PDA

View Full Version : Resurfacing Granite???

Mark Koenig
04-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Have any of you tried to resurface a piece of granite if the image did turn out? Do you think a countertop scratch kit would work from Lowes? It would be nice to experiment with the same piece more than a few times… I’m trying to figure out my settings without sacrificing a bunch of material :eek:...

Thanks Mark.

Lee DeRaud
04-25-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm just working with granite tile, at $5-6 each...I suspect the scratch kit plus the wasted time costs a lot more than that.

Now if you find an easy way to make the edges of the tiles match the surface, that's worth the price of admission.

Joe Pelonio
04-25-2007, 10:59 AM
I have not, but my shop used to be 3 doors down from a countertop fabrication shop. I watched them polishing and they used a wet process
using various levels of abrasive and a power polisher with a disk that was probably 16" diameter. First few passes used a metal disk, the last few felt.

It seems like in the case of a laser engraved piece you would not have to go as deep as they do with raw granite, so maybe a car-type polisher would do,
the problem would be where to purchase the abrasives.

Mark Koenig
04-25-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm just working with granite tile, at $5-6 each...I suspect the scratch kit plus the wasted time costs a lot more than that.

Now if you find an easy way to make the edges of the tiles match the surface, that's worth the price of admission.

It’s a granite plaque from a tombstone shop. Only had one chance and it did not turn out like I expected. Was only asking to see if a “special piece” could be repaired if the laser did not come out and be able to have another chance…

Mark Koenig
04-25-2007, 11:03 AM
I have not, but my shop used to be 3 doors down from a countertop fabrication shop. I watched them polishing and they used a wet process
using various levels of abrasive and a power polisher with a disk that was probably 16" diameter. First few passes used a metal disk, the last few felt.

It seems like in the case of a laser engraved piece you would not have to go as deep as they do with raw granite, so maybe a car-type polisher would do,
the problem would be where to purchase the abrasives.

Lowes said they have some scratch repair kits… Has anyone tried them?

P.S> Thanks for the info on the counter shop.

Ray Mighells
04-29-2007, 3:23 PM
Does anyone know why the edges and back of black granite is grey? My suspicion is that before final polish the granite surface gets a treatment of black dye or some such. I have a few pieces I wasn't happy with, so thought I would raster off the whole surface, dye or paint the surface and try it again. Works on marble, should work on granite. I'll let you know.

Thad Nickoley
04-29-2007, 4:47 PM
There are a dozen or more "black" granites. they all differ depending on the region they come from. The final color that you see is from polishing. There are no paints or dye involved. If you raster off the surface you will need to re-polish. Probably be better off just buying a new piece.

Bill Cunningham
04-29-2007, 9:22 PM
Does anyone know why the edges and back of black granite is grey? My suspicion is that before final polish the granite surface gets a treatment of black dye or some such. I have a few pieces I wasn't happy with, so thought I would raster off the whole surface, dye or paint the surface and try it again. Works on marble, should work on granite. I'll let you know.

When I have a piece of scrap granite, or even the back of something that didn't turn out so well.:eek: I give it I coat of black enamel (rattle can) and use it for test pieces.. So yup!! You can paint it just like marble..

Belinda Barfield
04-30-2007, 10:54 AM
As part owner, and facility manager, of a stone fabricaiton shop I can offer a little info.

Granite tiles and slabs are gray on the edges and back because they are left unpolished. Stone is not dyed as an industry standard, but some materials coming in from China several years ago were dyed - mainly marble. You can resurface marble fairly easily. Granite - especially black - is another animal altogether. "Absolute Black" granite is not even granite, but basalt. With hand tools you cannot achieve a "factory" polish. You really won't even come close. Check with stone shops in your area. If you find one with a resurfacing capabilities they could remove the markings and repolish; however, the price of a new tile will be significantly less than resurfacing.

If you want to give edge polishing, or surface polishing a try here is a list of the basics you will need. Working stone is just like working wood, only we use diamond abrasives. All of these items are available from any stone supply company.

Air or electric polisher. If you have airlines in your shop already go with an Alpha Air 658 if you have a large compressor. This tool requires 80 to 90 PSI at 16 CFM. For electric get a Flex LW1503.
3" or 4" rigid back up pad, 3" or 4" flexible back up pad
Polishing pads, set of 7, 50 grit up to 3000 grit and final polish black. With a little practice you can eliminate some of the grits.
Dust protection
Rubber boots, apron, etc.

This is a very messy, very wet process. Good luck!