PDA

View Full Version : Fast duplicating ?

Perry Holbrook
04-24-2007, 8:33 PM
What is the best method for making duplicates as fast as possible? My work is production and it is taking me much too long to turn and get as close too an exact duplicate as possible. I have a Vega duplicator for my Jet mini. It does OK but I can turn faster free hand if only I could get all the pieces the same.

Can anyone point me to a good system, process, or technique?

Thanks, Perry

Stephen Hibbs
04-24-2007, 8:37 PM
I've heard of shining a bright light from above, and tracing the profile of the model on a paper taped to the bed. then when you work on your next piece, you just keep going until the shadow matches your outline. Sounds like it would wok, though I've never tried it

Jim Becker
04-24-2007, 8:41 PM
Duplicators, when you take into consideration the amount of work you have to do to "finish" the workpiece afterward don't always save time. Honestly, you can do pretty close duplication by hand on many things through getting into the swing of things via repetition and visualization while you're doing the work...just expect a few pieces that will be off enough to be kindling with the majority fine. Small variances are usually ok unless you're using the components together so closely that the eye can readily discern the differences. The more distance between them, the less chance to see the variances. I found this out when I was turning chair spindles a few years ago for a project (that I still have not finished, alas...)...the duplicator wasted more time and I could actually turn nearly identical back spindles much faster by hand. Having a sample right behind the workpiece to reference from can also be very helpful.

joe greiner
04-26-2007, 8:47 AM
There's an interesting contraption described at: http://www.delorie.com/wood/tips/

Boink "Parallax pattern jig..."

Was available as direct link when I bookmarked it, but direct link now omits pictures; now need to access as listed here.

Only problem with it is you need to look directly at the pattern, i.e. "in the line of fire." Needn't be hazardous, though, if the piece is near final shape for pattern work.

Joe

Pat Salter
04-26-2007, 9:30 AM
I think the duplicators do just that, they duplicate. That doesn't mean it's going to be faster. only going to give you 25 pens that all look the same, or 24 table legs, or whatever that match....For speed you're probably going to have to do like they said, get into the repitition (sp?) thing of just repeating over and over and over. get your tools close so you can do everything with as little loss of motion/time as possible. And maybe some good snappy Jazz, or boogie music or something that keeps you moving.

Bill Grumbine
04-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Perry, there are a lot of variables here. First, how complex is the pattern you are duplicating? How close do the individual pieces need to be to one another? How close do they need to be to an absolute dimension (which can be a different answer than to the previous question). How good of a finish is specified? How easily does the wood you are using cut?

My experience with duplication is that the more experience you have, the better you will get. I will usually do my duplicating with a story stick and some calipers. I will mark out all the high and low points on a piece, and then "connect the dots". After doing three or four, I am warmed up. After doing 30 or 40, I am doing them all the same very quickly. After 300-400 I am sick of it and want to do something else! :eek: Actually, I can get sick of something a lot sooner, but part of that depends on how much I am making per piece. :D

Truth be told, most of my duplicating is limited to four of something, like table legs. I do a lot of copying spindles for broken pieces of furniture where I am duplicating one. But, practice is king regardless of how many you are making, and with some calipers, either storebought or homemade, a story stick, and some practice, you can do well yourself.

Commercial duplicators are good if you have lots and lots of something to do, but you are probably going to need to do a whole bunch to justify the setup, and you can plan on doing more sanding unless you tweak the cutter some. They are also helpful for people who do not have the time or the inclination to practice, but if you are billing yourself as a production turner, you will be practicing.

Good luck with it, and I hope this helps you out some.

Bill

Perry Holbrook
04-26-2007, 12:46 PM
I realize that the more time I spend on the lathe, the faster and better I'll be. Because I work in several other media, I only turn about 2 days a month, so it will take me longer than I would like to get to that point. In the mean time, I'm looking for any help I can get.

Thanks for the answers, you've given me several ideas.

The pieces I am trying to duplicate are all small in size, generally around 3" in dia. Here they are.

Thanks again, Perry