PDA

View Full Version : 1 little box

Mack Cameron
04-28-2007, 3:18 PM
Ken & Nancy; it looks like it is going to work now!!

When I made this box I didn't realize how small it would really be. So rather than a jewelry box it is a loose change collector.
Carcase from Aromatic Red Cedar, the legs and lid are Birdseye Maple. The lid is finished in a Tung Oil, Spar Varnish mixture, the carcase and legs have 3 coats of Zinssers Clear shellac.63493

Nancy Laird
04-28-2007, 3:21 PM
Mack,

How pretty!!! :) I like it (THUMB UP) Would you share the measurements and plans (unless you're like LOML and you just make up stuff as you go along!:rolleyes: :p ). I could stand making a couple or three of those for Christmas gifts for the females in my family.

Nancy

Andrew Williams
04-28-2007, 3:21 PM
I'm wondering if you mixed the Maker's into the finish ;)

Gary Keedwell
04-28-2007, 3:22 PM
I really like that box. Can I ask you what you used for hinges?:confused:

Gary K.

Mack Cameron
04-28-2007, 3:45 PM
Mack,

How pretty!!! :) I like it (THUMB UP) [quote]Would you share the measurements and plans (unless you're like LOML and you just make up stuff as you go along! Hi Nancy; Oh no, I'm not that good! Overall inside dimensions are 5" X 10" X 3" deep. The pattern is in a Taunton Press book by David M. Freedman, "Basic Box Making". Its featured on the cover with a curly maple carcase and bubinga legs & lid. Getting a copy of the plan is as simple as pm'ing me with your address etc.
Please don't anybody take me to the wood shed over this offer. To each his own.

Mack Cameron
04-28-2007, 3:48 PM
[quote]I'm wondering if you mixed the Maker's into the finish Hi Andrew; let me put it this way, there was some of Maker's used in the finishing.

Mack Cameron
04-28-2007, 3:51 PM
{quote]I really like that box. Can I ask you what you used for hinges? Hi Gary; the hinges are 2 5/8" long pieces of 1/8" brass rod. There are blind of course, being drilled into the edges of the lid and the side of each leg.

Mike Weaver
04-28-2007, 4:10 PM
Hi Andrew; let me put it this way, there was some of Maker's used in the finishing.
;) That's funny.

Looks great & thanks for sharing!
-Mike

Jim Becker
04-28-2007, 5:37 PM
Truly a beauty, Mac!

Matt P
05-21-2007, 2:21 PM
On this nice box does anyone know how the sides are joined to the posts? Does it have to be fancy (e.g. mortise/tenon), or can they just be glued..?
thanks,
Matt

Mack Cameron
05-21-2007, 3:30 PM
On this nice box does anyone know how the sides are joined to the posts? Does it have to be fancy (e.g. mortise/tenon), or can they just be glued..?
thanks,
Matt Hi Matt; as the builder of this box I can tell you the legs are dowelled to the sides with 1/4" dowels. Nothing too fancy!