PDA

View Full Version : Delta/Powermatic planer question

Paul Greathouse
04-26-2007, 7:40 AM
I need some help with a decision I have been mulling over for a while now. I have had a 12" Delta 22-540 lunchbox planer for several years now and it has served me very well but it is, what it is, just a lunchbox planer.
How much of a step up is the Delta 22-780 15" in speed and cutting depth per pass.

The reason why I ask is, I have had an old Powermatic 18" planer of unknown condition sitting in a corner of my shop for almost a year now that my dad had picked up at an auction. I never have run it because I need to buy a rotary phase converter for it. It appears to be in good conditon but it was owned by a lumberyard so no telling how many Bdft went through it. From what I have seen elsewhere I think its an early 80's model. The rotary phase converter would cost almost a much as the 22-780. I know there are cheaper phase converters out there but if I am going to buy one I am going to buy one of the best (American Rotary or Phase O Matic)

So, my question is would I be so impressed with the 22-780 after using the 22-540 that I don't even need to consider taking a chance on the powermatic or is the powermatic, if in good shape, that much better than the 22-780 that I really need to get a rotary phase converter for it.

If any of you remember the wood gloat I posted a few months back you know how much wood I have to plane. Roughly 3000bdft. Its been air drying for a year now and is about ready to be used.

Rob Will
04-26-2007, 7:59 AM
I need some help with a decision I have been mulling over for a while now. I have had a 12" Delta 22-540 lunchbox planer for several years now and it has served me very well but it is, what it is, just a lunchbox planer.
How much of a step up is the Delta 22-780 15" in speed and cutting depth per pass.

The reason why I ask is, I have had an old Powermatic 18" planer of unknown condition sitting in a corner of my shop for almost a year now that my dad had picked up at an auction. I never have run it because I need to buy a rotary phase converter for it. It appears to be in good conditon but it was owned by a lumberyard so no telling how many Bdft went through it. From what I have seen elsewhere I think its an early 80's model. The rotary phase converter would cost almost a much as the 22-780. I know there are cheaper phase converters out there but if I am going to buy one I am going to buy one of the best (American Rotary or Phase O Matic)

So, my question is would I be so impressed with the 22-780 after using the 22-540 that I don't even need to consider taking a chance on the powermatic or is the powermatic, if in good shape, that much better than the 22-780 that I really need to get a rotary phase converter for it.

If any of you remember the wood gloat I posted a few months back you know how much wood I have to plane. Roughly 3000bdft. Its been air drying for a year now and is about ready to be used.

Paul, The first two digits of the serial number are the year of manufacture for your Powermatic. Everything should be available for that planer from Powermatic. I would strongly consider the 18" planer if everything is there. You might also consider an insert head for the old PM. VERY QUIET. Why not buy a used phase converter just to see how things work out?

Good luck with your decision,
Rob

Dennis Peacock
04-26-2007, 8:23 AM
IMHO, the old Powermatic would be a much better option than buy a new 15" planer. Not just because of the width difference, but because "they were made better then" kinda thing and it will last you and your next generation.

Going from a lunchbox planer to a standard planer is like somebody turning the lights on after you've been in the dark for weeks. Eat off 3/16" at a time if you want. Put in a LONG board and just stand there watching and you walk around to the other side and catch the board. I've been through 2 lunchbox planers and they are loud and won't hold up to use like what I call a "real planer" (no offense intended). I have a 15" planer with a spiral head and this thing just loves wood. :D

BTW, is the a way to change the motor out on that planer to a 1 phase motor? Could be cheaper than a phase converter ya know. ;)

Paul Dwight
04-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Paul, Years ago I moved from the Delta 12.5" lunchbox planer to the Delta 13" two-speed lunchbox planer. To answer your specific question, the 13" two-speed planer won't take off significantly more per pass than the 12.5". For dressing down 3000BF of rough lumber, one will be no faster than the other. The slower speed setting on the 13" will leave a better surface, but that's probably the only advantage it has over the 12.5".

If you're going to try this with a lunchbox planer, I suggest you think about using your existing 12.5" Delta. After 3000BF of rough lumber, it will probably be at the end of its useful life and you could replace it. In other words, burn up the old planer, not the new one.

If you want to dress the rough lumber only as you need it for a project -- maybe 100 or 200 board feet at a time -- then a lunchbox planer is more practical. If you're going to plane all 3000BF at the same time, the big Powermatic would be a better bet. I would at least investigate what it would take to put the Powermatic into usable condition. (Since the Powermatic came out of a lumbermill, I wouldn't assume that a phase converter is all it needs.)

Good luck! -- Paul

Joe Jensen
04-27-2007, 1:05 AM

In my not so humble opinion, the PM is WAY superior to a new Delta. I would think you could buy a new motor for nearly what a rotary phase converter costs. Also, Terminus makes a quick change knife system that is a clone of the widely respected Tersa. They have an overstock of the heads for the 18" Powermatic at deep discount, $595. http://www.terminus-stl.com/indexMain.html

Richard Butler
04-27-2007, 8:41 AM
I would have sold the lunchbox and put the PM planer into service long ago.

A big rotary phase converter only makes sense if you have multiple 3 phase machines. If it were me, I would get a single phase motor for the Powermatic even if it meant going to a lesser motor. All it would do is increase the resale value of the Planer as the potential new owner has the option of single or three phase.

Before you do anything, tear into the planer. See what it needs, if anything. It might need bearings, outfeed roller, etc. If it does not have a mobile stand you might need one. See if you can find a free single phase motor that will fit even if it is hopelessly underpowered. You should be able to spin it up and see how it runs. A 1hp motor should spin it up and provide enough power to lightly plane a 1" wide piece of wood.

How I do things may not be the best for you so take what I say with a large grain of salt. Personally I really like fixing/rebuilding quality machinery. There is something very gratifying about it.