PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sanders: How critical are they to your projects?

Scott Taylor
04-27-2007, 10:38 PM
I came across an ad the other day for a Performax 18/36 sander for $500. Ad said it was a "few" years old and in great working condition. I had convinced myself that I did not need to spend the $1200 or so on a sander because 1) I am just about out of room in my shop 2) I am running out of money to dump into the shop and 3) Running out of lee-way from my wife and my tool purchases. (although to date she's been pretty cool about buying tools.)

So a couple of questions here. Who here uses a drum sander and thinks that it is critical to wood working? Is this a deal that I shoudl pass up if it is in fact in good condition? Should I just wait and afford it later?

PS My experience with a drum sander is limited to watching being used on TV.

Tom Cowie
04-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Hi Scott

Drum sanders are very nice at what they are intended for, making flat panels.

I have recently bought one and love it but I made due with belt and orbital sanders and hand planes for many years.

Only you can decide if it is a necessary tool :)

good luck

Tom

John Fry
04-27-2007, 11:20 PM
I could NOT live without one, but I do a lot of shop sawn veneer work. I go from the band saw to the sander with my veneers and it is a "must have" tool for me.

I think only you can answer the question of whether you need one or not. It depends on the work you do, or plan to do. If the machine is in good condition, and has feed table extensions, some sandpaper, (most people have extras to throw in when selling a used piece of machinery), then it is a good deal.

Be aware, you absolutely need dust collection to operate the machine!

Bruce Page
04-28-2007, 12:05 AM
Define critical?
Is a drum sander nice to have in your woodworking arsenal? Yes, definitely, I wouldn’t want to be without mine.
Is it an absolutely essential machine to have? Nope, there are other ways to get there.

Drum sanders are fairly new invention to the hobbyist level shop.

It just depends on what you want.

Roger Savatteri
04-28-2007, 1:18 AM
hello scott,

.....the project I have going at the moment involves the fabrication of bent laminated acacia doors and panel frames (each layer being 1/16 " to build up to 1 5/8 ths inch thickness....... I go straight to the drum sander from the bandsaw.

Take note of what John mentioned about the dust collection........ I have a General dual 25" drum sander with a 2hp delta dual bag, rated at 2000 cfm with only a ten foot run. I wouldn't have any cfm less than that. (also, at the time I'm running the drum sander I have nothing else pulling air) ps. I also have a separate dust collector (3/4 horse) with a 24 inch mouth receptor pulling dust from under the conveyor as it's making it's return. (keep in mind acacia has an oily dust)

Doug Shepard
04-28-2007, 7:53 AM
I may be a little behind on their current offerings but I dont think Performax makes a 18/36 ?? Delta's is an 18/36 but as far as I know 16/32 for the Performax. Makes me wonder a little about the ad you saw if that size is a direct quote. Regardless of the size - my 16/32 isnt the most used tool in the shop, but when you need it, you need it. The $500 isnt too bad of a price for a used 16/32. It would be even sweeter if it's got the extension table (a must), casters, and extra rolls of paper (about $25/box).

Mark Singer
04-28-2007, 9:36 AM
It is a very importand machine that saves a lot of time! I have the General

glenn bradley
04-28-2007, 9:57 AM
As others have stated; its all about what kind of work you do. I would love to have one when the need arises but am short on space and cash for this item based on the types of things I make.

Phil Clark
04-28-2007, 9:57 AM
When our guild members ask this question I tell them it will change their woodworking and increase the scope of woods they can use. As said before, you can cut your own veneers and with a sled bring them to uniform thickness in the drum sander. You can begin to use figured woods without the fear of tearout because you can go to the drum sander before getting to desired thickness. You can gang up a number of pieces on edge and sand without worryabout orientation or tearout.

Dust collection is very important especially if using softwoods or some exotics. This is where I wear my Trend Airshield.

Jamie Buxton
04-28-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't have a drum sander, and don't miss it. I have a jointer/planer combo, which is how I do most of my surfacing. I do bandsaw veneers, but the saw provides a glueable surface.

Richard M. Wolfe
04-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi Scott,
As the others posted above.....it depends on what you want to do. I make a number of chests and for the panels they are just about necessary. I "made do" with belt and random orbit sanders for a long time but for flat panels they are the way to go.

Like most things you need to be aware of all that's involved. Like Roger said, dust collection is a must. They just don't function without it and they put out a lot of dust. Also, check prices on the sanding rolls....that may put you off. If you sand wood with a good bit of resin, like pine, they can clog in nothing flat, although I have found if you chunk the belt in the sink and scrub it with a wire brush with Simple Green they rejuvenate pretty well. (Paper backed sandpaper not recommended with this technique :) ).The worst thing is trying to sand dried glue squeeze-out which will ruin a belt roll in short order. If you get one make sure to get rid of any glue residue beforehand.

I have the Delta and would not recommend it. The Performax, as far as I know, is a 16-32 in the largest size, which is no big deal, because if you have a panel, face frame or whatever wider than that it should go through a wide belt anyway. Check prices and reviews on all the machines.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-28-2007, 10:19 AM
I want one but will absolutely positively not pay the outrageous prices demanded. I'll make one first. Same with a stroke sander. I want one but ponying up the couple of $$Gees for one is out of the question. The technology is way too simple for me to bring myself to actually pay for one.

I have this principle thing going on about cost versus effort and value. If I don't think the engineers and factory worked hard enough to make a thing then I'll not be willing to pay their price - period.

Drum sanders stroke sanders even band saws are all such terribly simple machines presenting absolutely zero technological challenges that the manufacturers can make really cheaply and sell for boatloads of money.

How hard would it be to produce those things in an industrial setting and sell 'em retail for less than a grand?

At least a table saw has a blade that moves in two axes and a slider adds a third axes of motion while under power.

Grant Lasson
04-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Scott,

I guess it really depends on what work you're going to do. I bought one a few years ago. It is easily my worst woodworking investment. I'm doing a project now that should have been perfect for it. I need 16 large flat panels (say 20" wide x 40" long). For the life of me I can't seem to get that thing to sand these panels evenly. I bought the extension tables. I got a poly conveyor belt. I think that particular sander works best if the work isn't wider than the drum. Most laminations and veneers would be great. The build style (i.e., inherent flex) doesn't do that well when you're approaching the capacity of the machine. Don't get me going on the fantastic amount of backlash in the height adjustment...