PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Question

Peter Stahl
04-27-2007, 4:49 PM
I'm trying to install a new theme for Firefox on my laptop. Using version 2.0.0.3, I download the theme click where it says use theme and then restart FF but still get the default theme. Any idea what I could be doing wrong. Thanks for any help.

Ken Garlock
04-27-2007, 7:49 PM
Peter, did you clear the private data buffers?

I know enough about FF to be dangerous. :)
And, I know nothing about themes.:confused:

Jim Summers
04-27-2007, 8:09 PM
The only thing I can think of is that the theme may not be compatible with FF2.

What OS are you running?

Which theme?

I am using ff2 on a linux system, but I can find a wondoze one also.

HTH

Peter Stahl
04-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Peter, did you clear the private data buffers?

I know enough about FF to be dangerous. :)
And, I know nothing about themes.:confused:

Ken, How would I reset the private data buffer and what does it do? Thanks for the reply. I use FF on several desktops with the same themes and version of FF with no problems.

Peter Stahl
04-27-2007, 10:42 PM
The only thing I can think of is that the theme may not be compatible with FF2.

What OS are you running?

Which theme?

I am using ff2 on a linux system, but I can find a wondoze one also.

HTH

Jim, Thanks for the reply. I've used the same themes for and version of FF for several other desktops. Maybe there's something weird with this laptop. It's a HP with Windows XP home edition. Can't imagine it's the version of XP.

Jim Summers
04-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Jim, Thanks for the reply. I've used the same themes for and version of FF for several other desktops. Maybe there's something weird with this laptop. It's a HP with Windows XP home edition. Can't imagine it's the version of XP.

How/where does ff store it's users settings on a windoze system?

I know on the linux machine I use, it is a pretty quick test to move the .mozilla/firefox directory out of the way. Then start ff and do your testing. If all goes well copy the bookmarks.html from the previous profile and go.

HTH

Ken Garlock
04-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Ken, How would I reset the private data buffer and what does it do? Thanks for the reply. I use FF on several desktops with the same themes and version of FF with no problems.

As I understand it, the private data buffer is where FF stores things you have looked at so that when you want to return to it, it can retrieve the page from the buffer rather than retrieving it from the website. You can set it up to clear the various buffers when you shutdown FF.

To force a clearing, click on "Tools" at the top of the screen. Next to the bottom, just above "options" is an option "clear private data Ctl+Shift+Del", click on it.

Outside of that, I am out of ideas.:o

Peter Stahl
04-28-2007, 6:39 AM
As I understand it, the private data buffer is where FF stores things you have looked at so that when you want to return to it, it can retrieve the page from the buffer rather than retrieving it from the website. You can set it up to clear the various buffers when you shutdown FF.

To force a clearing, click on "Tools" at the top of the screen. Next to the bottom, just above "options" is an option "clear private data Ctl+Shift+Del", click on it.

Outside of that, I am out of ideas.:o

Ken, That's what I thought, still won't work. I even tried reload FF. Thanks for the reply.

Peter Stahl
04-28-2007, 5:19 PM
I figured it out with the help of someone on the FF forum. What I did was I went into the control panel under the Accessibility Options under the Display tab I unchecked the Use High Contrast box. It works now and I like the look of the display this way too. Thanks for the replies.