PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1220 vs Rikon

Jay Yoder
04-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi all...i am looking to begin turning and was wondering everyone's opinion which is better a 1220 (with extensions to come later) or the Rikon midi? Or should i go with the 1236? Maybe start small and see how i like it first...advice greatly appreciated.

Mike Ramsey
04-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Hi all...i am looking to begin turning and was wondering everyone's opinion which is better a 1220 (with extensions to come later) or the Rikon midi? Or should i go with the 1236? Maybe start small and see how i like it first...advice greatly appreciated.

If you don't like it.....you will certainly be in a very very small minority!
I think you'll find you'll want to go bigger sooner than you think.

steven carter
04-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Jay,

I don't know anything about the 1220 or Rikkon, but I got the 1236 for my first lathe in January, and have been very happy with it so far. The only thing I had to do was cut some plywood to put on the leg braces and add some ballast. It will tend to walk around with you with large unbalanced pieces. Some bags of concrete on the shelf will make it pretty stable.

Benjamin Dahl
04-27-2007, 11:33 AM
I have been happy with my rikon. I will probably get a larger lathe eventually but will still keep the rikon. I have not turned on the jet but hear they are nice too.
Ben

Mark Pruitt
04-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Of the three you mention I would go with the 1220, for these reasons. (1) Jet has a better track record for quality than Rikon. (2) The 1220, unlike the 1236, is portable. Its portability will make it worth holding on to for a long time, even after you upgrade to a larger lathe if you choose to do so in the future.

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2007, 12:44 PM
I have the Rikon and when I upgraded I kept it for small project. I really like it and have not had a lick of problems with it.

Gordon Seto
04-27-2007, 3:29 PM
Jay,

If the 1220 is based on the Jet mini lathe, then I would give it a serious look. I had the 1236 as my first lathe. I traded it UP for the mini. IMO, the Reeves drive on 1236 is high maintenance and induces vibration. The Jet mini is more enjoyable to use than the 1236.
Last year, Russ Fairfield reported that he had 5 Jet mini and 5 Rikon lathes in his teaching studio. The 5 Rikon were falling apart. All the lathes in teaching environment are subject to rougher handling.

Gordon