PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a good floor sander

John Kendall
04-26-2007, 12:37 AM
I will be installing hickory tongue & groove flooring before too long and I think I will be in need of a floor sander for getting it ready for finish.

The decorator half of this project said she saw some type of dust collector on a floor sander that had what looked like a minature cyclone type of dust collection unit attached on top of it. At least that's how I interpreted it from her.

I've been searching most everywhere online without any luck so far. Does anyone know what brand or type of sander with the dust collector on it is?

My preference is an orbital floor sander. Drum sanders tend to scare me, after seeing what they are capable of doing, when you don't want them to.

The only thing I've been able to find so far is the Clarke OBS-18DC. Is this a good one?

Thanks for your help!:D

Tyler Howell
04-26-2007, 8:06 AM
I think there is a model out called Four Cherrys that has 4 ROS pads on the bottom. It's very forgiving but slow. It doesn't level very well but a great job of smoothing and finish prep.
I have seen a cyclone on a floor sander but I can't remember where:confused:

Greg Ladd
04-26-2007, 8:28 AM
I thought I had read somewhere that Oneida (one of the major woodworking cyclone manufacturers) had a set up for sanding floors.

I hope this helps. I must confess, I didn't read this at all. I simply pasted the link.

I Googled "Onieda floor sander".

http://www.onlinefloorstore.com/store/mfgline/?id=10000206

Greg

John Kendall
04-26-2007, 9:46 AM
Thanks for the link and info. I didn't realize how hard it would be to find the sander with the cyclone. I wish I knew what show she had seen it on.

Jamie Buxton
04-26-2007, 10:17 AM
You don't buy a floor sander. You rent them. The things cost thousands of dollars, and you'll use it very rarely, so renting makes lots of sense. That is, you get the sanders that your local equipment-rental outfit is renting, whatever it is.

Dale Warder
04-26-2007, 10:32 AM
I Seem To Remember Seeing A Floor Sander With A Cyclone On Either This Old House Or Ask This Old House. You Mignt Ask The Question On Their Web Site.

Dan Clark
04-26-2007, 10:36 AM
John,

Out of curiosity, I looked up the OBS-18DC. It weighs 125 lbs and costs $2,154. If you are a flooring pro or it's a VERY large room, then that may be a very reasonable approach. OTOH, you may want to consider renting a floor sander or buying a good general purpose sander plus portable DC.

I have a Festool Rotex RO150 FEQ 6" orbital sander and CT22 portable dust collector. It's a great sander and the dust control is excellent. (Festools are known for their dust control.) It will take you longer to sand a floor, but at $822 for the sander plus DC, it's less than 40% of the cost of a dedicated floor sander. And, you'll have tools that you can use on other projects too.

I used my RO150 to sand my master bathroom subfloor (10 X 13). I used a heavier sandpaper (50 grit I think) and put it in Rotex mode for the first pass. When that was done, I used finer grit (either 80 or 100, I can't remember which) and switched to Orbital mode for the final pass.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,

Dan.

John Kendall
04-26-2007, 11:20 AM
I appreciate your information Dan.

Here's my dilemma. I've got 1200sq. ft. of flooring to sand.:eek: I considered renting a sander, but it's on a time schedule that really puts on the pressure of me getting it done faster than what I might be capable of. Considering I've not used one enough to be ultra efficient and fast at it, I'm sure it will take me a few days (major guestimate at this point).

That leaves me with the better half (boss lady) telling me to buy one and not have the pressure of time restraints and then selling it at a discounted price for having used it and not being under the pressure of the rental company. She figures even if I would sell it for a few $100 less, I would still be ahead of renting a used one, that sometimes aren't in the best of shape.

I will check out the Festool Rotex sanders. I'm also going to ask "This Old House" about that dust collection system too!

The Boss has 2 requirements.

1. Little or no dust
2. No gouges

I hope I survive!:eek::)

Jerry Clark
04-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Check with your Home Depot store-- they have one that takes a large sheet of paper and works well for floors-- figure two days and still much cheaper than buying one.:cool:

Brian Boru
04-26-2007, 12:28 PM
John
;) Hire a Pro. :D
Most quality floor equipment is sold only to floor pro's.
Sander and Edgers (spinners) : Bona, Clarke American , Hummel and Lägler, Kunzle & Tasin . Spinners start at about $1500.00 and up and $10,000.00 and more for sanders.
Oh BTW you will need a razor sharp beveled ended hook scraper about $10 bucks and of course kneepads.;)

Sam Shank
04-26-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm with Brian.

For the cost of buying one, and then selling it (at loss), you could have a pro do it for you - and do a better job. Call around - and even better, ask around. Who did your neighbor's floor? Etc.

The only way to hire me is to know me or someone who I have sanded in the past. (Only do it part time.) I'm sure you can find someone out there willing to work with you.

Grant Lasson
04-26-2007, 2:59 PM
I tried to locate a Cherry Hill sander when I did my floors last year. No luck. I ended up using the eZV sander (3 6" discs that orbit in two ways). It worked fine but was noisy and a little slow. Still, no nicks or gouges and the floor is much flatter than it was previously.

I notice there is a U-Sand Cherry Hill floor sander on eBay right now. Auction is scheduled to end on May 4th. That seems like a promising path.

Dan Clark
04-26-2007, 3:12 PM
I appreciate your information Dan.

Here's my dilemma. I've got 1200sq. ft. of flooring to sand.:eek: I considered renting a sander, but it's on a time schedule that really puts on the pressure of me getting it done faster than what I might be capable of. Considering I've not used one enough to be ultra efficient and fast at it, I'm sure it will take me a few days (major guestimate at this point).

That leaves me with the better half (boss lady) telling me to buy one and not have the pressure of time restraints and then selling it at a discounted price for having used it and not being under the pressure of the rental company. She figures even if I would sell it for a few $100 less, I would still be ahead of renting a used one, that sometimes aren't in the best of shape.

I will check out the Festool Rotex sanders. I'm also going to ask "This Old House" about that dust collection system too!

The Boss has 2 requirements.

1. Little or no dust
2. No gouges

I hope I survive!:eek::)

John,

1200 square feet is a pretty good sized area. Good luck on the survival thing.

Regarding the knee pads, you may want to invest in ProKnees. (Google for "proknee".) A lot of professional flooring guys and tile setters use them. They transfer the pressure to your entire shinbone with virtually no pressure on your knees. They are a knee and back saver.

I have the older style (still sold). They are far better than all of the other five kneepads I've owned, including two different gel pads. They're pricey, but a lifesaver.

Regarding the big sanders... One thing to consider is whether the big pad sanders (rent or buy) will get into any tight spaces that you have. You may have to buy or rent a smaller sander anyway. You might want to ask some of the vendors how they deal with the smaller, tight spaces.

Regards,

Dan.

Brian Boru
04-26-2007, 4:02 PM
"how to deal with the smaller, tight spaces"

Floor guys use edgers/spinners for closets, random orbits and hook scrapers for stair threads & risers etc.

Second the ProKnees, good stuff.

John Kendall
04-26-2007, 9:44 PM
You know... I totally forgot about trying to find a professional to sand the floors. I've been doing everything myself for so long that I forgot. I'll have to ask around to see what it will cost to have this project done. This ought to be interesting. The last time (years ago) I remember shopping for someone to do work for me, which was quite expensive. Nevertheless, it's another avenue I can check out!

I am writing all of your suggestions down. I'm hoping that this won't be as bad as it's sounding. I do have a question though... What is the "Hook Scraper" used for? :confused:

Also... How much is the average cost of having a floor sanded and ready to put on the finish?

Greg Cuetara
04-26-2007, 10:37 PM
John.....words of wisdom of someone who was there last year...hire a pro. It's not worth the mess or the time. A pro can get in and out in a day with little to no dust. They had one on this old house last year and there was no dust at all.

I had about the same amount of floor space to do..mostly open space so it was fairly easy to do but dust went everywhere and the LOML was not happy at all. We put sheets up all over the house before I started sanding but dust still got everywhere. The other thing is that eventhough I was careful about sanding everything there were a few spaces around the edges which ended up rough and only showed up after I put the finish on.

If you do end up sanding yourself the middle is the easy part with whatever you decide to use. The edges will catch you up and that is really where you want to spend the money on a good sander.

Just MHO.
Good Luck

Tyler Howell
04-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Have to agree Hire a pro unless you've done it.
Guy that di my first house said 90% of work he does is cleaning up after DIYers

fRED mCnEILL
04-27-2007, 12:53 AM
I think the sander you are talking about is the EZv made by Varathane. Its is a r/o 3 headed sander and is USELESS for what you want. The problem is the sandpaper. Works fine for about 30 seconds and then does nothing. I suppose if you change paper ever minute or so it might work but the paper is EXPENSIVE.I rented one to do my daughters house(for refinishing) and wound up renting a drum sander.

I read on a pro finisher's website that if you want to save money get the pro to sand only and you do the finish. So I checked with the pro who originally did my house and the story was correct. In the end I would have been further ahead to get the pro to sand and for me to do the finishing. So, for the price of renting the R/O sander and buying the sandpaper, then renting the drum sander and paper for it. it would have been approx. the same price to get the pro to sand it. AND, I would have obtained a better job. AND, I would have had less work.

I'm usually all for doing it myself even if it costs the same but with a floor you really only get one shot at it if you screw it up. And its difficult to do right the first time.

Fred Mc.

Charles McKinley
04-27-2007, 9:40 PM
Hi John,

Been there and done that (3 times). The big single sheet sander is LESS than worthless! A drum sander is the only thing that will level things up in a reasonable amount of time. With that agerssiveness means that if you hesatate for even a fraction of a second you will leave a divot in the floor.

The U-sand works great for the finishing sanding, but is not agessive enough to remove old finish.

I would hire it out if it was me, or at least the sanding.

John Kendall
04-27-2007, 9:50 PM
I've told the boss (Marianne) what everyone has suggested, along with the options of buying and renting equipment for the job.

Marianne's going to do some calling around for a pro to come in and give an estimate on how much it will cost to do all the sanding. Leaving us the chore of putting on the finish.

Sounds like I might get a break if she's not scared off by the cost of a pro. Your comments and suggestions have helped considerably. Now to see what Marianne decides on...:eek:

The dust factor has super powers over her! I can't say that I blame her though...

If you know any pro floor finishers in the Troy-Dayton, OH area that are good, please let me know. I would be forever greatful to not sand the floors! ;):D

Greg Ladd
04-28-2007, 7:04 AM
I sent you an email.

Greg

glenn bradley
04-28-2007, 10:00 AM
A company I worked for 30-odd years ago rented something along this line

http://www.hardwood-floor-sanders.com/images/tbl_belt_sander.jpg (http://www.hardwood-floor-sanders.com/beltsanders.asp)
Folks seemed to love the results.

Dan Clark
04-28-2007, 10:54 AM
John,

I agree with the other folks here - hire a pro he/she's not too expensive. If you have a project with a lot of little, varied components (like my bathroom remodel), then I'd say do it yourself. On this project, you have one big task that requires some expensive equipment for the majority of sanding. I think a pro would be the best choice.

Another thought - split the work. I believe one other person mentioned this too...

Get a pro to do the big area and you do the detail work - edges, closets, tight areas, etc. They use big expensive tools to sand the open areas and "acreage". You come along with a small orbital sander (maybe 5-6") + DC and do the small stuff. That's where a small orbital sander + DC might work out. That might save you money, and then you have a sander and portable DC for other projects too.

It's tough to say what the right choice would be since only you know your exact situation. If you could post some pics of the areas that you want to sand, folks here could better understand what you're dealing with.

Regards,

Dan.

Chris Walls
04-28-2007, 11:50 PM
I have both refinished ,sanded and installed many hardwood floors . I can tell you truthfully it is not a job for the timid. The sanders are very easy to lose control of and any mistakes always show up the second you start to put the finish on it. More than likely in the most obvious spot of all.
My advice is to hire a pro and admire the results.

Chris