PDA

View Full Version : I'm Sick

Tom Collins
04-26-2007, 9:04 PM
Have been doing some spring cleaning around the yard. A small pile of firewood needed splitting and stacked. Gave the job to LOML since she actually likes to run the splitter and stack wood. Was out tonight seeing what else needed to be done and noticed some spectacularly spalted firewood pieces on the pile. They were from a 16-18" diameter piece of hickory that had been sitting on the ground for over a year. If I would have thought it looked like that inside it never would have been firewood and LOML had no idea what it was.

Funny how you look at wood much differently when you do turning. Most of the pieces are too small for bowls and I don't do pens.:( Hopefully, I will still be able to get a couple small blanks out of this.

Pics attached don't really do justice to the wood

Tom C.

CPeter James
04-26-2007, 9:31 PM
Don't feel bad. I cut up into 16" lenghts and split real small a flame birch. It did not show cutting it up, but when I split it, Oh Boy!! I saved a few small pieces to make into lamps, but the tree was 16" to 18" in dia and clear right through. What bowls it would have made.

CPeter

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2007, 10:53 PM
You got that right Tom. You definately as a turner look at wood and tree's in a different way. To bad about the wood.

Jonathon Spafford
04-26-2007, 11:22 PM
That IS sad.... you really should punish yourself somehow! That was just plain careless ;) Actually, you just gotta remind yourself that it does grow on trees :D

Mark Pruitt
04-27-2007, 6:26 AM
Goblets? I'd sure give 'em a spin!

steven carter
04-27-2007, 7:54 AM
Maybe you could make some boxes out of them?

Ken LaSota
04-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Goblets, wine glasses, rolling pins. Give it some thought don't burn it.
Ken

Jason Roehl
04-28-2007, 8:26 AM
I know the feeling. I cut up and split an old maple tree with an elderly neighbor of mine, and some of the pieces we split were splitting into two very wavy pieces. Can you say quilting?

George Tokarev
04-28-2007, 9:39 AM
Well, there's always the fox's approach. "They were probably too far gone anyway."

I need too much wood for a winter to dawdle, and I've split some spectacular pieces out of inattention. Fortunately you do get a second chance, as mentioned. Dry, check for sound in those white areas, and turn some boxes, ornaments or vases.

William Bachtel
04-28-2007, 2:47 PM
Friend of mine, split a huge Curly Cherry log up for firewood, and after he did it, he ask me, why did it split in a wavy manner. It was some of the curlyist Cherry I have seen.