PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the Great White North

gary Zimmel
04-25-2007, 12:24 PM
I join a couple of weeks ago and have spent hours on the site. The information on the site is great. Over the past while I have been trying my hand at using hand tools more and more. ( a big adjustment ). My downfall has been the place I buy my wood has started to carry LN. It seems eveytime I go in to buy a little wood I come out with a couple of more planes.... I seem to have caught some sort of disease.
I have built a cabinet for all of my bench planes ( block plane cabinet is in the works) and am ready to load it up ,but was reading on a thread that plywood can cause my planes to rust. Is ths still true if one has sealed the plywood with a bunch of coats of poly. I will get a few pics of the first cabinet and post them.
All of your imput would be greatly welcomed.

Gary Zimmel

Mark Stutz
04-25-2007, 3:28 PM
First, welcome to the Creek. You seem to have already slipped so enfoy the ride down this slope! This question has come up several times. A couple software versions ago, we had a chat room and had some Neander nights. In discussion, there were varying experiences, and I suspect it may vary with the type, and glues involved. I was concerned when I built mine. I chose to cover the ply with 1/8 cork. I tested it with a modern Stanley...see they are good for something!...letting it sit for 3 weeks. There were no problems, so I proceeded and have not had any problems. It may be prudent to do some kind of test first. Looking forward to PICS of the plane till.

Mark

gary Zimmel
04-25-2007, 4:10 PM
Thanks Mark. One other question, did you do anything to the cork (Raw or sealed)

Mark Stutz
04-25-2007, 4:39 PM
I didn't do anything to the cork. I got 1/8" in sheets at the office supply store. Glued it down with Titebond. I'll take some PICS tonight when I'm at home.

Mark

Randall Houghton
04-25-2007, 11:17 PM
Hi Gary
Welcome to the creek. I never heard of plywood causing rust on planes unless it was wet. Solution to the problem is Plane Socks. I keep all my planes including the LN's in them and haven't had any problems. Also helps keep the dust out of your good planes.
Regards
Randy

Pam Niedermayer
04-25-2007, 11:30 PM
I built a couple of mostly plywood (doors are poplar) cabinets 6 years ago in which I've stored planes every since. No rust problems at all.

Pam

Charles McKinley
04-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Hi Gary,

Welcome to the Creek.

I detect several drive by gloats in this post! :D

As per rules- no pictures it didn't happen! Beware the picture police will be after you!!!!!!! :D :D :D

May the LNs bring you many years of pleasure and projects to share here at the Creek.