PDA

View Full Version : Wax

Rich Stewart
04-25-2007, 10:10 AM
I just bought a persimmon bowl blank and when i got it, it was totally encased in wax. As if it had been dipped. Is this good for it? It seems to me that being encased like that would prevent it from drying at all. It has always been my understanding that anchorseal and such was to slow the drying thus preventing cracks. Not to completely stop the drying process. Any thoughts on this? Should I take some of the wax off if I don't intend to turn it right away?

Thanks,

Rich

Bernie Weishapl
04-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Rich I don't worry about it. I have several blanks that are all incased in wax and it hasn't seemed to bother.

Jeffrey Fusaro
04-25-2007, 10:16 AM
rich--

i've purchased a few blanks from rockler that had the wax coating.

it keeps the wood from drying and cracking on the shelf.

i'd leave the wax on until you're ready to turn it.

just like fresh cut wood, you'll want to turn rough, then let it dry before turning to final shape.

Frank Kobilsek
04-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Rich

If the wax is tight to the blank it will be fine. If its a little loose scrape if off and turn the piece soon.

When I first started turned I harvested a big load of maple burl. I melted pariffin wax and dipped the pieces completely. Some of the piece sealed up tight and were fine. Others as the wax cooled got a thick coat that cracked and mold grew like mad under the wax. It spalted some of the blanks and just stained others. Mold really did not hurt anything, it was just messy.

Frank

Pat Salter
04-26-2007, 12:27 AM
The wax doesn't stop the wood from drying, it just ssslllloooooowwwwwwssss it down.

Some days I feel like i've been waxed:rolleyes:

Philip Duffy
04-26-2007, 5:27 AM
Persimmon attracts wood eating bugs like bees to honey so the wax keeps the wood safe for your use. When you get it turned it will make a great handle, just be sure to seal it with poly/etc. Phil

Rich Stewart
04-26-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks fellas.