PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of completed Built-ins

Jon Farley
04-25-2007, 10:39 PM
A few weeks ago I finished this project. I did the fireplace/TV section last fall, then began again in March when the customer came up with the additional funds for the shelving/cabinet units. Everyone (including me) was pleased with how it turned out. The only hitch with this one was that the customer had a pile of 4/4 pine sitting in their garage that they really wanted me to use. It really wasn't much of a cost savings for them, but they got a sense of satisfaction with me using up those boards. But for me, using pine was just a pain. I think I cleaned my Forrest WWII more times on this project than I had in the previous year:eek: . Anyway, thanks for looking...Jon

frank shic
04-25-2007, 10:54 PM
jon, fabulous job! i'm glad that you added that bit about the customer as i now suspect that you are a professional and that i really shouldn't be feeling too badly about my quality of work compared to what you've recently created.

a few questions for you:
1. how did you attach the open shelving units to the countertop?
2. how did you fit the vertical stile into the arch?
3. don't you just HATE pine? apart from the nice smell and the price, it's a sure fire way to clog up router pits and sawblades with pitch!

Don Bullock
04-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Fantastic job Jon. That looks great!!

Eugene A. Manzo III
04-25-2007, 11:23 PM
I love the nice neat look of your job.. I'm sure they are happy

Pat Zabrocki
04-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Awesome, my basement has windows where the bookcases are but that fireplace/tv setup would be just the thing

Jeffrey Makiel
04-26-2007, 7:04 AM
Built-ins always make a home seem more unique and interesting. And, your effort looks great.

I agree with you about pine. Poplar would have been my first choice. Modern pine seems too unstable these days and seasonal shrinkage is always a problem.

Well done. Your clients should be very happy. They now have bragging rights.

-Jeff :)

Jon Farley
04-26-2007, 8:03 AM
a few questions for you:
1. how did you attach the open shelving units to the countertop?
2. how did you fit the vertical stile into the arch?
3. don't you just HATE pine? apart from the nice smell and the price, it's a sure fire way to clog up router pits and sawblades with pitch!

Frank, the shelving units were built off site, The middle shelves are fixed so that they provided additional point at which to anchor the bead board. I left a 7/16 gap between the wall and the top of the counter, I then let about 1/2" of bead board (3/8" thick) proud of the bottom of the shelving unit so that it slide right into that gap

The middle stile is just attached to the carcass via adhesive, (and though I don't like to admit it, a few finishing nails) There is no mechanical fastener between it and the arch, though for good measure I used a little West System epoxy.

Rich Torino
04-26-2007, 9:53 AM
Real nice Jon... wonderful work

glenn bradley
04-26-2007, 10:11 AM
That is a beautiful, clean look. I really like it.

Paul Johnstone
04-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Wow.. that's really nice.

Really funny how the customer "made" you use their pine.. Glad you got it to work, I can imagine what a pain that was.

I would've probably taken a little of their pine and then just not used it, because that's the kind of person I am :)

Charles Jackson III
04-26-2007, 7:32 PM
Nice work.

Carroll Courtney
04-26-2007, 8:31 PM
Jon,very nice job.Sure makes a room look bright and bigger.Jon,did you paint the cabinets in place,what was your sequence?I have some to build in my house and not sure how to go about painting them.Latex vs oil,airless or pressure pot?

Brad Tallis
04-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Jon-

What a beautiful job you did on the built-ins. I will be making some to put down in our finished basement soon.

I had a few questions for you, if you don't mind....

1. You mentioned having to use their pine... Is the whole unit made from pine, or did you use MDF, poplar, a mix of mediums, etc?

2. How did you treat the wood before painting it? Did you use sanding sealer, or primer, etc?

3. I'm assuming you sprayed it?

4. What kind of paint did you use?

Would have loved to see some construction pictures of this project. All I can say is you did a very nice job. I bet the customer is happy...

Brad

Eric Wong
04-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Very well done! Can you post more pics, maybe some closeups?

Jim Becker
04-28-2007, 2:09 PM
Beautiful job, Jon!