PDA

View Full Version : convert Illustrator CS2 EPS to CorelDraw 11?

Richard Rumancik
04-26-2007, 1:01 PM
Am marking some knives - at long last I received an eps file from the customer's art bureau - but I can't read it. I hesitate to hassle them any more, as this was hard to get.

If I try to import into CorelDraw 11 using the .eps filter, I get the grey box. If I try to import using the .ps filter I get an invalid file format message.

The file is 2.5MB in size. I think it is a color graphic with other stuff in the image. I will just extract what I need once I can open it.

Any further suggestions as to what I can try? Or anyone care to volunteer to convert to something CorelDraw 11 can import for me?

Is my problem caused because the .eps file created is a "later version" than what CorelDraw 11 can read?

Mike Mackenzie
04-26-2007, 1:12 PM
Richard,

If you would like to e-mail it to me I will see if I can open it in my Illustrator and save it down for you.

My guess is that it was saved in a later version of Illustrator.

You can send it to

Frank Corker
04-26-2007, 1:48 PM
Richard you can send it to me - I'll private message you my email address

Mike Mackenzie
04-26-2007, 1:53 PM
Richard,

I sent it back to you, Let me know if you got it.

Jeff Lehman
04-26-2007, 2:35 PM
For future reference....specify to them that the EPS should be saved as Illustrator Version 8.0 EPS and you shouldn't have any issues bringing it in. Its as easy for them as saving it normally.

I understand your frustration though. Based on my experiences the same issues exist trying to bring an EPS file into Corel Draw X3. Using version 8.0 EPS seems to be the point at which Corel stopped updating their import filters for EPS files. imho... :D

Richard Rumancik
04-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Mike M. came through for me - his file opened fine. Thanks Mike! Thanks as well to Frank and Ed M. who also offered to help.

I tried to specify clearly to the customer what I needed but it didn't help. The service bureau sends whatever they have, or can generate quickly. That leaves it up to us laser guys and gals to struggle with whatever we get (or risk annoying the customer.)

Nice that others here are willing to help. (Guess I'll have to buy a laser from Mike though . . .)

Matt Wheeler
02-08-2008, 8:40 AM
Most problems I have found with .eps files is not with Corel, but with Adobe. Adobe has added data after the trailer portion of the file (version 8 I believe is the last one that doesn't), so any other software that reads .eps files will spit out the invalid format or corrupt file error.

James Stokes
02-08-2008, 9:30 AM
It seems all most impossible to get the right file from customers. I have Illustrator CS, autocad 2007, photoshop, Photoimpact, Corelx4, Quark, Flexi, Casmate and several others that I do not remember at the moment. I still get files I can not open.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
02-08-2008, 9:40 AM
FYI...CorelDRAW imports version 1 Postscript much better then Postscript 2 or Postscript3...if you run into this issue ask the customer to save it in PS level 1 format and chances are it will import much better

Chad Voller
02-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Another format to try, if it is supported by Corel, is SVG (scalable vector graphics). Many of the logos I get from Wikipedia are in this format. It is designed for web use, but have found it more reliable than EPS so far, and of course saves to a smaller size. I haven't played with all of the settings for saving out in this format, but keeping everything at the factory defaults seems to work fine for me.

I myself have had problems exporting EPS from Illustrator on complex pieces. Some straight lines would go into wiggly lines, and some corners go bonkers, some just disappear.....