PDA

View Full Version : Advice requested

Rick Moyer
04-27-2007, 5:06 PM
I am trying to make some lamp stands by somewhat copying the coffee table we have (to match). Unfortunately I may have bitten off more than I can chew right now. The coffee table has a border of arched pcs. with grain running randomly. Itried to make these pieces individually but can't get them to mate up properly. should i have done this differently and if so how? I didn't want the (border)grain to all be going in one direction, so I didn't clue up boards and cut the circle out of them; but maybe this is what I will have to do. Suggestions appreciated.
pics are of existibg coffee table and my attempts at a small top.

Anthony Smaldone
04-27-2007, 7:25 PM
Hi rick,
Ok I might be of some help.... Your problem seems to be either an equipment or a math issue. A circle is 360 deg. so keeping that in mind you need to decide how many sections you will use.(keep it even it's easier) Let's say you use 6 sections to make the edge. That means you will have to cut each piece at 30 deg.
30 x 12 = 360 (6 pieces each piece has 2 ends = 12 cuts, each cut at 30 deg.)
You need to make the sections wide enough to handle the radius cut, you seem to allready have this looking at the pictures. place all the sections on a flat surface to see if you cuts are accurate, if so you can use a biscuit joiner on the joints. If the joints don't line up then you either have a problem with the setting on you saw, or your not cutting the sections exactly the same size. Once the sections are glued up, you can find the center of the circle,( make sure the frame is secured to the top) and use either a router, or a band saw, or even a jigsaw on a compass jig to cut the radius cuts.
Hope that helps

Rick Moyer
04-28-2007, 8:33 AM
Thanks Anthony. My math is fine and my equipment is as well. It's my technique that is the problem.
I tried to "free-hand" the six outside pcs. on the band saw and sand to fit the inner circle pc (which I also cut on the band saw free-hand). I think I may need to cut 30 degree mitres on rectangular stock pcs. first, fit these together to form a hexagon, then cut a ring from this to fit the interior table pc. I suppose I would use a router and circle jig? Does that seem to be the best way, or is there a better technique I could use?

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-28-2007, 9:54 AM
I suppose I would use a router and circle jig? Does that seem to be the best way, or is there a better technique I could use?

I'd use a router and jig for sure. I'd consider routing a groove into both mating pieces for a series of biscuits or a spline too.

Rick Moyer
04-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I can use FF biscuits to connect the six outside pcs. together. I was going to use FF biscuits to join the outer pcs. to the inner ring but i won't be able to do that if I make the ring first.

Fred Voorhees
04-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Rick, I had a similar deal when I built two matching corner hutches for my brother and they wanted doors in them that had rounded tops. What I did was to make a template out of mdf that was exactly the size of the arc'ed piece that was needed. Using that, I traced the outline of the piece on the stock to be used and rough cut it out on the bandsaw. I then centered the template on the pieces and attached them with double sided tape and flush trimmed them on the router table. All pieces come out identical and assuming that your template is exact, you should have what you need.