PDA

View Full Version : Hand sticking a molding

Dave Anderson NH
04-25-2007, 5:35 PM
I am still chipping away at the unbeloved blanket chest Sue volunteered me to make for my SIL. Since it is going to have ogee bracket feet and I figured that I needed to have at least a little fun with the job, I decided to do the molding by hand. It's piece of 6/4 poplar about 49" long and 4" wide. The basic profile has been done with hollows and rounds and the bead on the bottom is with my LN #66 hand beader. This was a lot of fun to do.

Zahid Naqvi
04-25-2007, 7:10 PM
Nice, hand moulding is one of the things I want to learn next, just need to start collecting some planes.

Mark Stutz
04-25-2007, 8:43 PM
That looks very nice. Wish I had a set of H&R since I have some moulding to do for my current project.

Did you plow out most of it first, or use the H&R to do the whole thing? If you do any more, I'd love to see some in progress pictures.

Mark

Dick Latshaw
04-25-2007, 9:29 PM
A bench with METAL legs! You can't be serious. You need something like this.:):):):):):):):):):)

Howie French
04-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Dave, that looks really nice. I just picked up my first molding plane, a simple beading profile. I too would be interested in any progress pics if you do any more. Thanks for posting.

Howie

Dave Anderson NH
04-26-2007, 5:24 AM
Mark- I plowed the rabbet on the back side with my Record #044 and then cleaned it up with my LN #73. The roough stock removal of the wide shallow groove wasdone the same way. The convex top was done with a coarsely set Stanley #3. This approach saves time and also makes less wear on the #16 hollow and round I used.

Dick- That bench has served for 19 years and the legs have offended me for most of that time. A new bench has been on the list for about 2 years, but there is a paucity of roundtuits here in NH.

Howie and all-- I'll post more pix as thngs move along. The ogee bracket legs are done and need to be attached to the bottom of the chest and the next step is to stick a molding of some shape for the lower edge.