PDA

View Full Version : Bed project finished (heavy on pics)

Fred Voorhees
04-27-2007, 9:02 AM
Well, the delivery of the platform bed for my niece was pushed ahead by two days. That was fine with me. This post is an addendum to the first post regarding this project. The previous post contained the first half of the picture series of the project and can be found at this address:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=53669

With the help of these three bits, I cut a dado in the back, rounded the two top edges and cut a nice profile into the bottom face of the arc and it was ready to mount to the headboard.

By now, I had had my carpal tunnel surgery on my left wrist, so I was a bit hampered as to what I could do in the shop. I did the previous arc on the headboard the day after the surgery and the next day, I went out and fabbed up the “cap” for the tops of the side pieces of the base. I used some white oak for the caps for its superior density and hardness since they would be climbed over each time my niece got into and out of bed. Using the dado blades on my table saw and two different sized round over bits in the router table, I came up with this for the cap.

Fred Voorhees
04-27-2007, 9:04 AM
It was time to fabricate the footboard and it was a fairly simple process. Two corner uprights, a top and a field of ¼” oak ply was all that was involved. Here is the piece after it was sized to the width of the beds base.

After fitting in the ¼” plywood, I mounted it in position and reached in to trace where the cutouts for the back drawers were to be located.

All of the drawers were up next. I made them all the same depth so that one single setup on the dovetail jig was all that was needed. Here is the stock ready for milling down to size for the drawer carcasses.

Fred Voorhees
04-27-2007, 9:06 AM
The Leigh D4 dovetail jig has proven to be one of the best additions to my shop. It isn’t used very often, but when it is used, it comes through with flying colors. Here are a few pics detailing the process and its two wanted results – pins and tails.

A quick sanding brings everything down to a nice flush finish.

Fred Voorhees
04-27-2007, 9:08 AM
After milling up the rail and stile elements of the drawer fronts and adding a ¼” oak panel inside, I needed to add some pieces of ¼” ply to take up the void behind the panel where the drawer pulls were to be located.

Then it was a simple job of locating them to the drawer carcasses and screwing them together.

I then moved to the base and finished up putting in the elements that served to support and guide the drawers into their closed positions.

A very simple method that I picked up a number of years ago on how to allow a smooth glide to the drawers is to use these plastic pieces of drywall outside corner guard stuff that protects corners of finished drywall from getting dinged up. You simply cut it to length and hotmelt glue it to the bottom of the drawer sides. It makes for a very smooth gliding operation of the drawers.

Fred Voorhees
04-27-2007, 9:10 AM
With the footboard mounted back onto the base assembly, and the two drawers in place, I used blue painters tape to help in locating the position of the two false drawer fronts. Once the locations were mapped out, double stick tape was used to temporarily stick the fronts to the footboard and then I could drill all holes that were needed to mount the drawers

That was basically it as far as construction of the bed. I used 1 ¼” lag screws to attach both the headboard and footboard from the insides. Went with a new finish and application to me. I used Zar tung oil/polyurethane wipe on in a semi gloss and six coats. And just in case anyone is interested – there is roughly 260 pocket screws employed in the construction.

Once the finishing work was complete, all there was left to do was to deliver it and set it up, making for a happy niece!

Tyler Howell
04-27-2007, 9:12 AM
Turned out Great Fred!
I want one

John Timberlake
04-27-2007, 9:13 AM
Great looking piece. Love the design - gives lots of storage. And thanks for sharing the steps along the way. We can always learn from the way others do things.

Tim Lynch
04-27-2007, 9:19 AM
Great! Nice design and execution. I appreciate the documentation too.

Don Bullock
04-27-2007, 9:24 AM
Fred, that bed came out great. Your niece looks like she's happy to have it. Excellent craftsmanship.

Your detailed directions are very helpful. As I said on your original post, I'm sure a platform bed in king size is in my not to distant future (a couple of years after I retire and we move). Your information and design ideas will be helpful as I plan that out.

Zahid Naqvi
04-27-2007, 9:50 AM
looks good, thanks for putting in some of the construction details.

Jason Tuinstra
04-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Fred, very nice job. Looks like there is plenty of storage - what girl wouldn't like that? And given the smiles, looks like a very satisfied customer as well. Good job.

Dan Lee
04-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Really good looking product and thanks for the construction details

glenn bradley
04-27-2007, 11:17 AM
She does look happy and with good reason. Looks terrific.

Mark Engel
04-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Excellent job! And, an excellent tutorial!

Howie French
04-27-2007, 2:53 PM
Fred, very Nice! thanks for posting

Howie

Hank Knight
04-27-2007, 3:00 PM
Great job, Fred! Your daughter will treasure that for years. I'll bet your grand kid will too.

Roy Wall
04-27-2007, 4:04 PM
Uncle Fred has pulled through BIG TIME!!

Nice work and photos.......it's Terrific!

Last photo says it ALL - Great JOB!!

Jim Becker
04-27-2007, 7:43 PM
Wowsa, Fred! Lucky girl! Great bed!

Bill Braga Sr.
04-27-2007, 7:51 PM
fred great job, for sure you are more than a sawdust maker............

Fred Voorhees
04-27-2007, 7:59 PM
fred great job, for sure you are more than a sawdust maker............

Hey there Bill. Wonderful to see you on the forum!!! Welcome.