PDA

View Full Version : Here's one segment with 60 pieces

Bill Wyko
04-26-2007, 4:47 PM
This is one of 9 segments that will be the beauty ring of the vessel I've been working on since march 15th. The completed vessel will be around 21 inches tall and 13 inches in diameter and be in excess of 2000 pieces. The woods used are Monterillo (smells like schmead) Curly Maple, Walnut, wenge and Black Limba plus a little Turquoise.

Paul Engle
04-26-2007, 5:07 PM
Bill, Bill, Bill, got carried away huh? Neat design can't wait to see the finished product. I think you got something there man!!!:D

Mark Pruitt
04-26-2007, 5:10 PM
I wish I had your patience.
That should be one fine, fine vessel.

Bill Wyko
04-26-2007, 5:12 PM
I sure hope so. If I screw this one up I'm gonna cry:( Right now it's up to about 1200 pieces and I still have plenty to go.

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-26-2007, 6:16 PM
Bill, you're having far too much fun. Good luck as you complete your masterpiece.

Bill Wyko
04-26-2007, 7:20 PM
Thanks Malcolm. One of your pieces, Hearts of light, is an inspiration for this one. That indian blanket above will be in diamond shaped windows for the beauty ring. I have to give you props. All the little steps to get the best results are very time consuming. I know some people think that round rings aren't that important but wait till they go this big or bigger. True round and centering is critical to good results at this size as you already know.:) once I get past this beauty ring I've got other rings ready and waiting. I hope my clark hollowing rig and my steady rest get here soon.:D In building this one I wanted to challenge myself with numerous techniques. I have some compound miter rings and some with the through cut shapes that I did on the one that was part solid and part segmented. I think the real challenge now is going to be hollowing the inside. I'll post pix as soon as possible.

Steve Schlumpf
04-26-2007, 9:14 PM
Bill, beautiful design - can't wait to see the finished product!

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Wow Bill. You got more patiences than I have. Can't wait to see the vessel when completed.

Bill Wyko
04-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Me too:D This one has been quite a challenge.:confused: