PDA

View Full Version : What is Wool Lube?

Andy Howard
04-25-2007, 2:49 PM
I am going to be rubbing out some amber shellac with steel wool to bring it down to a satin finish after spraying it. I see references to using wool lube, or a soap (murphy's oil soap) and water as a lubricant. So I have 2 questions.

1. What is wool lube? Relabeled soap, oil, etc.?

2. Will the lube create a better finish, or just make the rubout go faster?

Thanks,
Andy

J D Thomas
04-25-2007, 3:31 PM
Wool Lube is made by Behlen, and it comes in a squeeze bottle. You use it as a lubricant when rubbing something out with steel wool. I've used it in the past and it worked fine. But is it really necessary? I've also used a mild dish soap and water mixture and it worked just as well.

J D Thomas
ThomaStudios

Andy Howard
04-25-2007, 4:01 PM
J.D.

Thanks for the response.

I am really trying to figure out if this is another case of a product being rebadged as some woodworker specific item. The biggest example I can think of this happening is with all the "butcher block" or cutting board finishes. They are almost always mineral oil in a different bottle and at 5 times the price. Just trying to figure out what the stuff truly is on the chemical level. For all I know they are putting soapy water in a bottle and selling it for $10.

Any idea if this works or is needed with the synthetic steel wool?

Any possibility of harming the finish with Wool lube or soapy water?

Thanks,
Andy

J D Thomas
04-25-2007, 5:09 PM
Andy,

The Wool Lube is thicker than soapy water, so it runs less. I used regular steel wool with it, but I don't see any reason to use or not use synthetic. I used it to rub out polyurethane and it did no damage. Other finishes, hmm....dunno.