PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Woods?

Brian Kent
04-27-2007, 8:44 PM
What wood works well outdoors. My wife wants some plant-pot stands with natural finish. I have some oak, pine, Philippine mahogany, and ash to work with.

Jim Becker
04-27-2007, 9:00 PM
None of what you have listed is particularly good for outdoors unless the oak you have is white oak. White oak is weather resistant; red oak is not. I don't believe that Philippine mahogany is weather resistant (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), but some other species of mahogany are.

Some other choices include cedar, cypress, ipe and teak. Cedar and cypress are relatively reasonable in cost.

Mark Singer
04-27-2007, 9:49 PM
Alascan cedar is NO1! Teak is great too...but $$$$

Roy McQuay
04-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Alascan cedar is NO1! Teak is great too...but $$$$I've never seen Alaskan cedar on this side. Would it be available here?

Gary Herrmann
04-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Qsawn white oak has held up fine here.

John Michaels
04-28-2007, 1:05 AM
Western Red Cedar might work well for plant stands. Not sure if you guys have it readily available on the east coast though. Out here people use it extensively for fencing. It's very weather resistant and insect proof. It turns grey with time, but sanding or pressure washing brings it back to life.

Mark Singer
04-28-2007, 9:39 AM
I've never seen Alaskan cedar on this side. Would it be available here?

I just made a patio table from it and there has been no change in the wods appearance in a couple of months outside. I bought it from Austin Hardwoods in Santa Ana....about $6.50 a bf

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-28-2007, 10:25 AM
What wood works well outdoors. My wife wants some plant-pot stands with natural finish. I have some oak, pine, Philippine mahogany, and ash to work with.

How about IPE

On the other hand if you really want to use a non typical wood in an outdoor setting you might consider using a two part catalyzing urethane to permanently seal the lumber. It's expensive but it's superb for outdoor apps.

Gary Keedwell
04-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Philippine mahogany is a very good out door wood. I have a couple of adirondick chairs that are over 10 years old and they have held up fine.
Gary K.

Roy McQuay
04-28-2007, 11:41 AM
I just made a patio table from it and there has been no change in the wods appearance in a couple of months outside. I bought it from Austin Hardwoods in Santa Ana....about $6.50 a bfThanks Mark, Santa Ana is a pretty good walk from my house. If I ever see it here I will definitely give it a try. I use white oak a lot but it needs to have a finish for outside.

Chris Brault
04-29-2007, 12:54 AM
I 2nd the western red cedar. Nice stuff, just built a nice picnic table out of it. Real weather resistant, easy to machine with tools, and nice and light!!!!!