PDA

View Full Version : What is your Shop's Color Scheme?

Todd Burch
12-30-2003, 10:45 PM
In another thread, I mentioned a shop color scheme.

In my old shop, I had flat white walls with a 3" wide deep red painted chair rail at 36" high, and a painted crown moulding at the ceiling and down 4". My wife thought I was nuts when I was masking it off, but I kinda liked it. My grandfather taught me the "painting on the moulding" trick that he did for clients with very little money (back in the 30's, 40's and 50's).

In my new shop, I don't have any covering on the walls yet, but most of my cabinets all have a scheme: birdseye pine face frames and raised panel doors, with birdseye pine drawer fronts wrapped in 1/4" mahogany, all covered in amber shellac. Countertops are maple ply with 1¼" thick x 2" wide mahogany bull nose edgings, all with a poly finish. End panels (MDF) are painted a deep blue.

What is/are your shop's color scheme(s)?

Ace Karner
12-30-2003, 10:50 PM
basic sawdust i'd say LOL

Bob Lasley
12-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Todd,

My walls started out white..........I think. They are now mostly covered with lumber racks, jigs and clamps, oh, and a little pegboard here and there. My cabinets are a mix of baltic birch, mdf, birch, oak, maple or whatever else I had left over from one project or another...all unfinished. I know many of you are sticklers for finishing shop cabinets, but with the beating mine take, yeah I can be clumsy when moving 10 foot boards around, I just can't see spending time and money to make them pretty for a little while.

My shop floor.............now, it has a color scheme. At least a few drops of every stain and finish I've ever used is scattered about the floor. I think it adds ambience........don't you? :D

Hmmmm..............now you've got me thinking................how does mauve sound? ;)

Todd, if you like it, go for it buddy!

Bob

Wolf Kiessling
12-31-2003, 12:10 AM
The cabinetry is mostly baby blue. The walls are a cool, sensual flat white overlaid with a carefully applied glaze of semi transparent sawdust. Strategic areas are accented with playful splatters of various colors of stains and oils.

Wolf

Mike Evertsen
12-31-2003, 1:02 AM
flamingo pink walls with nice tied back flamingo curtains light blue ceilings,,,,,white shag carpet on the floor,,,I got palm tree lights,,,,LOL,,,,

really my shop not painted half is primed half is bare osb maybe this winter I'll get it painted,,,all semi-gloss white,,,

Dennis Peacock
12-31-2003, 1:40 AM
How about concrete gray, various tones of OSB, red steel primer and metal building interior insutlation White...well....it USED to be white.!! :)

Other than that.....everything is colored Natural WOOD.!!!

Ken Salisbury
12-31-2003, 3:30 AM
basic sawdust i'd say LOL

Mine is sawdust color also - only because everthing (and I mean everything) is covered with it. Even the stuff that is painted - (being senile I don't remember what color it was). :D :D

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-31-2003, 6:44 AM
My floor is your basic OSB, unfinished and uncovered. Walls are sheetrock with mud coating...no paint. Ceiling is very bright white 12" styrofoam tiles glued to the rock.

As others have said, most everything is covered with dust...but since I'm in the boonies with cows and poultry, I've also got gajillions of black specks high on the walls and ceiling from flies.

I hope your bubinga starts keeping you busy soon...you've got too much time to think. ;)

KC

Dick Parr
12-31-2003, 7:15 AM
The shop color scheme was originally going to be white with green trim. The trim around the window and entry door are green. The floor is gray and the walls and ceiling are gloss white. The cabinets are now white, brown and dark brown and one is painted with green drawer fronts. As I started adding cabinets around the shop, the green paint went by the wayside. Didn’t have time to paint and was getting used cabinets as they became available. Ended up just putting them up as is.

Glenn Clabo
12-31-2003, 7:28 AM
Todd...
Although I have not really noticed a color “scheme” in my shop before…your question made me look more closely. My shop has a generally brown overall hue with a slight hit of light red/beige on all horizontal surfaces due to recent cherry projects. Every once in while you will see a splash of dark stain, light varnish, with the odd paint slosh throw in as an artistic after thought.

Mark Singer
12-31-2003, 7:31 AM
Was sawdust color, got the Cyclone , everything turned grey,I think I need an interior designer....
Mark

Terry Hatfield
12-31-2003, 8:30 AM
Todd,

Did we start the New Year's Eve festivities a bit early this year???? :D

My shop would be your basic white with a bunch of Grizzly green accents. I have just a bit of Jet cream, Ridgid/Delta gray, Hitachi green, Snapon red and some real wood thrown in for good measure.

Terry

Tyler Howell
12-31-2003, 9:06 AM
I'll let Terry decorate my shop anytime.

Happy New Year.

TJH

Terry Quiram
12-31-2003, 9:36 AM
Todd

OSB walls and ceiling painted flat white. And like everyone else (except Hatfield :D ) a fine layer of dust.

Terry

Terry Hatfield
12-31-2003, 9:39 AM
I'll let Terry decorate my shop anytime.

Happy New Year.

TJH

heheheheheehhe...Thanks Tyler. :D

Terry Hatfield
12-31-2003, 9:40 AM
Todd

OSB walls and ceiling painted flat white. And like everyone else (except Hatfield :D ) a fine layer of dust.

Terry

HEY!!!!!! I resemble that remark. :D

t

Bart Leetch
12-31-2003, 10:02 AM
Todd,

Did we start the New Year's Eve festivities a bit early this year???? :D

My shop would be your basic white with a bunch of Grizzly green accents. I have just a bit of Jet cream, Ridgid/Delta gray, Hitachi green, Snapon red and some real wood thrown in for good measure.

Terry

As Jimmy Durante once said "SHOW OFF" :D :D :D

Tom Sweeney
12-31-2003, 10:06 AM
yeah right - mostly Ralph Lauren cinder block grey with a nice concrete toned off white floor & a nice contrasting rust on all metal parts - all sprinkled with a liberal amount of wood toned textured surface all over everything.

BTW - I thought we made a rule that Terry was not allowed to post any more shop pictures :p

Jim Becker
12-31-2003, 10:07 AM
The "original" part of my shop has T1-11 on the walls and is the natural color of that material. It's light enough to be bright, but has a nice look to it. The newer section of my shop has OSB on the walls and is painted a flat, off-white. Honestly, that's a little brighter and for that reason, that area is where I also do my finishing. Cabinetry is either natural or painted ivory to match the tools. Speaking of which...my tools don't stand out a whole bunch given they are Jet ivory, OneWay ivory and MiniMax white with a few tiny splashes of Delta blue and Grizzly green for good measure.

Dick Howard
12-31-2003, 12:01 PM
Me thinks some have been watching to much Martha Stewart.

Mike Evertsen
12-31-2003, 12:34 PM
yeah right - mostly Ralph Lauren cinder block grey with a nice concrete toned off white floor & a nice contrasting rust on all metal parts - all sprinkled with a liberal amount of wood toned textured surface all over everything.

BTW - I thought we made a rule that Terry was not allowed to post any more shop pictures :p

I printed pictures of Terry's shop and going to hang them in my shop,,,,
that is what I want my shop to look like by Dec. 31st some year

Roger Fitzsimonds
12-31-2003, 1:42 PM
lower hallf osb and the uppers are peg board. I want to paint them white eventually. my plywood floor is delaminating so I am going to add a layer of plastic and then t&g 3/4 plywood flooring. While the shop is tore up for this I will paint the walls and drip on the floor.

Roger

Todd Burch
12-31-2003, 1:53 PM
Mike - why put the pictures up? You just set a goal to "want" your shop to look like that at some point in the future!! If you WANT it to look like that now - you just succeeded!

Hanging Terry's pristine shop pictures up in mine would just add to the clutter!

I do try to keep my shop looking somewhat good. Clients come over and are impressed with how "neat" it looks. When you charge high prices, I feel you need to project some resemblance of "particularity". I'm going for that warm, cozy feel. Walls will probably eventually be light yellow when I cover them, with white mouldings.

Terry Hatfield
12-31-2003, 6:57 PM

Tom,

hehehehehe....I guess I kinda forgot. :D

Terry

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-31-2003, 7:22 PM
I do try to keep my shop looking somewhat good. Clients come over and are impressed with how "neat" it looks. When you charge high prices, I feel you need to project some resemblance of "particularity". I'm going for that warm, cozy feel. Walls will probably eventually be light yellow when I cover them, with white mouldings.

That's why I have to keep clients out of my shop. It's bad enough the missus sees it a couple times a year. I've concinced myself that it makes it look like I'm actually getting something done. :rolleyes:

KC

Mark Singer
12-31-2003, 7:37 PM
You can try it first wit sketch-up and and if you can't find a scheme that renders to your liking....
theres ketchup..."Paint it red"
Happy New Years
Mark

Julie Wright
12-31-2003, 10:31 PM
Terry do you work in that shop
IT's too clean, I'd be afraid to get it dusty.

LEts see, white walls, concrete grey floor, lots of stains, Grizzly green, Ridgid orange, Jet white and craftsman grey.

Terry Hatfield
12-31-2003, 11:11 PM
Terry do you work in that shop
IT's too clean, I'd be afraid to get it dusty.

Julie,

Of course I do!!!!! I just clean up from time to time.....OK......OK......I admit to being totally anal about the shop. Just can't stand for it to be cluttered. There are some among us here that have actually seen it in a disastrous state, you know who you are. They are sworn to secrecy. :D

Here is a recent pic of actual dust.

t

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-31-2003, 11:20 PM
Caught Ya! Sure.......throw a little Sawdust at the base of the Griz, and then shoot a pic of it. What a SNEAKY way to post another picture of the "Laboratory"! Are you sure Intel Corporation isn't using your shop for their Clean Room for Computer Chips when you ain't around? Just a rumor I heard................................. :D ;) :p

Dean Baumgartner
12-31-2003, 11:27 PM
Well,
I'm almost finished with the shop. The walls are gloss white so they wipe down easy. The floor is basic concrete with some drips of gloss white. Tomorrow I should have the air piping done and then I guess I'll have to declare it officially a shop instead of a project hoping to be a shop. I should probably take a bunch of pictures of it so I can show off a good looking shop before it descends into the chaos of all it's predecessors.

Have a Happy New Year.

Dean

Terry Hatfield
01-01-2004, 12:00 AM
Caught Ya! Sure.......throw a little Sawdust at the base of the Griz, and then shoot a pic of it. What a SNEAKY way to post another picture of the "Laboratory"! Are you sure Intel Corporation isn't using your shop for their Clean Room for Computer Chips when you ain't around? Just a rumor I heard................................. :D ;) :p

Kevin,

That's REAL dust that escaped from the tilt slot on the tablesaw....really.

t

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-01-2004, 12:42 AM
OK Terry..............I'm takin' yer word for it! I WILL be checkin' that story out next summer at the BBQ.............I want to see the saw run, and that sawdust sneak out of that slot for myself. By the way..........ya DID clean that up right away, dint ya? :p

Terry Hatfield
01-01-2004, 12:49 AM
OK Terry..............I'm takin' yer word for it! I WILL be checkin' that story out next summer at the BBQ.............I want to see the saw run, and that sawdust sneak out of that slot for myself. By the way..........ya DID clean that up right away, dint ya? :p

Well...DUH!!!! :D Of course I did.

t

Bart Leetch
01-01-2004, 2:37 AM
I'll bet if you bring a snack out to the shop to munch on & drop it on the floor you probably could pick it up & eat it. When I come visiting I'm bringing a bag of sawdust & a camera. Throw it on the floor & stand back & take a picture. Because I know 10 seconds later it'll be gone sucking swish burp gone. :p :D ;)

Terry Hatfield
01-01-2004, 9:04 AM
I'll bet if you bring a snack out to the shop to munch on & drop it on the floor you probably could pick it up & eat it. When I come visiting I'm bringing a bag of sawdust & a camera. Throw it on the floor & stand back & take a picture. Because I know 10 seconds later it'll be gone sucking swish burp gone. :p :D ;)

Bart,

You are always welcome here, would love to have you visit....but......... we do check visitors for "foreign substances" before they enter the shop. :D

t

Terry Quiram
01-01-2004, 10:34 AM
Kevin

Last year at the BBQ I took great pleasure throwing saw dust and scraps from the scroll saw all over the place. :D They even stayed there overnight. Terry I don't know how you slept that night. :rolleyes:

Terry

Terry Hatfield
01-01-2004, 10:52 AM
Kevin

Last year at the BBQ I took great pleasure throwing saw dust and scraps from the scroll saw all over the place. :D They even stayed there overnight. Terry I don't know how you slept that night. :rolleyes:

Terry

I was just really tired from all that "hospitality", like letting everyone trash my shop. :D

t

Ken Salisbury
01-01-2004, 10:57 AM
I was just really tired from all that "hospitality", like letting everyone trash my shop. :D

I DID MY PART TO DO EXACTLY THAT
(trash the place that is :D )

Jim Becker
01-01-2004, 10:57 AM
That's REAL dust that escaped from the tilt slot on the tablesaw....really.

Maybe you need a more powerful dust collection system... :p

Lynn Sonier
01-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Mines whatever color aged cypress is.

Terry Hatfield
01-01-2004, 1:33 PM
Maybe you need a more powerful dust collection system... :p

Jim,

Hmmm.....nope I bet that's not the answer. :eek: Just need to seal up the tilt slot a bit better. :D

t

Jim Becker
01-01-2004, 3:04 PM
Just need to seal up the tilt slot a bit better.

Maybe a little dust escaping like that isn't so bad...I'm sure I don't have to mention to "you" that the air has to come from somewhere to move the dust!! Besides...that "sucker" of yours is about as good as it comes. :cool:

Bart Leetch
01-01-2004, 3:33 PM
My shop has been scheming to get color for a long time.

The walls are off white where you can see them & the ceiling is off white. The floor is blue & black where covered by anti-fatigue mats.

The cabinets are a mix of grey, white & a combination of tan cabinet & blue doors. The bench is Poplar stained with Watco.

The tools are a combination of old Craftsman gold & newer Craftsman Lighter grey & newer Craftsman darker grey amid Grizzly green & a little Delta green & Shopfox white.

Unlike Terry's shop my is a little cluttered & dusty. But then my shop would fit into a corner of Terry's shop.

Ah well we all have our problems.

John Scarpa
01-02-2004, 4:55 PM
Right now I have this open stud wall, "2-car garage" motiff laced with scattered Shop Fox cream, Mini Max and delta grey. Hoping to progress to paneled walls and MDF cabinets later.

David LaRue
01-02-2004, 6:39 PM
Ok, I'll bite.. :rolleyes:

When I painted my shop (12 years ago) I mixed all of my leftover white (read variants) paints into a 5 gal bucket and stated painting! Still the same off white, with a bit of sawdust thrown in the make it looked lived in!

Tool colors are a bit of gold, lots of grey, one orange, and one yellow. :D I call it eclectic.

Dave