PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0593 8" Jointer w/spiral cutting head

Lou Ferrarini
04-26-2007, 7:03 AM
I am getting ready to order this jointer and have a question for any of you who have it.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0593

Can you tell me if this jointer comes with the BYRD head or the Grizzly spiral head?

Linky for heads:

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2007/Main/39

Thanks.

Clay Crocker
04-26-2007, 8:07 AM
Lou,

I don't own one, but looking at the Grizzly online catalog, the picture they show of the G0593 spiral cutter head on page 38 looks just like the Byrd head picture they show on page 39. If I were you, I would call Grizzly and ask.

Clay

Montgomery Scott
04-26-2007, 12:37 PM
They come with the imported head.

Cary Swoveland
04-26-2007, 1:02 PM
It is not the Byrd head, but it is machined beautifully, and while the head itself is from China, the carbide cutters are from Germany.

I looked into this recently, to try to determine which cutterhead is superior. I did not get a satisfactory answer, but could not find an uphappy owner of either.

The cutters in the Grizzly cutterhead are square to the cutterhead, whereas those of the Byrd are set at a slight angle. This is supposed to result in more of a shearing action with the Byrd, but I was unable to determine if that translates into a smoother cut, less tearout or quieter operation.

Cary

Al Killian
04-26-2007, 1:11 PM
I know a fellow ww who has the grizzly 10" jointer with the grizzly spiral head and it cuts very smooth thru harwoods. I have seen it used with curly maple, cherry and qswo. They all came out nice and smooth.

Shiraz Balolia
04-26-2007, 1:55 PM
It is not the Byrd head, but it is machined beautifully, and while the head itself is from China, the carbide cutters are from Germany.

I looked into this recently, to try to determine which cutterhead is superior. I did not get a satisfactory answer, but could not find an uphappy owner of either.

Cary

Just to clarify, our Grizzly heads are made in Taiwan and are machined on German made CNC machines. As you correctly pointed out, the inserts are imported from Germany. Further, there is a full time person at the factory that does nothing but check every insert measurement on every head (a very tedious job). Then the heads are again checked by our own inspectors after installation with a cut and we have a quality assurance program in place that rejects heads/machines that have excessive scalloping as evidenced on some of the other heads (different recent thread) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56531.

Bill White
04-26-2007, 2:30 PM
the top man to send a reply? Try to get Mr. Black & Decker to answer a post. That is confidence-inspiring in itself. Mr. Shiraz B. heads a fine company with good support for us who buy his products.
Not connected in any way other than being a pleased customer.
Bill

glenn bradley
04-26-2007, 4:25 PM
Shiraz comes through again. A recent jointer bake-off had the Grizzly as the only jointer that required no table adjustment before the test could begin. They were also tied with one other as far as being flat across the surface.

P.s. I don't own one or work for them.

Lou Ferrarini
04-27-2007, 4:53 PM
Thanks for all the info, but now I am really confused.

The Jointer with the standard spiral head is $925:

The jointer with the regular knives is $595:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0586

And I can get the Byrd head for $350:

http://www.holbren.com/home.php?cat=487

Bringing the total to $945, a difference of $20

Which way would you guys go?

Thanks again.

Joe Chritz
04-27-2007, 5:00 PM
Currently the Byrd head is backordered, or at least mine is.

I went the route you posted and ordered the straight knife machine with a Byrd head.

I am considering canceling the Byrd head and picking up the Grizzly version as I have a decent size project I am starting I could use the head for.

I have heard good things about both.

Joe

Greg Cole
04-27-2007, 5:15 PM
Happy owner of the G0856, 8" jointer. I did nothing to mine other than assemble it, no adjustments to the tables or knives etc.
The BYRD head is on the list to buy and I wish I would have just ordered it that way. I have an extra set of the HSS steel knives I bought with the jointer 2 years ago & I keep telling myself I need to use them before buying the Shelix for it.... but 2 years of much use an I haven't changed the blades yet, only had to hone them twice.
The reports of back orders on the Shelix heads are another reason I am dragging my feet & wanting to use the spare knives up.
if you think you want one with the sprial cutterhead, just do it. You won't regret it, especially if you work with any figured woods. I've had some temper tantrums from running curly maple & curly birch on mine... but those led me to buying to LN & LV hand planes. :D

Eddie Darby
04-27-2007, 6:14 PM
"I've had some temper tantrums from running curly maple & curly birch on mine... but those led me to buying to LN & LV hand planes."

Greg - Have you tried dampening the surfaces a little before running them through? Sometimes this helps.

One advantage for the people that have heads that run straight blades, is that they can apply a very small micro back bevel of say 5 degrees or so, that will help attack wild grain situations. The back bevel only has to be larger than the thickness of the chip that you are taking, and the chip should be very thin to help reduce the tear-out. So if you are taking a 1/64" chip, then a 5 degree 1/32" wide back bevel is where I would start.

I would get a Grizzly ( if I could....not sold in Canada....pity!!!! :(:(:( ) with a regular head for the above reason, and then buy a a separate indexed cutter-head, for everyday normal tame grain wood cases. The question remains though of which indexed cutter-head should one buy?

Shiraz Balolia
04-27-2007, 6:26 PM
Thanks for all the info, but now I am really confused.

The Jointer with the standard spiral head is $925:

The jointer with the regular knives is $595:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0586

And I can get the Byrd head for $350:
Bringing the total to $945, a difference of $20

Which way would you guys go?

Thanks again.

Even though we sell Byrd heads and would make money either way, take my advice - get the G0593. It has a head that is proven, does a great job, I own one in my 12" jointer and 20" planer, and it is prefitted at the factory and you don't have the hassles of trying to install it.

glenn bradley
04-27-2007, 7:40 PM
I believe Shiraz speaks true. Many people have been startled to find that they can simply assemble the jointer and go to work. No hassles.

Others who have experience may have better comments about the differences between shelix heads v.s. spirals.

Rick Moyer
04-28-2007, 8:45 AM
Even though we sell Byrd heads and would make money either way, take my advice - get the G0593. It has a head that is proven, does a great job, I own one in my 12" jointer and 20" planer, and it is prefitted at the factory and you don't have the hassles of trying to install it.

This is a "no-brainer" to me. I bought the 0586 for the great price and didn't feel the need for the spiral knives right now, but if money isn't the issue and you definitely want the spiral set-up, I would go with the 0593 as to not have to mess with installing the knives. Shiraz does not ever "blow his own horn" regarding Grizzly products and his post above, I would say, is trying to give you some good advice.

Of course, you could get the 0586 and the Byrd heads and have TWO sets of knives, one regular and one helix. Confused even more now?

Greg Cole
04-28-2007, 8:54 AM
Geeze.. hearing your guys all chime in about not having to adjust your Grizz machines burst my bubble! I thought I had some good luck there, but I guess I just bought a quality machine.:D FWIW I wouldn't hesitate to seriously look at Grizz for other tools too (have a G0513X in da shop or apartment as LOML calls it). Having the big dog (Shiraz) offer up info & answer questions on this forum is a small thing, but means alot to many of us.

Eddie... I have tried dampening the material slightly & it helps some but still leaves me wanting a little better result, especially for what I have to pay for the figured maple our here in the middle of the mid-west (double digits a board foot). But I have hand tools & skills with them now.

Now back to the post at hand... GO BUY IT! LOL

Greg