PDA

View Full Version : Question for those of you who have an Incra Tablesaw Fence

Brad Tallis
04-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Hello All-

I have the Incra TS-III table saw fence and absolutely love it. However, lately, when I release the fence "lock" device, the teeth do not separate and I have to "jiggle" the fence around to get the teeth to release. It has gotten bad enough that I actually have to stick a screwdriver in the release area to pry the teeth to disengage.

I put a bit of lubricant on the hinge, but it hasn't seemed to help much. It's almost like the return spring is not strong enough to disengage the teeth.

I was curious if anyone else has experienced this issue? If so, any resolutions?

Thank you-

Brad

Dave Falkenstein
04-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Try calling Woodpeckers and talk to their technicians. They have alweays been helpful with me when I called.

www.woodpeck.com

Don Bullock
04-27-2007, 1:15 PM
You could try contacting Incra as well. I'm sure that they will have a solution. Please let us know what you find out.

tom crawford
04-27-2007, 2:06 PM
I've had that problem. The issue was not the primary lock but the one for micro adjustment. I just move it forward/back it and everything releases.

John Lucas
04-27-2007, 3:41 PM
Tom beat me to it. The lever for the micro-adjust is the culprit on my TS III. Move it back to locked, and your other should work normally.

Brad Tallis
04-27-2007, 6:00 PM
Hello All-

I ended up calling the Incra tech-support people, and like some of you had said, he mentioned two things that can cause the problem.

The first one is the micro-adjust lever. He said that if you barely touch it, it will engage.

He said the second culprit could be the teeth blocks themselves. They are so finely machined that sometimes they "suction" together. He recommended spraying them with a silicone spray.

Then he added an extra tip. He said if you want your Incra fence to slide really smooth, wipe Pledge on the fence rails, and any part that slides against another part. Don't spray it on, wipe it on, he said...

So, I will check the fence tonight and see if it's the micro-adjust lever and I'll try the silicone spray this weekend.

Thanks for your replies.

Brad

Don Bullock
04-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Hello All-

...Then he added an extra tip. He said if you want your Incra fence to slide really smooth, wipe Pledge on the fence rails, and any part that slides against another part. Don't spray it on, wipe it on, he said...

Brad

Brad, thanks for reporting back. I'll try the Pledge on my new TS LS Fence system.:D

Jim Dunn
04-27-2007, 10:44 PM
I don't think you want to use silicone in your shop do you?? Can't it cause finishing problem? I thought I had read that some where on here. Hope you get your problem taken care of.

Don Bullock
04-27-2007, 10:51 PM
I don't think you want to use silicone in your shop do you?? ...

Jim, you made a good point there. Maybe that's why he specifically said to wipe it on. The parts to be wiped don't come in contact with wood.

John Lucas
04-28-2007, 7:49 AM
I don't think you want to use silicone in your shop do you?? Can't it cause finishing problem? I thought I had read that some where on here. Hope you get your problem taken care of.

Jim,
I think you are right. I wouldnt want to introduce it to the shop. There are plenty of safe lubicants for the shop. The one I use for the Incra systems is DriCote...a spray lubricant.
http://www.woodcraft.com/images/family/web7336big.jpg

Available at WOodcraft. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=7336

Don Bullock
04-28-2007, 10:51 AM
John, thanks for the suggestions. I'll pick up a can DriCote of when I'm at Rockler next Friday.

Brad Tallis
04-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Hello All-

Well, I tried the Silicone spray on the teeth of the Incra Fence, and sure enough, it did the job. I spent most of the weekend in the shop (building Norm's Router Table project) and not once did the fence lever-release stick.

I applied the Silicone to the black teeth and a little to the "hinge" of the lever.

I haven't tried the "pledge" idea yet as I was just happy the fence was back and working. It was almost better than new.

Brad

Don Bullock
04-30-2007, 1:21 PM
Great news Brad. Thanks for bringing up the problem and letting us know that it has been solved.