PDA

View Full Version : Motor Replacement

Burt Alcantara
04-28-2007, 5:11 PM
I just took a class using a OneWay 1224. The thing that got to me was the variable speed motor. Plus the fact that is was dead quiet.

My Nova 1624 is only 3 months old. Perhaps I'm jumping the gun here but what would be involved with upgrading the 1624 with a variable speed motor?

I know, I know. Shudda bought the XP but at the time it seemed too expensive.

I'm already looking at mayo and mustard. This ain't no vortex. It's a massive black hole!

Thanks,
Burt

Jim Becker
04-28-2007, 5:40 PM
The OneWay and other similar VS lathes use a 3-phase motor with a VFD controller. You can use surplus equipment to do this, but you need a motor that has the same mounting specifications (frame) as your current motor has. The bearings and tight machining tolerances on the premium machines also help to reduce noise.

chris del
04-28-2007, 5:58 PM
I just took a class using a OneWay 1224. The thing that got to me was the variable speed motor. Plus the fact that is was dead quiet.

My Nova 1624 is only 3 months old. Perhaps I'm jumping the gun here but what would be involved with upgrading the 1624 with a variable speed motor?

I'm already looking at mayo and mustard. This ain't no vortex. It's a massive black hole!

Thanks,
Burt

The advantage of upgradding your 1624 to VS is that you will end up with a machine with an off the shelf motor and AC drive vs the XP that has a
proprietary motor and electronics that can only be replace by Teknatool.
50 years from now if your motor or AC inverter dies, you simply replace it with another.
I have a 1624 on order and suspect they use a Nema C face motor, likely 56C Frame (5/8" shaft dia) ("NEMA", is the industry standard in north america)

Chris

George Tokarev
04-29-2007, 9:09 AM

Well, dead quiet except for the interference created by the VFD on your radio, anyway.:p If your NOVA isn't down below 30 Db, you've got something loose. The motor noise is greater than the mechanical on mine.

The ability to make mistakes at any speed isn't really important in the learning process, nor is continously variable speed important when going through the familiar motions of making your thousandth bowl. The edge, and how it meets the wood is what counts. Get more time and more edge configurations in the next couple years rather than VFDs.

Of course, you might be less impressed with the capabilities of big iron by then, so it can be risky.

Paul Engle
04-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Up grade will cost ya ..... this being new stuff. check out this site .

http://www.driveswarehouse.com/showcategory.aspx?filter=1&CategoryID=149&categories_id=21&ManID=&Horsepower=1.00&IVoltage=1&OCurrent=&x=14&y=4