PDA

View Full Version : Gloat and Grizzly G0555X mini-review

Jack Ganssle
04-27-2007, 9:45 AM
I picked up a Grizzly G0555X 14" bandsaw at their wonderful store in Muncy, PA last weekend and thought a few comments might be of interest. There have been a lot of reviews about the G0555 model but none I've found about the "X" version, "X" being for "extreme."

Pictures below. Daughter not included. Sawdust piled on top to appease the "start making dust crowd!" though mostly that's jointer chips.

Why the X version? Resawing is important to me, and there's no way I can get a bigger machine down the stairs into my basement shop. The X has a 1.5 hp motor compared to the 1 hp on the G0555, and it comes with the (an $85 option on the G0555) tall resaw fence. The built-in light is appealing, as are the cast iron wheels (aluminum on the G0555). The cast iron table is larger as well, and the whole machine mounts on a heavier cabinet. Note that I also got the riser block option.

The machine is well-made, sporting plenty of cast iron. Heavy tables, beefy frame. It saws like a dream and so far hasn't slowed on anything I've pushed through the blade. A 3/4 Timberwolf 0.025" blade tracks perfectly and works well. There is a little blade drift but it takes seconds to adjust the fence to compensate. The standard fence is cast iron and massive.

A few minor nits:
- The table lock knobs don't really lock the table very well. Adding a fender washer under each completely cures the problem.
- The light is great. but it illuminates from the back. The hood is short so the bulb sticks out a bit. It's easy to be blinded by it. A longer gooseneck would be nice, too. I'll probably relocate it somewhere.
- The lower left guide adjustment knob is somewhat hard to get to without tilting the table.
- The upper guide assembly isn't deep enough. The casting needs to be 3/16" deeper to position the guides just behind the gullets of a wide (3/4) blade. I'll file that out as there's plenty of material there.
- The manual is completely inadequate. It doesn't cover all of the adjustments, though anyone with some bandsaw experience will quickly figure them out.
- The blade tension knob, like on so many 14" saws, is small. I'm looking into replacing it with a handwheel.

Nitpicking aside, the saw is a great deal that I highly recommend to anyone looking for a really good 14" model.

One amusing moment: When my wife heard the price she said, "oh, I thought it was going to be a couple of thousand." Sputtering I wanted to tell her about the important optional accessories, like the lathe and sander it requires, but there was no way to stuff anything else into the car!

Jack

John Bailey
04-27-2007, 9:57 AM
Looks like a winner Jack!! The bandsaw's not bad either.:):)

John

Roger Savatteri
04-27-2007, 10:04 AM
congrats on the new saw,
hmmm, I think though....... I would be a little concerned about the saw being located so close to that gas heater.

all the best.

Paul Douglass
04-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the review. A bandsaw is my next tool purchase so I am always intrested in these reviews. The only thing I notice that I don't like about that saw is all the stickers! I hate a bunch of stickers on machines. Now who is nit picky?:)

I'm not sure I understand about the light coming from the back? I look at the Grizzly online catalog and it looks like the light has a fairly long arm that puts it out in front of the saw. Is it shorter than the catalog indicates?

Ted Miller
04-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Jack, I have the same saw in the same exact place in my shop/garage, in front of my gas heater by the furnance. I added the extension to resawing but last weekend I was ruined as I used the Laguna LT18 with their guides, oh man I think my Griz is going to be given to a freind to make room for the Laguna. The Griz has done its fair share of work with no problems, just want a larger more accurate saw...

Dennis Kelly
04-27-2007, 1:02 PM
Hello Jack,
Congrats on the purchase. I also live in maryland and have been tempted by the drive to the PA location. How long was the trip?

Also, what is the maximum resaw capacity on that model?

Deke

Don Bullock
04-27-2007, 1:09 PM
Jack, congratulations on the new Griz band saw. It looks like you've already put it to good use. I'm sorry that you couldn't convince your wife that you needed the important optional accessories. I know the feeling.;) :D

Jack Ganssle
04-27-2007, 1:54 PM
Paul – the light is mounted via a stalk, a gooseneck of sorts, to the rear upper part of the saw. It’s about 14” long, I’d guess, so the light can’t be positioned to, say, peer down the insert hole at the lower guides. I sorta thought it would be longer, too.

Deke – with the riser block it’s 12”. Without it’s 6”. I thought about this a lot, and realized I can resaw to around 6” on the TS (though don’t like doing that at all), so got the riser block to add new capability to the shop. Also, it was around a 3 hr drive each way, though that’s a guess as we did some detouring which made the trip longer. Do note that the Grizzly store is a bit smaller than I’d imagined. There are a lot of cool machines there, but the 250,000 sq ft talk in the catalog pertains to the warehouse, not the store. If you plan to go there's a tent sale there in May sometime.

Ted – My hands are over my ears! I don’t want to hear about a better saw yet!

Jack