PDA

View Full Version : Must be doing this wrong

Chris Teenor
02-28-2003, 9:56 PM
Keith & Co,

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. I've marked the Tools forum as read several times, but I don't know what to look for in the way of being able to tell posts I've already viewed. What do I need to do? In other forums, I've been able to tell previously read posts by a change in their color. What is it that indicator on this board?

Thanks for your help and for a great meeting place.

-Chris

Dr. Zack Jennings
02-28-2003, 10:22 PM
The little envelope turns grey only after you "Mark all posts read".
The symbol goes active again when another reply is added.
The dot in the envelope means you have replied, at least once, to this thread.
A thread lives on as long as it continues to receive new replies.
On the "Pond" a thread died out as it moved down the list and became forgotten.
There are advantages to both systems. I love all the trick features of the vB software,but it is difficult to remember which threads have been read. I think you just need to get used to it.

Ian MacDonald
03-01-2003, 2:09 AM
I find that I'm frequently just using the "View New Posts" link on the main Saw Mill Creek page. (It's up on top-right side under the "Welcome Back" line.) This feature finds all the threads in all the forums that have new messages.

Regards,

-- Ian

Ruby in NC
03-01-2003, 6:29 AM
I've found that I'm using the "View New Posts" link, too. Another thing I'm experimenting with is to either "mark all forums read" or simply logging out and logging back in, then hitting "View New Posts" again. These will clear out all the read messages from the new posts listing.

I'm still having some problems with navigating to the first unread message within a thread. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But, that may simply be poor technique on my part. :eek:

The blue/yellow color coding and the envelope dots are proving to be very helpful in keeping up with this board.

Hope my 2-cents is useful.

Regards,
Ruby

Jason Roehl
03-01-2003, 6:48 AM
Originally posted by Chris Teenor
Keith & Co,

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. I've marked the Tools forum as read several times, but I don't know what to look for in the way of being able to tell posts I've already viewed. What do I need to do? In other forums, I've been able to tell previously read posts by a change in their color. What is it that indicator on this board?

Thanks for your help and for a great meeting place.

-Chris

Chris-

You may not be logged in. Try looging in and THEN mark things as read. Then, when you are done at the Creek, DON'T LOGOUT. You will be automatically logged out after you have left for a bit. Then when you come back, you are automatically logged back in, and what you have read will be marked as such.

Jason