PDA

View Full Version : Holly Useful?

Robert Rozaieski
04-26-2007, 10:29 AM
We have a small holly shrub in our backyard that SWMBO would like me to remove. While it is small, I may be able to salvage a few small pieces of timber from the base. I hate to just put it out on the curb.

Does anyone have any experience with holly? It this wood useful? How user friendly is it? I don't own any machines so it would need to be hand tool friendly for me to get any use from it. What about burning the unusable branches in the fireplace. Can this wood be burned or would it not be a good idea?

Thanks!
Bob

Michael Hammers
04-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Finding holly in pieces large enough to work with is usually the tough problem. It tends to twist alot. I used some really nice pieces juxtaposed with bloodwood and ebony for a chess board. If you find choice pieces they can be a beautiful white color initially. It machines and hand tools well.

Nancy Laird
04-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Robert, you'll find some turners on this forum who would probably deal for the holly - it's great for pens and the pieces that you have would probably be just the right size - they need to be 3/4 x 3/4 x 5 for usable pen blanks, so if you get some pieces about that size, you'll probably have a path beaten to your door.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Hey Robert. I don't want you to have to do all that work.:o When you take it out, put the biggest pieces in a box and mail it to me. I'll keep hidden for the necessary time, then, only if I don't have ANYTHING else to do, I'll end up with something that you can drool over.:D :D :D :D

Bruce;)

Prashun Patel
04-26-2007, 11:38 AM
make wreaths ;)

Ted Calver
04-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Robert,
I have sawn small (6" caliper) Holly into short boards on my bandsaw, stickered them at the ends and then wrapped the bundle (just where the stickers are) with that 2" wide saran wrap plastic stuff that movers use. It keeps the bundle in tension against the stickers. Then I put the bundles in our walk in attic (very hot) with a small fan circulating air thru the stack. The fan also helps reduce the blue stain fungus that usually attacks the sugars in the holly during the warmer months. I'v had good luck with this method--so far.

Pam Niedermayer
04-26-2007, 6:05 PM
Great stuff for inlays.

Pam