PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Weekend Doin's?

Bob Lasley
12-31-2003, 8:54 AM
Good Wednesday Morning All,

Since most of us will be starting a long holiday weekend sometime today, thought I would go ahead and post this. I am going to try to get a few drawers for my bench built and installed today. May try to tackle a few more small organizational projects on New Years Day and Friday morning. We have company coming in Friday evening for the rest of the weekend. Oh yeah, a smattering of football here and there, particularly Sunday night.

So, what are your plans for this looooong weekend? Any sawdust sprinkled amongst the confetti?

Be safe and have a very happy, prosperous and sawdust rich New Year!

Bob

Eddie Severt
12-31-2003, 9:26 AM
I started last evening putting up the crown molding in the living room with plans of making some more today. Our city water went off as we went to bed, a not unusual ocvcurance. When they turned it back on,there must have been a huge water hammer effect. I was awakened by the sound of running water. A valve had burst, flooding the basement. So far, I have filled a 16 gal. shopvac 5 times, now to get out everything wet and dry it or throw it away. What an unplanned, unpleasant job!!! On a better note, we sent a Jack Russell puppy to its new owners yesterday, the first we had shipped by air and the first to Canada. The new owners called and said they love him, he is chewing on everything in the house. Oh, well, maybe I can get back on track tomorrow.
Eddie

Ace Karner
12-31-2003, 9:52 AM
I'll be out the shop turning, and cleaning, then sat I'm driving up to your country to see Dad in Broken Arrow, back home Sunday and get ready to start a new year of work.

Glenn Clabo
12-31-2003, 9:57 AM
Sounds like it's going to be warm enough to take the labs to the beach. Otherwise I'll be putting together the new bandsaw and sizing about a 100bf of cherry to get the library started.

Bart Leetch
12-31-2003, 10:11 AM
Well my week end started on the 23rd & will finish on the start of the 5th so far I've spent 4 glorious days in the shop working on my base cabinet for my contractors saw & it looks like I'll spending a few more in the shop.

Jim Becker
12-31-2003, 10:14 AM
Aside from cooking a nice meal for LOML tomorrow (seared fillet roast wrapped in bacon with a mushroom sauce, asparagus, carrots and a pear/raspberry tart), I'll be spending a lot of time in the shop. I'll be milling a bunch of poplar for upcoming projects, working on a few things that need to get completed, probably some turning and some additional cleanup and reorganization. LOML and I also need to clean out the dining room that became a storage area and get our eating table back into the eating area off the kitchen...these things need done so we can start the search for a new house cleaning service given the kitchen renovation is long done. There is a bunch of stuff that needs to be organized for sale on EBay "real soon now"...

Noah Alkinburgh
12-31-2003, 10:54 AM
Aside from cooking a nice meal for LOML tomorrow (seared fillet roast wrapped in bacon with a mushroom sauce, asparagus, carrots and a pear/raspberry tart), .... I'll be milling a bunch of poplar for upcoming projects, ....

Willing to move large quantities of wood for this food :D wouldn't want you to hurt your wrist doing all that milling :D

I am hoping to spend some time doing some pens and maybe playing with my new bowl gouge if it arrives. Also need to go order my small DC unit or if I am lucky they will have one in stock.

Noah

Jim Becker
12-31-2003, 10:58 AM
Willing to move large quantities of wood for this food :D wouldn't want you to hurt your wrist doing all that milling

Had I known you were a starving boy, I would have bought more food...unfortuantly, I only planned for two this time around! (The birdies would be willing to share some millet, however...maybe...)

Tyler Howell
12-31-2003, 11:00 AM
Pulling wire for 110 & 220 outlets in the shop all in conduit. New 200 AMP service shared with the house, separate 100 amp for the shop. It's fun to bend pipe again. A different kind of dirty. ;)

New toys need to be fed and these are a hungry bunch. To accommodate the new Makita SCMS workstation and DW735 planer, I'm doing a minor shop make over. Threw out some old shelving, building new. Moving some stuff around. :D

Going to put a 220 30amp future drop in while I’m pulling wire. You Creekers have convinced me, I neeeeed a cabinet saw. Now to decide which one. (Did I mention my baby graduates from engineering school in the spring and I won’t be paying tuition anymore?? :D

Big music jam session to bring in the New Year. Going to introduce some new tunes I penned.
Second date with the new lady friend. This could be nice. :p

Happy New Year, Best wishes and flying sawdust to all of you in 2004

Tyler

Mark Valsi
12-31-2003, 11:08 AM
As usual, a bunch of us sports nuts get together at noon at a pub/rest near Colorado Blvd for some beers and food and year end festivities.

I will be raggin' on all the U of Mich fans who are in town for the Rose Bowl.

Even though they beat us this year, we are still national champs for a few more days, and WE WENT 14-0, Undisputed champs !!

So I may end up with a few bruises about my person !!

Noah Alkinburgh
12-31-2003, 11:25 AM
Had I known you were a starving boy, I would have bought more food...unfortuantly, I only planned for two this time around! (The birdies would be willing to share some millet, however...maybe...)

Starving....hardly (though some might think so to look at me). I think I shall pass on the millet, but that is quite generous of them :D

Noah

Ray Johnson
12-31-2003, 12:35 PM
I am only taking the 1st off. Thought about taking the 2nd so I could get a four day weekend, but decided not too. Will be working on some small projects tomorrow and the weekend. Supposed to snow so probably won't be going anywhere far.

Good and safe New Year to y'all.

Mike Evertsen
12-31-2003, 12:45 PM
no real plans for the long weekend,,,I have to pack up christmas,,and work in the shop that entertainment center is calling me to get it finished,,,

Dick Parr
12-31-2003, 3:04 PM
Not a thing. :p I have 2 bottles of Jack and a case of cold ones in the cooler. So I am going to stay away from the shop. :D

I did finally finish the cabinet that I started back in September. Brought it home a couple of hours ago. I took it over to friend’s house Monday where he had a spray booth already set up in his shop. Four coats of semi gloss polycrylic over a special walnut stain. The stain evened all the different woods out. I used birch ply with a cherry face frame. The crown molding is maple and the doors are a pair of oak doors I had left from a canceled order a couple of years ago. Since the wife wanted the cabinet to look like a country cupboard, I just built it to fit the doors. I hope this is the last big project for OUR house. We are just plan out of room.

Tyler Howell
12-31-2003, 3:26 PM
A real arteest!
You earned those bottles of Jack.... Enjoy.

TJH

Dennis Peacock
12-31-2003, 3:59 PM
Hey Bob.....Happy New Year to you and all the SMC bunch..!!!

I plan on working for "work" as little as possible as I am back oncall AGAIN and really dislike being oncall......but I do like having a job that at least helps some to fund the SHOP and TOOL budget. :)

I will be spending some "family" time as I can and trying to get #2 sons chest of drawers ready for finishing by the weekend. Once the weekend arrives, I will be working for "work" as computers start hollerin' for help as they need it and with over 200 servers I help support, that can make for a very busy weekend.!!!!

Best of holidays to you and all SMC.....enjoy and be SAFE.!!!!

Tom Sweeney
12-31-2003, 10:55 PM
Today was my last day at work - forever. I was laid off due to a "merger". I hope to actually be spending more time in the shop (wouldn't be too difficult) while I build up my side business of 9 years into a full time gig. Anybody need a website? :D

Over the next week I want to build a rolling sharpening station / turning tool storage center & do a complete makeover of my lathe. I've had a number of problems lately & I think the lathe is not spinning true - so I need to check it out & fix it. I also need to fix my poulan chainsaw - used it 3 times & it won't start :mad: - gets spark & seems to get fuel but won't even try to start -????? If I get that figured out I have a bunch of good sized logs I need to make into turning blanks. If I get that all done by early next week I'll try my hand at pen making.

Then it's off to build my business!

Everyone have a Great, Happy & Prosperous New Year!

Dean Baumgartner
01-01-2004, 12:14 AM
The big doings for the weekend are to get my shop in operation. All that's left is to finish the air piping then I can start making some sawdust. I guess it's about time to actually start making things other than the shop. LOML has been asking lately how much longer it will be until I start making things. First project will definatly be for her since she put up with me being out there an awful lot with nothing to show for it.

Dean

Tyler Howell
01-01-2004, 2:54 AM
Good luck on your new adventure Tom, There's an old song about "the only thing worse than getting up for work is being un employed". Sounds like you have a plan.

Tyler

Phil Phelps
01-01-2004, 8:55 AM
I gotta be in the other house by Feb 1. It's not workin'...too much to do....maybe I need the Jack Black and just forget it!

Todd Burch
01-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Last weekend I made 2 base cabinets to extend my miter saw's "bank" of cabinets another 4 feet. While I was at it, I re-leveld all the exsting cabinets, about 8 feet of them - this makes around 12'.

This weekend, along with some $$ paying work, I'll make 5 upper cabinets for the shop, each of them 2' wide and 42" tall to go over the miter station cabinets. The storage will be good and is muchly needed. Here's a Sketchup drawing, in transparency mode, showing the cabinet. If anyone wants plans with dimensions, let me know. They are MDF with a pine face frames. I'll concentrate on the boxes now, and make the doors later. (Single door each cabinet, 2 adjustable shelves each).

Todd.

Jim Becker
01-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Here's a Sketchup drawing, in transparency mode, showing the cabinet.

Geepers...the more examples I see you produce with this application, the more I want to buy it. That's an awesome illustration, Todd!

Scott Coffelt
01-01-2004, 1:48 PM
for the Fiesta Bowl. No WW on the agenda. Go Cats!!!!

Tom Sweeney
01-01-2004, 5:20 PM
I'm looking forward to the new chapter in my life. Things happen & you just need to move on.

Good luck on your new adventure Tom, There's an old song about "the only thing worse than getting up for work is being un employed". Sounds like you have a plan.

Tyler