PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking places to see in Orange County, CA?

Irvin Cooper
04-24-2007, 9:50 PM
Good evening all.

Business takes me to Huntington Beach, CA next week with a couple of afternoons where I will have a chance to slip out for a while.

Does anyone have any recommendations on woodworking-related sites or places to visit in the area?

Thanks in advance.

Irv

Vijay Kumar
04-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Laguna Tools is in Irvine. They have a warehouse, not a showroom. That said it is great opportunity to see these machines first hand. Just call them up a couple of days in advance and make an appointment--just tell them that you are interested in a band saw,combo machine whatever. No walk ins. Once you get there you can see all their equipment, usually getting ready for shipment to customers. They will try to sell you the machines, but it is a low pressure type--not like a car dealer.

Good evening all.

Business takes me to Huntington Beach, CA next week with a couple of afternoons where I will have a chance to slip out for a while.

Does anyone have any recommendations on woodworking-related sites or places to visit in the area?

Thanks in advance.

Irv

skip coyne
04-24-2007, 10:35 PM
I lived in Huntington beach in the early 80's and there was a tool store I used to go to in LA

as I recall the name was "cutting edge " I don't know if there still around

sascha gast
04-25-2007, 12:05 AM
not much that I know of. just enjoy the time at the beach, go to Bolsa Chica and watch some birds, rejuvinate yourself so when you get back home the creative juices are flowing

John A. Williams
04-25-2007, 12:22 AM
Go to Austin Hardwoods, in Santa Ana. Probably 10-15 miles from Huntington Beach. You will not be disappointed!
John

Matt Meiser
04-25-2007, 7:44 AM
Send Mark Singer a PM and see if he will be in town.

Rennie Heuer
04-25-2007, 7:59 AM
Take a short ride to Pasadena and see the Gamble house.

Don Bullock
04-25-2007, 8:06 AM
Take a short ride to Pasadena and see the Gamble house.

That "short ride" will take several hours on the LA freeways.:eek:

glenn bradley
04-25-2007, 9:40 AM
There's a Woodcraft in Stanton Beach if that tickles your fancy.

Ted Miller
04-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Woodcraft in Stanton is located on Beach Blvd and the 22 freeway, Rockler in Tustin is located on Tustin ave off the 55 freeway and Katella. Laguna Tools in Irvine and call Rick Kerrigan in tooling and sales and he take you back to the shipping area and you can play with all the machines. They are located just off Jamborree close to the 405 freeway on Murphy ave...

Mike Henderson
04-25-2007, 11:39 AM
And, of course, Sam Maloof is in the area but you probably can't just drop in on him.

Mike

Jeff Weight
04-26-2007, 1:46 AM
You can go to Sam's place on the weekend and take the tour of the his old house. Then walk the grounds and peek through the shop windows. Sam lives on the property and there's a good chance you might run into him. :)

Derek Arita
04-26-2007, 11:25 AM
If you're into ww machines, big and small, try California Woodworking Machines in Anaheim. They have new and used machines to look at.

James Hebert
04-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Id visit Ganahl lumber in Anaheim. Its a huge lumber mill that you can drive around. Its pretty interesting

Ted Miller
04-26-2007, 12:25 PM
James, I wish the Ganahl by my house would enclose all their plywood, a roof over the lumber is not enough. I have to admit their hardwoods are very expensive but they are S4S...

Roland Chung
04-26-2007, 12:27 PM
5/4 through 5/6 (Fri - Sun) there is a good sized woodworking show going on at the Pomona Fairgrounds. Not exactly OC, but only 20-30 minutes away depending on where you are coming from and without traffic.

RC

John Keane
04-26-2007, 9:54 PM
Austin Hardware; 6th and Poinsettia in Santa Ana. Spitting distance from the Railway Station. Take the 5 Freeway south and get off at Grand Avenue heading west. A mile to 1 1/2 miles from the Freeway. If you get to First street in Santa Ana you have gone to far south. Enjoy.