current=DovetailBowl_1.jpg
but you have inspired me to try to design a segmented bowl.

Keith Burns
04-30-2007, 4:59 PM
Robert, critiques are subjective so take this for what it's worth. I like the form as is. The curves are pleasing and I don't see any flat spots.