PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Bowl 1st DNA - Slippery elm ?

steven carter
04-27-2007, 10:27 AM
I've got months to go with anchorsealed blanks, this is my first attempt using DNA for drying. Which I had known about this method sooner, but better late than never (or is it better never late?) Anyway bowl is 8" x 4". A friend dropped off some slippery elm(red elm) last night, anyone ever turned this?

Mark Cothren
04-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Nice bowl, Steven! Cherry is one of my favorite woods. Gotta love that DNA...:D

TYLER WOOD
04-27-2007, 12:07 PM
I have turned what we call Chinese Elm (piss elm). Not sure if that is actually what it is or what you are calling red/slippery elm. I found it pretty easy to turn, but the sanding is a B!!!!! It is an interlocking grain type of wood which makes getting a nice surface near impossible without going up to 1200 grit and steel wool. It will warp and move on you but should not have a lot of problems with cracking. Good luck!

I did finally get somewhat of nice surface to be able to put a nice finish on a platter. You can search my name and see the platter in one of my posts. I was very proud to turn it as it was my first platter. Now I am in the process of turning a cottonwood (another interlocking grain) platter 19" diamter!!:eek: HUGE for me. I do have more elm and am planning on turning it as I enjoyed the challenge of sanding. If you can get a finish on elm you can do it on anything!

William Bachtel
04-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Red Elm, is great wood, turn it, you will love the end results, some people find it hard to turn, but stay withit, practice, practice, practice makes perfect.

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Steven the bowl looks great. It is a beauty. DNA works great. Red Elm is great to turn. You must make sure it is completely dry because if you don't it will move on you. You have what you thought was a nice dry round bowl only to find the next morning it is oblong, etc. It is beautiful wood and like William said practice makes perfect.

steven carter
04-27-2007, 1:37 PM
Thanks guys, it is information like this that makes this forum so valuable. I will give it extra time to dry to hopefully avoid any movement problems..It's good to know about finishing also, I could have been scratching my head wondering what I was doing wrong. In a few weeks, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Keith Burns
04-27-2007, 2:25 PM
Nice cherry bowl Steven !! DNA rocks doesn't it?

Steve Schlumpf
04-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Nice looking bowl Steve - absolutely love working with cherry! Wait a few weeks and you'll start to notice the color becoming darker. Color just keeps improving from there! Looking forward to your next turning!