PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to lub Reeves pully?

Dave Smith
12-31-2003, 6:45 PM
I had to disassemble the sliding pully on my Jet 1236 again because it was gummed up and wouldn't slide. The first time it happened I called Jet and they said to spray the shaft with silicone lub. I could just imagine getting silicone on the pullies and belt. I didn't do that. There is a spring loaded ball bearing on the end of the shaft for lubrication but the manual doesn't mention it. The tech people had no idea what lub to use or method of injecting it. This is probably a simple thing but it escapes me.

Dave Smith

Lathe OOC in Longview, WA.

Frank Guerin
12-31-2003, 6:57 PM
Been awhile since I worked on Reeve's drive's but we always just shot then with decent industrial grease. The belt shouldn't touch the shaft that the sheave's ride on so a shot of grease and crank it in and out a couple of times should work. If your saying that it has no grease fitting then just spray it or apply grease by hand. Hope this helps.

Bob Oswin
12-31-2003, 10:25 PM
I had to disassemble the sliding pully on my Jet 1236 again because it was gummed up and wouldn't slide. . This is probably a simple thing but it escapes me.

Dave Smith

Lathe OOC in Longview, WA.

I usually just blow off the shaft with WD40, dry it off with air, then apply spray on graphite.
-about evry 50 hours.

Bob

Dave Smith
01-01-2004, 12:15 AM
I got it back together tonight. I guess I should get a better maintanence program but I onlyhave so many hours in a day.

Dave Smith

Turning again in Longview, WA.

Tom Hintz
01-01-2004, 8:08 AM
I also have struggled with this problem on my 1236 and have found two things that help.
First, there is a hole in the powerhead casting below the spindle in which the speed control shaft slides. I cleaned this out very well, lubed it and put a piece of duct tape over it to keep the dust out. the speed control has yet to tighten up again.
For lube, I have been using Dupont Performance, a teflon-based product that goes on wet but dries so it doesn't attract dust. I have been using this throughout the speed control and pulley system for a few months now with no problems. When the shop gets very cold the speed control is a little stiff until the mechanism warms up slightly.

I found the Dupont Performance at my local Lowe's by accident when looking for dry graphite, which I never found.