PDA

View Full Version : Losing a tooth to Sawstop

Bob Swenson
04-27-2007, 1:52 PM
A while back when I was attempting to cut a new slot in a zero clearance insert fo The Sawstop I popped the cartridge. I didn’t know that I was supposed to remove the riving knife. Well Per had a hissy fit, his prized Forrest blade shot. He just about came unglued. Have you ever seen a Red neck have a hissy fit?? Poor Boy:mad:

Last week I gave the whole messed up blade crunched into the collapsed aluminum Block, with the cartridge, to Frank from Ridge Carbide Tool Corp to see what they could do. Frank brought it back all nice and sharp with one new tooth welded on. Good as new, Per is sooo happy.
Cost- $13.00 to sharpen, $5.00 for the tooth
All is not lost Loyal Sawstop users, all is not lost.
Ten finger Bob

Greg Cole
04-27-2007, 1:55 PM
Bob,
Maybe that is what Per gets for referring to you as "his old geyser"....LOL

Nice to hear the blade could be salvaged... I've always wondered about that with the Sawstop.

Greg

Don Bullock
04-27-2007, 2:17 PM
A WoodCraft employee reported on one of the forums that in the store he works at they have been able to salvage all the blades that they have used in their SS demonstrations. I was very impressed to see that none of the teeth on either side of the brake had been touched by it. The brake works that fast.

I'm glad that I wasn't the one to find out that the riving knife has to be removed when making zero clearance insert for The Sawstop. The one they supplied is good enough for now.

BTW -- It's nice to hear that Per got his Forrest blade back and all is well with the SS. I wouldn't want him using all those "dangerous" tools if he's upset.:eek: ;) :D

Bob Noles
04-27-2007, 2:25 PM
Bob,

It only cost you $18 to witness Per have a hissy fit?

I think you can classify that as a cheap thrill :D :D

Andrew Williams
04-27-2007, 2:28 PM
Assuming that the riving knife is supposed to go in the same kerf as the blade, it would seem logical that raising the blade into the fresh insert would push the riving knife into the blade. I'd say that without the brake, you'd be buying a new riving knife as well as getting the blade re-toothed.

scott spencer
04-27-2007, 2:39 PM
Did you catch it on video tape? :D

Don Bullock
04-27-2007, 3:36 PM
Did you catch it on video tape? :D

If he did, SS could post it on their site.;) :D :rolleyes:

BTW -- Don't send flames. I own a SS.

CPeter James
04-27-2007, 6:33 PM
Ridge Carbide does my blades and the price is worth it. I chipped and tooth and $5 is the price. Better than new when I get them back.

CPeter

Per Swenson
04-27-2007, 7:03 PM
Hoo boy,

He makes it sound like I fly into a rage.

Actually, I kinda amble in to them. Slow and easy, building

to a crescendo so as he can check the thesaurus as I get going.

See, I never grew up and Bob is in his second childhood, that's why

it works out. The poor neighbors often wonder about the Father/Son

relationship. Ah, for another time.

In the end all's right, Blades back and Ridge did a excellent job.

Now I need to hear it spin all day long, right Pops?

Per

Tim Martin
04-27-2007, 8:21 PM
Well Per had a hissy fit, his prized Forrest blade shot. He just about came unglued. Have you ever seen a Red neck have a hissy fit?? Poor Boy:mad:

Ten finger Bob

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/smilies/happy/rotfl.gif....Id pay to see that!

Ben Grunow
04-27-2007, 9:52 PM
I work with my Dad and this sounds familiar. Kid ruins tool. Dad fixes tool after storm clears (I am sure you replace the WWII or had another already but you were still pissed). Kid loves it but hates to ribbing. Kid quickly buys new tool to ruin to silence ribbing and give Dad something to do.

What did you get?

John Terefenko
04-27-2007, 10:10 PM
I assume and hope so for your sake that whoever redid the blade checked for both trueness and stress cracks, Blades that have the noise reduction cutouts are prone to stress cracks with that sawstop. brake system. Just a thought.

Randal Stevenson
04-28-2007, 2:16 AM
Bob,

It only cost you $18 to witness Per have a hissy fit?

I think you can classify that as a cheap thrill :D :D

Cheap thrill or Gloat, lol.:p

Now, he will probably never let you live it down that you didn't send it back to Forrest.:rolleyes:

At least that is my kinda luck. Very happy to hear this about the blades.