PDA

View Full Version : Got some new tools and a question.

John Padgett
04-26-2007, 6:05 PM
Hey everyone. Just wanted to brag on my new tools. A LN medium shoulder plane and a LN low angle smoothing plane. I have the large shoulder plane also, but found this smaller one to work better on frame-and-panel construction.

My question is, I have been thinking about one of Toshio Odate's crowning plates, the 1200 grit, to put the camber in my plane blades. Anyone have one or used one? Thanks. John.

Don Bullock
04-26-2007, 7:58 PM
John, congratulations on the new LN tools, but remember, without pictures it didn't happen.;)

As for your question, I'm afraid I can't help you there. I have no idea what you are talking about. It's like a different language to me.:D

Mike K Wenzloff
04-26-2007, 8:27 PM
Hi John,

First--congrats on the LN stuff.

As for the crowning plate--I personally would have no use for it. It is only "useful" for a light crown on a smoother. Any other crowns such as what I use on the larger planes--progressively more except one of my jacks which I also use as a smoother. The desired radii are not difficult to achieve by mearly alternating finger pressure on the blade [to the outside corners, then in-board a little, alternating sides] if using a honing guide.

If not using a guide, the issue is the same but done a tad differently. I use a side honing technique and for me pressure is thrown off-center on the alternating forward and back motions. That is, more pressure is applied on the far corner when moving the iron back towards me and vice versa.

The plate is ideal for use with a guide. There are two guides currently which facilitate crowning, or putting camber on a blade. One is the inexpensive Eclipse clone sold by LV, LN, Rockler et al. The other is the LV MK.II honing guide with the camber lower roller. The LV is more stable and will allow one to place as much camber is desired.

Take care, Mike

Eddie Darby
04-27-2007, 5:43 PM
Congrats on the nice new score!!!:)

Lee Valley offer a cambered brass replacement wheel that goes with there system of honing guides, that will allow you to easily put a camber on any blade you want. This is the route that I would go, since it is fairly inexpensive, and far more versatile.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=54181&cat=1,43072,43078&ap=1

This is the system it goes with:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=51868&cat=1,43072,43078&ap=1