PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
04-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Friday April 27th, 2007

Well, I'm getting a late start this morning. Had a lot of things to do first thing this morning and almost forgot the "Doins" thread.

After a couple of days of rain we are supposed to have a great weekend. Sun and warming up into the 70's. :)

Tomorrow is the "Creeker" gathering in Eau Claire at Joe Briede's place. :D Weather will be excellent and that will be the iceing on the cake. Looking forward to a great day. :)

We'll be thinking of ya'll that can't make it, and will raise a glass in your honor.

So what's on your agenda for the weekend? Whatever it may be, please make it a safe one and we'll see you Monday.

Karl

Mark Engel
04-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Looks like the weather is going to be rain around here for the weekend. Had planned to get some yard work done, but I guess not.

Plan B is to try and make some progress on another kitchen cabinet I started a couple of weeks ago.

Jeff Heil
04-27-2007, 12:05 PM
I am fitting the inset drawers for this dresser project I am finishing. I have all the HB dovetails cut with my D4 and just need a little time with a plane to make them fit perfectly.

Here's a picture of the carcass so far: All show surfaces are white oak with poplar as a secondary wood. The design was influenced by Stickley's Harvey Ellis 7 drawer dresser. I added the paneled sides and omitted the back rail so a removable changing table top can be used while it is in the baby's room.

The dresser is approx 52"Wx22"Dx34"H.

Greg Cole
04-27-2007, 12:12 PM
The weather is supposed to cooperate here in KC as it's been a rainy week, so I should be able to get to start on the deck that I poured the footers for last weekend... this is the last piece of the complete exterior house remodel I started last fall (siding, windows, trim, front entrance railing, roof & old deck removal).
I also have tickets to the races at the KS Speedway, so I'll have to knock off early tomorrow to go to the Craftsman Truck Race, I will skip the IRL race though... couldn't they have scheduled this race around my projects? LOLOL Then again when the Bushwakcers & Nextel Cup come to town I'll make sure to have a clean slate that weekend!

Greg

glenn bradley
04-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Great weather in SoCal. Hoping to get nearly done with my next workbench top. If I can get to the point where I'm preparing stock for the trim, I'll be a happy guy. This project has taken over my shop and I'm getting claustrophobic.

Dave Anderson NH
04-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Working on the blanket chest for my SIL. Oh yeah, I'm taking delivery tomorrow on a Powermatic 15" planer with a spiral cutterhead.

Al Willits
04-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Ted, your on your own this weekend, no cleaning for this guy....well except the car, but that don't count...or does it????

Taking off at noon today to get ready for the Creeker gathering Sat, got a salad to make and try to figure what else to bring, then Sat Tyler and myself are off to Wisc, and anybody else if they want to tag along btw.

Tonight will get over to the Minn woodworkers show and show beasty what I'd like to be able to make someday....and meet another creeker or two I bet, two creeker meets in a weekend makes a great weekend.

Sunday I start routering the rails and styles for the doors on the storage cabinet, decided to go with curly cherry for them and white oak for the raised panels, if this thing doesn't fall over by its self and looks reasonably decent, I'll post it in the wanna be woodworker section...:)

Ya all have a good and safe weekend, remember only you can start forest fires, so bring plenty of matches.....

Al...yes I'm kidding...

Tyler Howell
04-27-2007, 1:32 PM
Busy!!!
Headed to EAU.
Have movers getting some of my toyls out of the basement for transport up to the new place.
Punch list of projects and yard work.
Going to Northwoods show for a look see

Justin McCurdy
04-27-2007, 1:34 PM
I have 19 more Blue Spruce to get in the ground ASAP. We have had preventative weather this week but I think we should get a break this weekend.

I need to pick up gas for the lawn equipment so I can get them from the shed to the garage to clean up in preparation for the first cuts of the year. I will either sharpen or replace the tractor blades. I think I have hit a few too many foreign objects since our yard was planted 4 years ago.

I plan on getting a little grass seed on the bare parts of the yard that once housed a pallet of TREX.

I'll be listening to the NFL draft while I play with the shop toys, Go Steelers. I hope they take Posluzny or Ginn Jr. Hines Ward is getting a bit up there in years and either one of these guys could fall to 15.

Have a nice weekend,
Justin

Fred Voorhees
04-27-2007, 1:36 PM
Simply resting up tonight (Fri). Am in the final days of my imposed work stoppage due to my carpal tunnel surgery. Tomorrow (Sat) will....FINALLY...be my first visit of the season to the New Egypt Speedway for some big block modified dirt track racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aItexCfrJog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhCH5NWQsMM

Sunday will find a few of the buddies over to take in the days NEXTEL NASCAR event and help to celebrate the LOML's birthday.

Nancy Laird
04-27-2007, 1:36 PM
Working on the blanket chest for my SIL. Oh yeah, I'm taking delivery tomorrow on a Powermatic 15" planer with a spiral cutterhead.

Sounds like a stealth gloat to me, Dave.

As for me, we have turned out four major laser jobs since last Saturday (250 pc., 250 pc., 700 pc., 16 pen boxes), and we now have sitting on the hook another 700-pc. job, a 128-pc. job, a 1500-pc. job, and art for another 250-pc. job that needs to get to the customer by next Friday. My poor little lathe is sitting in the shop feeling very neglected!! We also have a contract with our friend in Hawaii to turn and engrave 20 pens (this month) which may turn into a monthly supply for his gift shop.

Whew!! I have three bottle stopper blanks sitting on the bench waiting to be turned, and the next project is going to be to try a little weed pot from a piece of maple that Scott Donley included when he sent me my auction piece--it's already rounded so I'm going to finish it off.

LOML has to go to Santa Fe again on Saturday to run DC lines in Rick's shop, so I'm going to be baby-sitting the lasers and doing household chores. I may be able to drag hubby away from the house on Sunday long enough for a movie--maybe.

Happy weekend, everyone.

Just a reminder-

Only 241 more days until

Christmas!!!

Time to start thinking about all those projects you didn't get done last year????

(Please, please, please---don't hit me again!!).

Nancy

Ted Miller
04-27-2007, 1:37 PM
Al, You and Ty and all the other creekers have a great meet, would be nice to be there.

I have a kitchen job to finish this weekend, last sets of drawers to Domino tonight and some drawer faces to cut.

Also need to go the lumber yard and stock up this Sunday and maybe I will get the chance to work on my own home and kitchen during the week.

Al I guess I will clean alone then.

Everyone please be safe this weekend...

Andrew Williams
04-27-2007, 1:54 PM
I'm still really busy so haven't had much time to work on the shaker blanket chest, but it is finally assembled. Hopefully this weekend will see the front and back feet attached at least and maybe work on some experimental putties made from maple dust and shellac or hide glue.

Jim Becker
04-27-2007, 7:42 PM
I'm hoping to be in the shop for most of the weekend, although if things dry out, I REALLY need to cut the lawn. That will take awhile as it's high and will likely require two passes and some areas skipped due to, umm...pooling water.

This is all assuming I get some sleep...I just had a "two day" day-trip for work...got stuck in O'Hare last night after the flight crew "timed out" when we made it to third in line for take-off. This was late in the evening after leaving home at 5am ET that morning; took a couple hours to get re-booked, find a hotel room, buy a toothbrush, etc. Flew back via MSP today and finally got home at about 4:30p. I'm beat........

Jack Ganssle
04-28-2007, 8:15 AM
Good friends I've never met are coming from out of town for dinner (we've been Internet pals for 15 yrs, this will be the first face-to-face). Mowing, cleaning. Have to get the diesel on the sailboat running as we are pulling her to do the bottom in a week or so.

But I'm hoping to make some progress in the shop on the end table that's been in progress forever.

Jack

Chris Barton
04-28-2007, 8:25 AM
Soccer with the 9yo this morning, work on the infamous Penn hutch this afternoon, lathe time early evening to night. FIL is in town. That motivates me to find things to do...

Bill Arnold
04-28-2007, 8:27 AM
For what I'm doin' this weekend, see my thread "Our Place is a Zoo" :D

Al Willits
04-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Ted, you won't be cleaning alone this weekend....washed the car then got the vacuum out, filter was plugged, so cleaned and blew out the filter, also blew off the sawdust that went from the filter onto half the garage, vacuumed out the car, then just got done washing the car again.
As it seems it was a bit more windy than I thought, and the car looks like a pile of sawdust...so

We b cleaning together Ted......the world is right now.....:D

Have a great weekend all, see ya in Wisc in a bit..

Al

Steve Clardy
04-28-2007, 11:34 AM
Off to go cut some firewood for this coming winters wood supply.

Tomorrow.................have no idea at the moment.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2007, 11:40 AM
A few hours work at a local hosptial today......package up a shipment for a friend and get it shipped if FedEx Grd will take it today....This afternoon try to shovel out the mess in my UNFINISHED shop.......This evening oldest son and wife coming over for cookout. Tomorrow morning, try to clean out shop some more.....Tomorrow afternoon, a Creeker is coming by for a visit...and I get to be the one to shove him into the vortex.....The Abyss! Misery loves company!:D

Matt Meiser
04-29-2007, 2:10 PM
Lots of work work for me. My main customer asked if I could try to get a bunch of stuff done for him to tide him over until we can have a "conversation" in a few weeks when I start my new job. Lucky for him my current employer doesn't have a non-compete contract with me.

Dennis Peacock
04-29-2007, 6:21 PM
It's work for the day job Karl....and church on Sunday and then maybe I'll get a little shop time in Sunday afternoon/Evening for some more work on the brick-stack ends of the table and finish that up as well as work on finishing up some turnings I've committed to the National Kidney Foundation auction that will be held in May.

Have a great weekend!!!