PDA

View Full Version : First Posted Pictures

steven carter
04-26-2007, 8:42 AM
I did my first lathe work in high school in 1969. Glued some dry walnut and oak together and scraped away for a couple of weeks until I ended up with a bowl. I did that a couple more times and my mom says she still has those bowls somewhere. Didn't turn anything until about 1986 when a friend of mine bought a shop smith and I made LOML a walnut candle stick that was 6" in diameter and about 3 feet tall. Friend moved away before I could make the other 2 candle sticks SWMBO wanted (one about 30" and another 24"). I've been wanting to get back into turning for years, and finally in January got my Jet 1236.

I've been lurking on this site while getting back into the swing of things,(pun intended) and have found you all to be a great help. I have been harvesting wood like crazy (thanks to Bill Gumbine and Darrell Feltmate for their websites on how to process logs). Started out with air drying after roughing, but switched to DNA method.

Here is a picture of my first turning. It is a spalted Norway Maple vase make from my neighbors firewood pile. About 3" x 6", finished with Myland's Friction Polish. Assuming this posts with the picture, I will post other turnings.
Thanks to all who provide such valuable information to new turners. I bought a Raffan book which helped be get started, and I learn something almost every day from this forum.

Mark Cothren
04-26-2007, 8:44 AM
Very nice work, Steven! Lookin' forward to seeing more!

Christopher K. Hartley
04-26-2007, 8:50 AM
Nice work Stephen! I wish to say Yah!! for High School Shop Classes. I only wish some of those shop teachers could see the lasting impact they made on some, then, young kids!!:) WELCOME to the CREEK!!

Keith Burns
04-26-2007, 8:55 AM
Nice vase Stephen !!! You are right, this is a great place to Learn and Turn !!

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2007, 9:06 AM
Nice vase Stephen. You are right. This is a good learning forum. Keep'em coming.

Glenn Hodges
04-26-2007, 1:25 PM
Welcome Steven it looks as if you are off to a great start. I will be looking forward to more pictures.