PDA

View Full Version : Apple masher

Kevin McPeek
04-27-2007, 11:50 PM
I was commisioned by a very important customer, well more accurately, I was asked by my sister-in-law to make a replacement apple masher. Thats what I'm calling it anyway. It's used to push apples into the grinder for making apple sauce. My MIL has a few apple trees so every year we make apple sauce and apple turnover filling.
It is curly maple and mesquite. It has a large tennon for the joinery of the woods and has walnut oil finish. Here is a pic of it and the original, as you can see I took a little artistic freedom to make the proportions a little more pleasing (to me anyway).

Martin Braun
04-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Nice Job! Good contrast between the mesquite & maple. What happens if the masher gets to close to the grinder blade? Do you get mesquite with your apple sauce?

Richard Madison
04-28-2007, 12:02 AM
The red dye color is really nice, but I think you should have made it more like the wood one, which is a good looking piece.

Mike Vickery
04-28-2007, 2:38 AM
It turned out nice Kevin. I am sure she will love it.

George Tokarev
04-28-2007, 9:47 AM
I like the rediscovery of decoration in useful objects. Ever go to a museum and see some of the old machine castings embellished with acanthus, laurel and ivy?

Just keep 'em smooth for ease of cleaning. Ridges and burns can be tough to get clean.

Bernie Weishapl
04-28-2007, 9:59 AM
Kevin that is cool. She is going to like that. Nice job.

Kevin McPeek
04-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Thanks fellas.
It was a fun little quicky project. I like to make utility stuff so as long as it gets used and works well, thats what really counts for me.