PDA

View Full Version : mission bedroom just about complete

gary Zimmel
04-26-2007, 8:59 PM
Just wanted to share what my other winter project was. All I have to do now is the lowboy and the bedroom suite will be complete. Haven't figured out how many hours it took, (or board feet) but my wife sure likes the finished product. (makes it easier to spend $$$ on tools)

Don Bullock
04-26-2007, 9:05 PM
Very nice. I really like the QS oak on the bed. I can see a similar set being added to my "to do" list in the near future.

Bruce Page
04-26-2007, 9:08 PM
Beautiful bedroom set Gary. I love the warm color. Furniture like that would cost a small fortune – if you could even find it!

Roy McQuay
04-26-2007, 10:03 PM
That is very nice. I'm a fan of qs oak too. That is a very good reason to acquire tools.

Kent E. Matthew
04-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Nicely done. I was thinking mission for the bedroom as well. Then the wife said, "There is no way I'm dusting all of that!!!!"

Roy Wall
04-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Gary -

Awesome work-- you should be very proud. I'm sure the LOYL brags on you about the furniture....you deserve it. Terrific!! Thanks for sharing.

Dan Gill
04-27-2007, 8:50 AM
Very nice! You got some awesome QS grain on that footboard.

I made the same headboard, but we didn't want the footboard because we sit on the end of the bed. I also made two of the dressers from that same set of Wood Mag plans. But the wood I got for the headboard didn't have as much ray fleck as what you have.

Eddie Watkins
04-27-2007, 8:59 AM
Beautiful furniture! You did an outstanding job.

Eddie

Andrew Williams
04-27-2007, 9:00 AM
Really nice! I have to ask? Fumed or dyed? If dyed then which dye did you use?

John Timberlake
04-27-2007, 9:15 AM
Great job. You probably don't want to know how many hours it took. Always seems to take longer than you thought. Lots of mortise and tenon joints. The finish looks perfect. Waiting the see the final piece.

Tyler Howell
04-27-2007, 9:16 AM
Bravo Gary
Well done.

Fred Voorhees
04-27-2007, 9:36 AM
Well, it looks as if bedroom furniture is the menu of the day:D Nice looking work! I have also done a complete bedroom furniture deal in the past and it was well worth the effort.

Zahid Naqvi
04-27-2007, 9:48 AM
Nice work Gary, the grain shows up real well

Jason Tuinstra
04-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Nice bedroom set. The figure on the bed looks especially nice. Great job.

Roger Bell
04-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Gary...........did you make the chest from a store-bought set of plans?

gary Zimmel
04-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Andrew

The project was dyed with Minwax Dark Walnut stain. I would like to try fumed but don't really know much about it. Any comments on it.

Rodger

The plan came from Wood magazine and is one article on the mission bedroom suite

Aaron Beaver
04-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Very nice, glad to see a finished one. This is my next project for our guest bedroom that I will be starting in a week or two. I have all the wood, or most of it anyway to have a good start.

Thanks for the pics.

glenn bradley
04-27-2007, 11:12 AM
I'll chime in with the others. Great job, beautiful figure, etc.

Scott Halverson
04-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Top notch job Gary!

Did you use QS white oak, or QS red oak on the bed.

If you don't mind commenting on the cost of the wood, I would be interested what the board foot price is.

Thanks for sharing,
Scott

Aaron Beaver
04-30-2007, 7:41 PM
Andrew

The project was dyed with Minwax Dark Walnut stain. I would like to try fumed but don't really know much about it. Any comments on it.

Rodger

The plan came from Wood magazine and is one article on the mission bedroom suite

Gary, one more question. Did you buy/have the mattress before you finished. I know you can make that bed to fit any size, just wondering if you made the bed first by using a "general" size and then bought the mattress to fit inside of it.

Thanks

Adrian Early
04-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Maybe its the angle on your camera, but that looks like a King Size bed from here. If so, can you share detail on how you retrofitted the plans to accomodate the extra width?

What issue of Wood magazine did your plans come from?

Beautiful work. Truly inspirational.

gary Zimmel
05-01-2007, 12:48 AM
First of all THANKS for all your great comments....

Aaron- We had the mattress first and the side rails have to custom cut to fit your bed.

Adrian - Yes it is a king size bed. The plan come from Wood magazine Oct. 2004 issue. The plan can also be downloaded from there site www.woodmagazine.com (http://www.woodmagazine.com) The plans have measurements for a double, queen and the king.

Scott - It is QS white oak. I am fortunate the guy I buy all my wood from lets me know when he gets another lift of QS white oak in. Everything goes on the back burner so I can have first dibs on the best of the best. For some reason but the fleck does'nt show up well in the pics on the headboard and blanket chest. (someday I will learn to take pictures).
My other downfall is he carries LN tools and he calls me every time he gets new stuff in from them.......
The project (head and footboard) took around 135 board feet and up here in Canada we pay around 9-10 bucks a board foot

This was the largest project I have done and upside is my 6" X5 jointer wasn't up to working with the lumber that was 6.5"-7" wide so I upgraded to a 8" General Canada jointer. Man do I love that machine.

Charles Jackson III
05-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Nice work!