PDA

View Full Version : Jointer table alignment question

Bob Noles
04-27-2007, 1:38 PM
I finally put a jointer back in the shop after a lot of work making a parking place for one. Not knowing much about this tool yet, except for what it's potential is, I have a quick question.

I have the machine fully assembled and have checked everything out in the tuning area except the infeed outfeed table. The instructions are not fully clear on the setting for the infeed/outfeed table. Are they supposed to be dead flat with each other or is the outfeed supposed to be slightly above the infeed table? If above, by how much? From what the book says, this is a one time adjustment and I should not have to re set it everytime I change the depth of cut, am I understanding this correctly?

Many thank for any assistance.

Ken Garlock
04-27-2007, 2:19 PM
Hi Bob.

From what I have read, and done myself, the out-feed table should be at the same height as the highest point on the cutting edge of the jointer blade as you rotate the cutters.

To set the height, place a straight edge on the out-feed table and onto the cutter head. The straight edge should span the diameter of the cutter head. Then rotate the cutter head as you adjust the table such that you can just barely see the straight edge move when the blade high point passes under it.

Others may have better ways, but this seems to work for me.:)

Bob Noles
04-27-2007, 2:22 PM
Thanks Ken and that is pretty much what the book was saying, I guess it was not wanting to sink in until you reiterated it. Maks sense now and I'll go do it that way.

glenn bradley
04-27-2007, 3:20 PM
Assuming the beds are level with the knives; I leave my infeed down about 1/32" for almost everything.

Ted Miller
04-27-2007, 4:37 PM
Bob, I get retentive about my cutter blades. I lay my machinest rule on the outfeed and I check each blade top dead center then I move the rule over and check each blade every inch or so.

I do the same as Glenn, 1/32 is more than a good cut. When I edge joint I move the fence around to not use the same exact spot of the knives...

Bob Noles
04-27-2007, 5:17 PM
Thanks again for the additional replies. So I should consider a 1/32 inch high cut and adjust the table to that instead of the full height as mentioned in the book then?

I'll also check the level of the tables from front to back as well. Great advice and help guys.... I really appreciate it.

Mark Engel
04-27-2007, 5:22 PM
Once you get your outfeed table set to the proper height, the depth of cut can be changed as your needs change. If you are trying to true up on edge on a bowed piece, you may elect to take a bigger cut than 1/32" just to reduce the number of passes required.

Eddie Darby
04-27-2007, 7:31 PM
You might find this page helpful, just click on this "Part 2 Tablesaws, Jointers and Portable Planers (http://www.woodworking.homeip.net/wood/Tuning%20Tools/Part%202%20Tablesaws,%20Jointers,%20and%20Portable %20Planers.html)" on then on the word Jointers at the bottom of the page.

glenn bradley
04-27-2007, 7:43 PM
"So I should consider a 1/32 inch high cut and adjust the table to that instead of the full height as mentioned in the book then?"

The outfeed should be even with the knife TDC. I've read that some folks go a little below but I don't. Infeed table adjusts easily but as stated I set it for 1/32" cut unless I'm doing something unusual.

Outfeed - level.
Infeed - 1/32" cut.

Paul Simmel
04-27-2007, 9:18 PM
>>> Once you get your outfeed table set to the proper height, the depth of cut can be changed as your needs change. If you are trying to true up on edge on a bowed piece, you may elect to take a bigger cut than 1/32" just to reduce the number of passes required.

Exactly.

The “proper height” (of the outfeed side) is perfect when your straight edge is barely (barely) touched by the knives’ edge as you rotate the cutter head.

I will easily drop the infeed ¼” or more for a long, bowed piece (edging). There’s no reason to take less off in one pass, then, for the final one or two passes I’ll even set to 1/64”.

Bob, I don’t follow you:

>>> So I should consider a 1/32 inch high cut and adjust the table to that instead of the full height as mentioned in the book then?

What’s the “full height” mentioned? If you follow the above your will not go wrong.

-=-=-=-

>>> I lay my machinest rule on the outfeed and I check each blade top dead center then I move the rule over and check each blade every inch or so.

Ted… so the question is, what are you going to do if you find a discrepancy 1” over from the last inch, but on the next inch you’re good. ???

Dan Forman
04-28-2007, 3:22 AM
Here is a good jointer tune up tutorial. Save it for when things get out of whack later.:eek:

http://woodworking.homeip.net/wood/Tuning%20Tools/Jointers/Jointers.html

Dan