PDA

View Full Version : Got A Big Hunk Of Wood

James Mittlefehldt
04-25-2007, 4:01 PM
I just obtained a very large piece of what was billed as African Mahogany, 49 X 25 X 4 thick.

My initial thoughts were to get it to a band saw mill and have it rendered down to four pieces and use it to make a cabinet makers tool chest. Does that sound reasonable, what would you do with it?

My wife was not overly enthusiastic about it till she saw it and then she said somewhat carefully, Do you really feel it should go for a tool box?

I had planed a little patch with a block plane, two thin shavings and the grain just popped, she likes it.

Michael Hammers
04-25-2007, 4:12 PM
I picked up a lot of 4/4 last fall but have yet to decide what to do with it. It is all long and straight plus the grain and fleck is beautiful. I have had a few projects I was going to use it on, but everytime I pull it out I decide to wait....:o Hoarding wood is maddening at times.....:eek: so good luck!
Cheers, Michael

Louis Bois
04-25-2007, 5:56 PM
James, how about a little rocking horse?:eek: You wouldn't even have to paint it!!!;)

Cheers,

Zahid Naqvi
04-25-2007, 7:13 PM
My wife was not overly enthusiastic about it till she saw it and then she said somewhat carefully, Do you really feel it should go for a tool box?

Let us see, do you like sleeping in the house or do you prefer the garage/shop? Do you need approval/consent from th LOYL to buy new tools?

Another way to look at it is if you make a tools cabinet, you will be the only one enjoying and appreciating it. If you make a piece of furniture for the house you will have a bigger audience and a few more appreciative users.

Alan Turner
04-25-2007, 7:47 PM
James,
If you use it for a tool chest, then she will truly appreciate your commitment to the craft. Go for it. She can see it when she brings you a bit of Mr. Anderson's oft seen white wine.

Or not.

Nancy Laird
04-25-2007, 7:51 PM
Suggestion: make a jewelry box for her out of part of it, then she won't be so jealous when you make your tool box out of the rest of it. :p ;) Sounds like you have enough there to do both.

Nancy

Mark Stutz
04-25-2007, 8:39 PM
Suggestion: make a jewelry box for her out of part of it, then she won't be so jealous when you make your tool box out of the rest of it. :p ;) Sounds like you have enough there to do both.

Nancy

That's a good idea if she already has jewelry to fill it!:D If not, that tool chest may turn out to be very expensive!:eek:

That sounds like a beautiful chunk of wood...of course since we can't see it, it probably doesn't really exist!:D ;)

Mark

James Mittlefehldt
04-25-2007, 10:01 PM
I wondered when the picture police would turn up, lol.

The piece in question was cut about forty years ago in the early seventies, the original owner was considering it for carving I gather, but he tended to switch hobbies fairly regularily. When the guy who sold it to me bought it fifteen years ago the then owner was trying to raise capital for his latest hobby, Computers.

I will attempt to get a picture of it for those who doubt, but that must rely upon my wife who knows of such things.

Mark Stutz
04-25-2007, 11:12 PM
James,
Seriously, that sounds like a beautiful piece of wood. I really shouldn't talk since my wall hung hand tool cabinet is made of mahogany. It is a great wood to work with hand tools. Depending on what you have in mind, I would try to accomplish both goals...something for your tools and something for LOYL.

Mark

Bob Oehler
04-26-2007, 12:23 PM
If you are having that hard of a time deciding on what to do I can give you a great Idea. Send it to my and I can make a set of matching end tables for my wife and I's bedroom. Hey I will be nice and even pay the shipping ;) .

Enjoy your find and what ever you decide to make with it have fun working with the Mahogany it is truely a great wood to work with.

Enjoy
Bob Oehler