PDA

View Full Version : Where have the great Amazon Deals gone?

Rick Moyer
04-25-2007, 5:33 PM
I haven't heard of, or seen any super buys from Amazon lately. I really need to get a good dado blade set, so if anyone finds one at a great price, please post here or let me know. I don't want to spend over $200 and probably the SD206 would be more than adequate for my needs, but I would like to get an 8", either SD508, The Dadonator, or even the DeWalt set at a great price. Hopefuly Amazon will come through again with some great woodworking deals.

Mark Engel
04-25-2007, 5:40 PM
Not sure how helpful this is, but, I have seen some pretty good deals on Freud stacked dado sets on ebay.

Dave Sweeney
04-25-2007, 5:50 PM
Amazon recently had the SD508 at $139 so I doubt if that set will be on sale for awhile. Maybe they will have a special on the SD208 sometime in the near future.

James Hebert
04-25-2007, 6:44 PM
I hate using my stacked dado. Its a major b.... to get of the spindal as it grabs the screw turns and especially if I put the leaf spacer in.
Im much more enjoyed used the wobbly then the stack. It makes a nicer cut too.

Matt Lentzner
04-25-2007, 6:49 PM
They just started another saw blade promo - code 20OFFMAY.

The Forrest Stack was listed, not sure about Freud and the rest of them.

I'm picking up a WWII TK that I've been waiting to buy.

Happy Hunting,

Matt

Steve Roxberg
04-25-2007, 9:37 PM
Rick,

I have an 8" and can't tell you why. A 6" dado would do everything I need. I'm just not taking more that an 1" max.

I had to have an 8" and now wished I had saved the difference in price.

You may want to reconsider that need.

jonathan snyder
04-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Rick,

Check out this site. http://www.frozenwarrior.com/~pricewatch/ You can enter several Amazon item numbers. They will monitor the price for 30 days and send you an e-mail when the price drops.

Jonathan

Rob Bodenschatz
04-25-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm surprised we haven't seen more deals, too. It seems like the last few years at tax time they've really had some good ones. I did see the Hitachi 12" dual bevel SCMS for around $400 yesterday. Only lasted a few hours. That was a GREAT deal.

Bill Simmeth
04-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Maybe someone at Amazon woke up and realized they weren't making money on those deals?

Mike Henderson
04-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Maybe someone at Amazon woke up and realized they weren't making money on those deals?
Well, over the past quarter, Amazon has done very well - their profit doubled. See this article (http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/amazon-shares-rally-strong-first-quarter/story.aspx?guid=%7BA6216FA6-90B6-4873-947D-0B6A2CC51EB1%7D).

Mike

Bill Simmeth
04-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Well, over the past quarter, Amazon has done very well - their profit doubled. See this article (http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/amazon-shares-rally-strong-first-quarter/story.aspx?guid=%7BA6216FA6-90B6-4873-947D-0B6A2CC51EB1%7D).
LOL! 3.5% net isn't exactly a barn burner. For them, maybe.

Don Bullock
04-26-2007, 8:04 AM
I too have noticed the decline of super deals.:( For me that may be a good thing. The LOML keeps telling me that I've spent too much on tools this year (she's right too), so I'm glad that Amazon hasn't been tempting me to spend a lot more.;) :D

David Weaver
04-26-2007, 8:11 AM
I always like to get deals, but lately, I've been losing patience and going with what I've either had great experience with, or what FWW ranks at the top.

I was going to try one of the dado sets that were in the high 100's, but then I decide just not to get anything I don't have experience with since I don't want to buy it twice, so I ordered the forrest dado king set - 8". I've worked with an older set plenty - one without magnetic shims - and I'm willing to pay the price to make sure I only buy once.

Then I can move on to the next tool that I want :)

Don Bullock
04-26-2007, 9:45 AM
I always like to get deals, but lately, I've been losing patience and going with what I've either had great experience with, or what FWW ranks at the top.

...and I'm willing to pay the price to make sure I only buy once.

Then I can move on to the next tool that I want :)

David, that's a very valid point. The key with places like Amazon, or any other "sale" is to find a "great deal" on an item you really want or one that is better than the one you could normally afford. For me, that's when it's a "good deal." Like you, I've wasted too much money in the past on sales items that turned out not to be "good deals." Reviews like those on FWW and some of the other mags, websites and the forums are very useful in finding good, quality tools. I really appreciate all the information I've received from these forums including the posts about Amazon deals. Through one of those posts I was able to get a SCMS for less than I was planning to spend on a non-slider. Now, that, for me was a fantastic deal.:D

Ray Phillips
04-26-2007, 1:05 PM
I have just ordered a Jessem miter slide from Amazon. This slide is $299.00 at Woodcraft. Amazon has it for $199.00 and free shipping. I have wanted one for quite some time but could not pay $299.00 plus tax and shipping. I feel that I saved approx $150.00. This was a good deal for me.Can't wait to get it.