PDA

View Full Version : Miter Saw Recomendation

Marc Prudhomme
04-26-2007, 7:30 PM
Hi all,
I am in the market for a compound miter saw I am looking at the rigid 10" with exactaline for 189.99 at HD.Building a deck next week and need to cut 2x6 and 4x4.I dont really want to get the 12" which is 269.00 ,but maybe I should.What are your thoughts?
Any other brands that I should consider that are reasonably priced with good quality like the rigid.How is Lowes Task force brand?They have a new task force 10" with laser for 99.00.Not familiar with task force so I am a little weary.I would rather spend the extra for the rigid than take a chance...
Marc

Anthony Smaldone
04-26-2007, 7:58 PM
Hi Mark,
I guess the main question is, will you be using the saw much after the deck is completed? If so and will be doing precise cuts on fine woodwork, then I suggest the best saw you can afford. I own the Hitachi 10", and the Makita ls 1011 also 10". The Hitachi is the better of the two ( probably the best available). On the other hand, If the saw will not get much use after the dack is done, then get something cheap. I have built over 500 decks and no matter how precise a cut I make, in 6 months the joints are open on the rails. This can't be avoided so take that into consideration. Oh by the way....I never take a miter saw on a deck job. They take too much time to travel back and forth with the cuts. Everything is cut with left handed circular saw's. We can carry them around with us and cut on the spot. If you are good with a saw and have a true square your in business:)

Dont know if this helps

Anthony

glenn bradley
04-26-2007, 8:23 PM
I have the little 10" DW703 and it has been very good to me. I think I paid $150 on sale.

Don Bullock
04-26-2007, 9:12 PM
Hi Mark,
... I own the Hitachi 10", and the Makita ls 1011 also 10". The Hitachi is the better of the two ( probably the best available). ...:)
Anthony

Anthony, that's interesting. I have the Hatachi as well and I really like it. It cut great, accurate miters right out of the box. Reading a post from someone with your experience say that it's "probably the best available" makes me feel a lot better about my choice. Thanks.

Chris Brault
04-27-2007, 8:33 PM
I purchased a dewalt 713 and absolutely love it. The guy at home depot told me the ridgid 12" was a better saw than the dewalt. I smoked the motor on the ridgid just under a month. Might have been some wierd defect?????? Brought it back, spent another 90$, Bought the dewalt and have had it a couple of years now.

I agree with that other guy about how long and how much you plan on using it? Hitachi makes some really nice compound saws also. If I have to get another one someday it'll be a real tossup between dewalt and hitachi!!!!!!!!!! The ridgid one might be a dandy also.