PDA

View Full Version : Miter saw stand

Marc Prudhomme
04-28-2007, 8:07 AM
Hi all,
I bought the rigid 10" mitersaw and was thinkin of building a nice workstation stand with wings for the shop.I do have a outside deck project I want to tackle this week and I was wondering if anyone had any quick,slap together ideas on how to set up something outside to use the saw.My idea is a couple of saw horses with a couple of 2x6 on top.Maybe my roller stands on each end for support.The only problem I cant seem to overcome is an extension for the fence or should I not bother.I am really hell bent on using the chop saw as opposed to the circular saw.
any ideas
Marc

glenn bradley
04-28-2007, 8:30 AM
Do an SMC Google search on 'miter stand'. Here's some of what comes up:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27878

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?referrerid=5960&t=44591

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=467561

These are more permenant than you're after but there are more threads with some 'slam-bang' solutions that I've seen here that would work well.

Kelly's CMS stand is probably near-perfect for adaption to saw horses:

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/CMSandDC.html

Roy McQuay
04-28-2007, 8:37 AM
When I built my deck, I placed my ms on my picnic table and it worked very well using scrap wood to hold the boards level with the saw. Now I have a folding stand for the old ms, but I still use my outdoor workbench/picnic table in good weather.

Anthony Smaldone
04-28-2007, 8:48 AM
Saw horses are going to be the easiest. If you can come up with a 3rd, your in business. I have a table, made of 2-2x4's on edge with 3/8 ply screwed on top. This can be as long as you want 8, 10, 12, 16, what ever you need. The table will be as deep as the saw, the rest of the saw horse is for lumber storage. The saw gets set up on the right side of the table and a block the thickness of the height of the saw base is screwed to the table to the left of the saw. (make more blocks if needed)
The other horse is placed to the right of the saw and a piece of plywood, or any scrap screwed to make a T is screwed to it at the height of the saw base. This setup works great in a pinch, it costs nothing and you can use the 2 table 2x4's as cross bracing under the dack when the deck is finished. Or make it nice and keep it for ever.

good luck

Per Swenson
04-28-2007, 8:53 AM
I don't understand.

The Rigid SUV miter stand is perfect for a outside deck project.

I have two of them. And a third when that Kapex gets here.:D

The fence on your saw is adequate and the extension

rollers on the stand solve all the rest of the problems.

Maybe I am missing something.

Per

Marc Prudhomme
04-28-2007, 10:04 AM
The only thing I guess your missing is that I dont want to fork over the 140.00 for the Stand.
I don't understand.

The Rigid SUV miter stand is perfect for a outside deck project.

I have two of them. And a third when that Kapex gets here.:D

The fence on your saw is adequate and the extension

rollers on the stand solve all the rest of the problems.

Maybe I am missing something.

Per

Gary Keedwell
04-28-2007, 10:24 AM
When I built my deck, I placed my ms on my picnic table and it worked very well using scrap wood to hold the boards level with the saw. Now I have a folding stand for the old ms, but I still use my outdoor workbench/picnic table in good weather.
:rolleyes: That brought back memories of my old pic-nick table of two houses ago. I used that old table for many projects including cedar shingling the whole house. Every time it started rotten. I would route out the effected part and replace it. Had that table for over 12 years. What a workhorse.:eek:
Gary K.

Per Swenson
04-28-2007, 4:12 PM
Sorry,

See I did miss it. I thought you bought the rigid stand.

'Cause when I see rigid and miter I don't read saw.

For a out side stand, just throw it on a coupla horses, 2x4 sheet a ply,

cut off piece of 4x4 on left for a riser.

Per

Joe Chritz
04-28-2007, 8:51 PM
If you do any number of outside projects on a semi regular basis the $140 is money well spent. My Dewalt spends 95% of its life on my bench, it gets pulled off and put on the MSUV whenever it gets moved.

If you only occasionally need it outside then a couple 2x4's with some plywood for a deck would work. A few deck boards screwed to the sawhorses would work. Before I had the MSUV I had set the saw on whatever was handy.

The stock fence will be fine unless you get crazy.

Joe

Dave Falkenstein
04-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Before I bought a Dewalt miter saw stand I used a Craftsman version of the B&D Workmate to mount the saw. My miter saw was bolteded to a piece of plywood, and the plywood clamped to the Workmate. Portable, quick setup and very stable. Much better than 2X4's and sawhorses. Roller stands did the trick for long material. I built several decks with that setup.

Charles McKinley
04-29-2007, 12:21 AM
You will have a hard time building something anyway near as nice as the Ridgid stand for $140. It is quick to set up. The extensions can be set up as stops for repeat cuts out to a little over 4 feet. It makes the saw really easy to move and store. If you will be taking the saw outside almost every time you use the saw the convience will be very welcomed.

It is a very well thought out piece of equipment. You have to spend double the money to get anything that even comes close.

Jason White
04-29-2007, 9:09 AM
I bought one yesterday. Best $99 i ever spent!

You'll spend at least that much in materials trying to build your own.

JW

The only thing I guess your missing is that I dont want to fork over the 140.00 for the Stand.

Rich Engelhardt
04-29-2007, 9:22 AM
Hello,
I looked at several stands and decided on the one with wheels on it that Sears offers. Actually, I liked it so much I bought a second one. I sawed 6" off the legs of the second one to make it "seat height" instead of "standing height".

The other things I like about it:
- It uses adjustable clamps to hold the tools instead of bolting the tools to the stand.By mounting tools on pieces of 3/4" plywood, the stand becomes more than a miter saw stand. I can swap out my miter saw for a small router table, benchtop drill press, etc. just about anything that can be mounted on the plywood. The only tool that doesn't work at all is my 9" bandsaw.
- The extension wings have two supports on each end. The Rigid is a nice heavy rig, but it lacks the second support.
- The extensions go out a full 5 feet. Mitering the ends of a 10' piece of crown using the extension plus a seperate roller was a piece of cake.
- It folds up into a very compact unit for storage.
- This goes to the first thing also - I can use a piece of plywood clamped onto it for a makeshift work bench. This has come in handy several times when I needed a place to stick something while the finish was drying, or glue setting up, etc, and didn't want to tie up the work bench.
- It extremely portable. It folds down and has wheels to transport it around. It weighs probably around 50 lbs. Too heavy to lug around for any distance.
- Cheap. I paid $89.00 for the second one I bought when it was on sale.

Here's a picture of it if you can pick it out amid all the junk ;)

Brian Walter
04-30-2007, 3:21 PM
Wow, you've got a carpeted workshop! I'm jealous, but isn't it a little hard to keep clean?

Brian Walter

Rich Engelhardt
04-30-2007, 6:34 PM
Hello,
LOL!
Actually that's the living room of a rehab my wife and I are doing. We left the carpet in place to protect the hardwood floor underneath.

But -- -

Yes, I do have a carpeted workshop in the garage at home. We put down that fake grass carpet in the garage before I turned it into a workshop.
It's surprisingly easy to keep clean. (in both cases - the garage and the rehab). A once over with the shop vac is all it takes.

glenn bradley
04-30-2007, 7:57 PM
As Jason mentioned; HD has these on clearance. At my HD; no ads, no signs, none on display, 24 in stock of which I bought 1. Unless some of the folks who read this forum live nearby, they'll probably have 23 left after the sale.

Way to market product Home Depot!!!