PDA

View Full Version : Quesions on New (Used) Epilog Mini

Charles Rudisill
04-27-2007, 1:22 AM
Dear Creek Members,
I've been lurking on your forum for some time gathering all of your very helpful and creative information--thank you!

I recently purchased a used Epilog mini 18 (2006 vintage, low hours, very good condition from a fellow SawmillCreek memeber), for a "business" project requiring engraving of patterns on molded acrylic parts.

This was shipped via Fedex Ground in the original packaging, and seemed to arrive without any obvious damage (although I know they tipped the box on the side--at least).

I was going to try to fire up the laser today, but I couldnt get the printer driver to work/activate the USB port. Specifically, my laptop wouldnt let me select any USB ports during installation (during driver installation, the USB ports are not listed in the "printer ports" menu listing for some reason--I'm not sure what is going on there). This may be something to do with my laptop. I thought that USB devices should be always be recognized by Windows that they are attached.

The unit powered up, and homed in both axes. I had a question about the alignment of the x-axis carrier rail/linear bearing with respect to the case and "red dot" laser. I noticed that the x-axis rail is not parallel to the covers/case or the table edge (~3/16"), but nothing appears bent or damaged, and everything moves freely. -- it may be just their assembly tolerances, because again nothing appears damaged or bent, or binding, and this part of the mechanism is pretty well protected inside the case.

Also, the red laser is not aligned in the center of the mirrors at zero zero, and gradually drifts off of the mirror altogether as the mirror is moved to the max x-dimension; it appears to stay pretty parallel to the rulers on the table until it runs off the mirror and you cant the dot. The y axis does not run off. I'm not sure where this laser is located in the optical path of the system, maybe it's off-center and this is normal...? Something may have gotten jarred out of alignment (?).

I guess the proof will be when I can get the driver working and actually fire it up and try some cuts.

Any input or comments would be appreciated. Hopefully I can make some contributions in the future! Thanks in advance for your input. Charles

Joe Pelonio
04-27-2007, 10:26 AM
USB ports are not recognized until the device is plugged in and the driver installed. Typically you have to run the installation software for the driver, then plug in the device (laser) when told to by the program. In other cases the device is plugged in and windows recognizes it and asks for the driver disk to be inserted.

The red dot pointer is adjusted separately from the laser beam itself, and it could have been off already or become misaligned during shipping.

Peck Sidara
04-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Congrats on your new purchase Charles. Here are some suggestions.

On your PC, would you happen to be using the new Windows OS Vista? If so, I came across this as well where the USB ports don't automatically populate. What you'll have to do is leave the machine off, PC on, connect the USB cable to both ends (Mini & PC). Turn on the Mini, once the Mini is turned on, look towards the lower right corner of your PC monitor and you should get a message stating Windows detected some type of connectivity. Only after you get this message will you be able to select the specified USB port when installing the driver.

If you're running XP or 2000 on this PC, something else is going on, most likely a configuration issue on the PC.

For the other things you've mentioned, it appears as though the machine could have been a little roughed up during transit. The I-beam doesn't appear to be straight and that's causing your alignment to be off.

Here's a very important number to keep handy....303.215.9171. Epilog's tech support will be able to walk you thru the recalibration of your machine and if the USB issue isn't what I've stated it to be, they'll be able to trouble-shoot it in no time.

My last suggestion is to visit our website and make sure you have the latest version of the driver and that the Mini has the latest firmware.

Regards,

Charles Rudisill
04-27-2007, 1:02 PM
Joe and Peck,
Thanks very much for your reply and help.

I'll check for the latest driver on the website. I installed the driver on the Epilog CD (pc is Windows XP Pro), and there are no USB ports listed in the "Port Options" when going through the install "wizard" . This may be a configuration issue with my pc.

Peck, I apreciate the offer to call the Epilog tech support (since I didn't purchase it new) regarding the driver and alignment. I'll do that this afternoon if possible (I'd like to determine if I need to make any claim from the FedEx shipping....(!).

Thanks again, Charles