PDA

View Full Version : Rename Neanderthal?

Mark Singer
12-31-2003, 3:45 PM
Hi ,
whenever I check out SMC... there are 46 people viewing the POWER TOOL FORUM and a measley 3 people viewing NEANDERTHAL...the ratio of hand tool guys to power tool can't be that great? Does the name have certain demeaning connotations? Do members feel like they might be Neanderthals if the happen to peek over there?

How about calling it "WOODWORKING UNPLUGGED" or "CORDLESS CRUSADERS" or "PASSION WITHOUT POWER"

Maybe I should mind my own business...!
<h2>Happy New Year Everyone...</h2>
Mark

Mark Singer
12-31-2003, 3:48 PM
PS,
I have it on the power tool side so maybe somebody might see it....

Dennis Peacock
12-31-2003, 4:14 PM
Mark,

There is a lot of power tool users here as well as a lot of hand tool users. I post on the non-powertool side when I have questions about problems I am having with my non-corded tools. I get recommendations and advice on the neander side that is 2nd to none. I am quickly learning that all woodworking can't effeciently be done with all power tools and some hand work is needed.

Only in the last 2 years have I learned about hand planes and how great they are for many applications in normal woodworking. I only learned about scrapers in the last 6 months and I don't know how I ever got along without scrapers since I have experienced them personally.

So I guess you could say that it is a mixture of power and non-power tools that makes up a completed woodworking project...even if it is only using chisels and a mallet.

Mac McAtee
12-31-2003, 6:22 PM
How about Tradtional Woodworking or Handtool Basics?

John Miliunas
12-31-2003, 6:23 PM
Mark, I kill many, many electrons in my visits to the shop. Mainly, I'm a power tool kinda' guy, but sometimes I yearn for the Neander side. In my case, one nasty word makes hand work difficult, at best: arthritis. Heck, even some power tool functions hurt a bit more to do than others. I'd love to be able to do some of the carving, handcut dovetails and even the smoothing and molding my Neander bretheren do. But I digress. Regarding the Neanderthal thing, I can see what you're trying to say, but knowing some of the guys over there (and I visit *regularly*!), I really think the term is used with a very certain amount of affection. It's not meant to be given, nor is it taken offensively. Leastwise, I don't think it is! Were it within my abilities to produce some of the wonderful work these folks create, I'd be proud to call myself a Neander! For what it's worth, I think it's kinda' cool. Just my humble opinion, of course.... :cool:

Walt Pater
12-31-2003, 6:33 PM
How 'bout "NeHANDerthal?"
(Note to self: no jokes in the New Year)

Ace Karner
12-31-2003, 6:35 PM
It's worked fine for 11 months now, don't see any reason to change it now.

ace

Mark Singer
12-31-2003, 6:37 PM
John,
Thanks for taking the time ... I think your explination is right on! It doesn't matter what they call us it is what we do... I love both sides , I was practically born with a chisel in ny hand from my dad and grandfathers influence... since then I 've sort of adopted " whatever tool gets you there faster and with the best result" I don't know why more folks are on the Power side...I guess we are a bit power hungry... the great sound of a powermatic 66 or a big planer...! Thats power...now my ECE Primus....A Nicolson #49...thats a "smooth operator"... I am really glad I am part of the group... we're all different and thats what makes it great...
Besides my wifes been calling me a neandethal for years...
Happy New Year
Mark

Mark Singer
12-31-2003, 6:39 PM
Ace ,
don't take me too serious I'm just having fun... But there are many more on the power side..
Happy New Year
Mark

Ron Meadows
12-31-2003, 7:03 PM
Add one vote to the "be quiet" side of this debate. There were no negative cannotations implied by using Neanderthal......................none of those guys have knuckles that drag the ground, at least other than that Gersty fella!!!

Ron

Ken Salisbury
12-31-2003, 8:39 PM
Old Addage:
If it ain't broke - don't fix it

Tyler Howell
12-31-2003, 8:57 PM
I get a lot of attention when I start talking about being a Neander-Wana-Bee with my friends. Don't steel my thunder

TJH

Bruce Haugen
12-31-2003, 9:15 PM
I'm the new guy here, but a little historical perspective might be useful. The term "neanderthal" was first used over on the wreck, rec.woodworking, back in the early 1990's. I wish I knew the guy's name, but he didn't intend it as a friendly term. He was looking for some derogatory way to describe those of us who were devotees of hand tools. Of course, over the years many hand tool users have gladly picked up that nom de plume and worn it proudly.

While I'm new (this is my first post here) I sure would prefer to keep the historic tradition alive and keep us connected to the other knuckle-draggers across the world.

Bruce, an original Galoot.

Hi ,
whenever I check out SMC... there are 46 people viewing the POWER TOOL FORUM and a measley 3 people viewing NEANDERTHAL...the ratio of hand tool guys to power tool can't be that great? Does the name have certain demeaning connotations? Do members feel like they might be Neanderthals if the happen to peek over there?

How about calling it "WOODWORKING UNPLUGGED" or "CORDLESS CRUSADERS" or "PASSION WITHOUT POWER"

Maybe I should mind my own business...!
<h2>Happy New Year Everyone...</h2>
Mark

Steven Wilson
12-31-2003, 9:44 PM
Neanderthal is just fine. I prefer to call my self a normander. Mark, do you really want a ton of electron folk's coming over here? The number of folk's posting on this side of the creek is just fine, no reason to spoil a good fishing hole!

Terry Hatfield
12-31-2003, 9:49 PM
There are tools without cords?? ;) Like screwdrivers or what? :D

Terry

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-31-2003, 10:57 PM
I also think that the Neanderthal Forum is aptly named, and I vote it stays as it is. Like Ken says........"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" And for the comment that Ron made about the knuckles draggin' the ground...................you just cannot listen to him much........the Boy ain't right! :D

David Durgy
01-01-2004, 5:57 AM
How 'bout "NeHANDerthal?"
(Note to self: no jokes in the New Year)

Powers on experience.
I've got to power it to you.
He's very powery.
Power Job. :eek:

Just don't sound right.

Anyone win the Handball drawing last night?

Ron Meadows
01-01-2004, 8:05 AM
For those who don't realize it.....Kevin and I spend quite a bit of time in the chat room bantering back and forth and having a great time. I meant absolutely no harm in the comments in my previous post.......just diggin' at Kevin.

For those of you who haven't ventured into the chat room....we have a great time in there discussing a myriad of topics.....sometimes even woodworking....come on in and sit a spell.

Ron

Bobby Hatfield
01-01-2004, 10:33 AM
There are tools without cords?? ;) Like screwdrivers or what? :D

Terry

but with much wider, sharper points, and then there are some little wood and iron boxes with handles that you slide along a plank and it shaves off little thin pieces of the wood leaving it smoother and thinner. There is even one long flat steel thing with notches along one edge and has a wood handle on one end and it will cut a board if you slide it back and forth on the board with the little notches on the board. They is lots more, I'll bring pitchers to show you someday. Here is one pitcher of an OleGrouch using one of them smoothin things. Bobby

Terry Hatfield
01-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Bobby,

Just the picture makes my back hurt. :D

t

John Miliunas
01-01-2004, 12:24 PM
OK Bobby. I don't see a cord anywhere. So where does the battery go? :confused: :cool:

Bobby Hatfield
01-01-2004, 1:23 PM
John, it runs on air, the stuff I gulp in great quanities after every 3 or 4 swipes across the board. Bobby

Todd Burch
01-01-2004, 1:28 PM
Bobby, you are on the wrong side of it! Kinda like sitting on the handlebars of a bicycle and riding it at the same time. Go figure. Todd.

Mark Singer
01-01-2004, 1:41 PM
Yeah, and you can skip going to the Gym...
Mark

Bobby Hatfield
01-01-2004, 4:03 PM
Todd, there ain't no right side to be on, on that thang, its tough, it pulls eaiser than pushes, takes more muscle to push. I built up my muscles pulling and sliding and flipping die-sets on presses and milling machines and can't push a fly. Bobby