PDA

View Full Version : A $1.50 Disston 43 and $12 No. 12

Pat Zabrocki
04-25-2007, 11:49 PM
A couple months ago, I was in Appleton, WI at my customer and being a little bored, I visited this antique store near my hotel. I picked up this Disston 43 for the change in my pocket ($1.50 to be exact"). I went back last week and found a very nice No. 12 for $12. The 43 is going to need a lot of work. It is missing the brass plate that covers the level vials. I've checked with St. James Bay and they will be making some of these again in a month or so. I had to rob the vials from an old Disston level. That level should be a good donor piece of wood to repair the handle. Some advice from those more skilled than I would be great where the handle is concerned. I don't know quite where the optimum place is to glue the new piece of wood. I'd like to leave as much of the original handle as I can but it doesn't look like the skinny part of the curve will yield enough surface area to glue. Feel free to offer advice on the handle repair. I don't think the scribe in the top is original either and neither is one of the medalions. Its a warranted superior that I put there until I can find another one that is correct. I think I'll wait on any restoration attempts until I'm confident that I won't screw up a fairly rare item. The number 12 looks pretty good, just a dip in the electrolyte bath, some sharping and a little clean up on the handle. Not bad for $13.50 :)

My apologies for the photos. I'm still trying to get the hang of this camera.

I'd love to get some advice ont that handle repair so let me know what you think.
thanks
Pat

Louis Bois
04-26-2007, 10:34 AM
What's that sound I hear?!? Kinda like a foot pulling free from a muddy bog? Kinda like a *SUCKING* sound?!? I rest my case...