PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about where to buy lumber.

Andrew Welch 1977
04-27-2007, 6:17 PM
I live in Phoenix, Arizona (North Side up near 19th ave & Union Hills) and I was wondering if there were any woodworkers here in Arizona who know of a nice place to buy lumber cheaply. Well cheaper then Home Depot & Lowes anyways. :p

Dave Falkenstein
04-27-2007, 6:40 PM
It depends on what you mean by "lumber". For hardwoods I usually go to Woodworkers Source, not because of the low price, but because of the quality and service. There is a guy in Chandler that is supposed to be a good supplier of hardwoods, but it is too far for me to drive from Cave Creek.

For sheet goods, Woodworkers Source has a pretty good selection of shop, cabinet and furniture grade items, but again, not cheap. Spellman Hardwoods has good quality at a bit lower prices than WW Source. I have used them in Flagstaff, and I assume the product is much the same in the Valley. For large quantities of sheet goods, American Hardwoods is great, but the last time I was there they had a minimum over-the-counter order of $250, as I recall. American has some hardwoods as well, mostly the more common non-exotics.

For framing lumber and some sheet goods, Heldt Lumber and Foxworth-Galbraith are both reliable sources, and less expensive with better quality than Home Depot or Lowe's.

Adam Burgess
04-27-2007, 7:36 PM
Try http://www.woodfinder.com/

Andrew Welch 1977
04-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Thank you, both replies where very helpful.
Sorry took me so long to say thanks.
Long weekend of painting and still not finished. :(

WW source is the best one I've been too so far as well. And it's only like a mile from my house so I like to just pop in and check out the cut off bin
for bits and pieces. Have to check out the lumber
yards you guys mentioned. Most are 20+ miles from here so waiting for an excuse to go that direction. :D

Has anyone been to the Woodcraft store in Chandler? Was thinking of heading down there sometime as well. Oh, and what does everyone think of Rockler? Been there quite a few times even though it's a bit of drive.