PDA

View Full Version : Socks Man, I need Socks

Per Swenson
04-24-2007, 2:55 AM
I never thought to ask, I mean its almost a personal question.

But I am looking for the best socks on the planet.

Folks, I am getting old and tired. I am on my feet in hot

sweaty boots every day of the year, spend loads on boots

and rotate them..... but socks?

I always end up with the wallmart dispose a pack and I suffer.

So is there..you know...a sock out there that is so good to your feet

you cry when the dryer sends it to the other dimension?

I gotta know.

Per

Jim Dunn
04-24-2007, 5:36 AM
Alas my wife shops at The Mart as well.
My feet burn along with my money.
She did find some called Wilsons at the mart.

Best I've ever had were Thoro's. Sold at Famous Barr and other upper end stores.

Guess my feet don't count as she still shops at the mart for my socks.

Don't get me talking bout underwear:)

Chris Barton
04-24-2007, 5:49 AM
Per,

Try going to a hiking and camping store and looking at their specialty socks for hiking and climbing. They are expensive but, much higher quality than Wally's and they have the specialized fabric blends that provide additional comfort and wick away sweat.

Bill Lewis
04-24-2007, 6:07 AM
The best winter socks I found was at Wal-Mart. In the sporting goods department. Look for the highest content of Merino Wool, Woolrich brand is best. Warm, dry, and lots of cushion, and they last. These may be too warm for summer use though.
I pick up several pairs each year when I go down to a friends place in NC. Our Wal-Marts don't have nearly as well stocked sporting goods sections where I live.

Ken Werner
04-24-2007, 7:07 AM
Hi Per,
I like socks. More than brand I look for ingredients. Wool is best if you can stand it. If you can't, you can slowly train yourself to. Merino wool is the best. Good brands include Wigwam. Thorlo is comfy, but has alot of acrylic that can cause sweaty feet. Smartwool is good, but pricey. Wigwam has some "premium" socks now that have merino.

Look at Sierratradingpost.com for good discounts/closeouts on high end socks. Campmor.com for wide selection.

Happy feeting.
Ken

Glenn Clabo
04-24-2007, 7:07 AM
Per...you won't go wrong here...
http://www.thewalkingco.com/Category.aspx?pagetag=men_socks

Belinda Barfield
04-24-2007, 7:34 AM
Per,

Find the local store that caters to runners, or specializes in running footwear. Most socks for running are designed to wick moisture away from the foot. Thorlo's are good. You would think cotton would be best, but once wet, stays wet. Go for an acrylic (I think) blend. You may have some difficulty finding a "taller" sock since most runners wear low rise socks. Drawback - good running socks start at around $8.00 per pair as I recall.

Per Swenson
04-24-2007, 7:53 AM
You guys are great.

I thank you, louie and Rooty thank you.

I have always been concerned with the condition of my tootsies,

but recently as I have started to grow up, I have become obsessed.

Actually what did it was one sock. Just one.

That would be the one that fell down past my ankle while framing the

rafters on the third story. Darn near lost my feeble mind.

Couldn't think about anything else... you know like measurements.

Do keep your favorites coming though.

I plan on stocking up for a few years.

Per

Jim O'Dell
04-24-2007, 8:07 AM
You guys are great.

I thank you, louie and Rooty thank you.

I have always been concerned with the condition of my tootsies,

but recently as I have started to grow up, I have become obsessed.

Actually what did it was one sock. Just one.

That would be the one that fell down past my ankle while framing the

rafters on the third story. Darn near lost my feeble mind.

Couldn't think about anything else... you know like measurements.

Per

Per, didn't you know that's why God made rubber bands???!!!:D Jim.

Paul Greathouse
04-24-2007, 8:19 AM
Per

Another vote for wool, I have to wear steel toe boots at work. I wear Wool year round, they keep my feet warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Walmart carried a heavy wool sock in the sporting goods section for several years but discontinued them. Now I get them from sporting goods stores. Do you have an Academy Sporting Goods store in you area?

The socks do exactly what they brag about on the label, they wick the moisture away from your skin. Keeps my feet nice and dry.

Mark Engel
04-24-2007, 8:40 AM
Duluth Trading company has a good selection of working person's socks, along with hundreds of other very high quality clothing items.

They can be a bit spendy, though.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/

Andy Hoyt
04-24-2007, 8:45 AM
Problem solved Per.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5483704.html

Charles McKinley
04-24-2007, 9:35 AM
Hi Per,

As others have said, "MERINO WOOL ROCKS!"

Smart Wool was one of the first and stil one of the best but a little pricey as will mmmost of the really good ones especially if you want higher socks.

Rohner very nice nifty colors :D

This past winter Sam's club of all places had two different types and both are acceptable at about $4 a pair. Unfortunately they were a seasonal item.

Woolrich: find an outlet store and look at the selection.

Nike had some great wool socks but I haven't seen them in a few years.

Sierra Trading Post is a great place to buy stuff at a reduced price. stp.com I think.

Do not buy a bunch of one type at once. Try a few different ones then stock up on the ones you like. Hiking stores should leave you try them on before you buy.

Warning: Once you start wearing good socks you will not be able to stand the feel of cheap cotton socks ever again.

Al Willits
04-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Maybe a dumb suggestion, but any chance on a lighter booth that maybe breathes a bit better than what you have?

Al

David G Baker
04-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Haven't tried Marino but live in Ingenius year around. They may be a Wigwam product. I am diabetic so I have to take real good care of my feet and so far Ingenius have taken good care of me. If all else fails, an old Army trick in to wear silk socks covered by wool. Fox River did well too but I can't find them locally any longer.

Roy Harding
04-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Having spent my 25 years in the Army, dressed in army boots, I may have a solution for you.

Wear light, natural fiber (cotton or silk) next to your skin. Over these, wear wool socks. The moisture from your feet will wick away and be stored in the wool until it can be evaporated through the boot. This wicking action keeps your feet cool(er) in the summer, and warm in the winter. Wool retains a good percentage of its' insulating value when wet. If you're wearing boots in the summer, see if you can find canvas sided boots (jungle boots). I don't know what is available like this on the civilian market - I still use my old jungle and desert boots from the service.

Sprinkle on and rub in some foot powder prior to donning the socks. If you can't find foot powder, baby powder works just as well.

I've heard good things about gortex socks, but haven't tried them (they were just being introduced to the Canadian Army as I was getting out about 3 years ago). As I understand it they work in a similar way - wicking moisture away from your feet.

Roy

Al Wasser
04-24-2007, 10:50 AM
I will second SmartWool socks. They are pricey. You can get different weight socks. I first used them for fishing. They keep my feet warm while wading streams, but now I have about 10 pair. They run about $15 a pair but watch ebay and Sierra Treading Post and you can pick them up for about half that.

Doug Shepard
04-24-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm still searching for the elusive perfect socks for warmer weather.

For winter socks, these are fast becoming my favorite. I got a pair of
these for Christmas and think I'm going to buy a few more myself.
http://www.ruoutside.com/PD.aspx?P=1029

Kyle Stiefel
04-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Having spent my 25 years in the Army, dressed in army boots, I may have a solution for you.

Wear light, natural fiber (cotton or silk) next to your skin. Over these, wear wool socks. The moisture from your feet will wick away and be stored in the wool until it can be evaporated through the boot. This wicking action keeps your feet cool(er) in the summer, and warm in the winter. Wool retains a good percentage of its' insulating value when wet. If you're wearing boots in the summer, see if you can find canvas sided boots (jungle boots). I don't know what is available like this on the civilian market - I still use my old jungle and desert boots from the service.

Sprinkle on and rub in some foot powder prior to donning the socks. If you can't find foot powder, baby powder works just as well.

I've heard good things about gortex socks, but haven't tried them (they were just being introduced to the Canadian Army as I was getting out about 3 years ago). As I understand it they work in a similar way - wicking moisture away from your feet.

Roy

Roy,

Well put. I will also second and third what the guys are saying. For general work, wool. I have found nothing is better then "Smartwool" brand socks, costs a few buck but well worth it. I use silk liners for hunting, hiking, etc. Although I have to disagree with the cotton anything other then oiling furniture, but if the sock fits, wear it.

Kyle

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-24-2007, 1:22 PM
LL Bean, Eastern Mountain Sports have great socks, and I'll bet any good hunting mega store will too.
All available online.

Keith Starosta
04-24-2007, 2:34 PM
Click the following link, and you will be taken to the most comfortable sock that have ever touched my tootsies......they are AWESOME!!!

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/86014.aspx?feature=Product_13

A bit pricey, but hey.....ain't your piggies worth it? :D

- Keith

Jeff Heil
04-24-2007, 2:39 PM
FWIW- I wear Rocky 8" boots all day, sometimes as long at 18 hours at a crack for work. I have had success at the recomendation of my foot doc using spray deoderant to keep my feet drier and happier. I also am a big fan of arch supports, and not the cheap ones. I can be on my feet all day with my Padag arch supports without the sore feet I used to experience.

I echo the wool recomendations as well.

jeremy levine
04-24-2007, 4:25 PM
Check out http://www.campmor.com they have every brand I see mentioned here. Check on the left hand pannel for a direct link to the socks dept.

glenn bradley
04-24-2007, 4:56 PM
I don't need them for the shop so much, just a hobbyist. I used to do a LOT of hiking, wet and dry. These are the ones that worked the best and tolerated snow and heat except for some wool blends which most folks don't like:

http://www.thorlo.com/mags/socks/hiking-socks/8.php?content_id=news

Jim Becker
04-24-2007, 6:03 PM
Duluthtrading.com ....excellent "work wear" for the trade. I swear by their long-tail tee shirts and have been pleased with other things they sell. Top quality. They do sell socks and other undergarments great for work including some items designed for hot (and cold) weather.

Per Swenson
04-24-2007, 6:50 PM
You guys,

Not only are ya great, you're killin me.

Sorry, Thanks Belinda, ahhh you're one a da guys to.

So....168.00 dollars so far.

Told ya I was obsessed.

Thanks.

Per

Per Swenson
04-24-2007, 7:11 PM
Oh Yeah,

Another thing.

You would think I would have examined the hiking, biking, camping

world of socks. Nah.

I was contented in my cloistered little blinder'd world,

'till I freaked out. Kinda like expensive tools.

You would fathom how truly thrifty I am, If you could

witness my excitement over a 6 pack of cotton socks at the flea

market for 1.99.

No more. Life's to short.

Jason Roehl
04-24-2007, 8:33 PM
Per, I second the motion of 2 pairs of socks, with wool on top. I wear steel-toed Caterpillar boots most of the year myself. (A painter wearing boots? Think foot support on a ladder!) I used to just wear 100% wool socks, but they would wear out too quick at $7/pair. That's why I put on a pair of something like Hanes ankle-high socks first, then a pair of 100% wool socks. Although, my folks gave me a couple pair of Wigwam wool blend type socks for Christmas, and those seem to hold up a little better and have similar moisture-wicking properties.

People always think I'm nuts for wearing wool socks in the summer, but my feet are DRY, so they don't feel near as bad at the end of the day, and my boots don't stink (much). I do have a set of Dr. Scholl's gel inserts (I'm gellin' like a felon...), and they may help a little, but I think I may look into a set of fluid-filled-type inserts. I had tried some at the state fair last year, and I thought the gel would be just as good, but it's not. The fluid-filled ones were pretty comfortable in hindsight.

Dave Fifield
04-24-2007, 8:58 PM
Per, I've always been happy with the 12-pack Duralon (IIRC) white socks from Costco. They are soft and comfy on my precious toes and have a good wear to cost ratio.

Cheers,

Rob Wright
04-24-2007, 9:00 PM
Per,

I also highly recommend Smartwool. I got rid of all of my cotton socks and wear the Smartwool Midweight hikers exclusively all year round. They breathe and cushion my big fat/flat feet very well. It hurt a lot the first time my wife said she bought me a new pair of socks for $11, but they sure feel good!

Roger Bell
04-24-2007, 9:26 PM
In my line of work, I need the very best footwear money can buy with price as (seriously) no object. I wear custom made heavyweight leather boots and have them rebuilt about every other year due to wear.

Cotton is a terrible fabric for socks and synthetics, such as orlon, are just about as bad. Wool/synthetic mixes are better, but not nearly as good as high grade wool. The British army figured that out in India a hundred years ago.

I have tried every higher end sock on the market purporting to be quality. Frankly, I am a sucker for any sock promising better performance and longevity. Most simply do not measure up to hard use under extreme conditions, even if with celebrity mountain climbers endorsing them. Not for very long, anyway.

For heavy duty use with work boots, you might consider Filson.
Personally, I prefer their heavyweight worsted Merino wool at $25. But they offer several options.

http://www.filson.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2075119&cp=2069836.2065000

They have outlasted "Smartwool", Wigwam, Thorlo and others by at least 4:1, probably more. I was lucky to get a "season" or so out of the Smartwool and Wigwams (heavy versions). The Filsons are going on their fourth maybe fifth year.

As long as one is not allergic, high grade merino wool is the most comfortable....winter and summer, wet all day or dry and hot. For exceptionally extreme conditions, particularly in snow, a silk liner sock is a good idea. I like to buy at least dozen pair and allow them to wear evenly. You must be fastidious about washing them on gentle and not ruining them in the dryer with high heat. These are not 6/$1.99 sweat socks and they dont belong in the same load with your underwear.

I recommend that you buy a couple of pair of several brands and make your own decision based on your own field trials. You may find one of the cheaper brands suitable enough for your needs.

Don Bullock
04-24-2007, 9:48 PM
Per,
I like cotton socks much better than wool, especially if your feet sweat. I've tried some cushioning socks sold by Eddie Bauer.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/product.asp?product_id=23884&nv=2|21472|24175&lview=&cm_cg=C24175&tid=&c=&sc=&lp=v1i019

or

http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/product.asp?product_id=27772&nv=2|21472|24175&lview=&cm_cg=C24175&tid=&c=&sc=&lp=v1i017

Jerry Vander Till
04-24-2007, 10:54 PM
While I haven't tried any of these yet, Extreme Alpaca Socks are supposed to be even better, more comfortable, more durable, more breathable (?), etc. than merino wool.

http://americasalpaca.com/product_info.php/products_id/29

I don't profit from this site but I will be owning alpacas later this summer, so take it for what it's worth.

Dan Mages
04-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Ditto on Merino wool socks. Make sure you get ones that are comfortable for you. I have bought some that fit rather loosely and did not do much for supporting my food. On the other hand, I have some that fit my foot like a glove and are the best socks I own. I have about 12 pairs of these

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=cresta-hiking-socks&categoryId=33721&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=9699&cat4=9697&shop_method=pp&feat=9699-tn

Dan

David G Baker
04-26-2007, 3:32 PM
I have tried cotton socks and found them marginally okay for a short period of time. After washing them several times the inside of the socks turn to a gravel like feeling. Some people have feet that can walk bare on a black top road in Arizona during a summer heat wave or bare foot on a gravel road. I am not one of them. If there is a minuscule piece of lint in my sock it feels like a boulder and can cause a blister if I don't remove it.

jeremy levine
04-27-2007, 10:27 AM
With all the good info this thread produced.... "I gots to know"

Per please tell us what socks you buy

Per Swenson
04-27-2007, 6:00 PM
Jeremy, and everybody who helped Louie and Rudy.

I bought em all.

Currently at $234.16.

I wasn't kidding.

Per

PS

Afore ya think I'm nuts.....

Lets see, I rotate 5 pairs of work boots ranging in price and quality

from 75 bucks to 200.

And I was paying a buck two ninety nine for 12 socks.

It takes me a long time to see the error of my ways...

in this case 30 years.

Per

Ken Werner
04-27-2007, 6:40 PM
Per, I think you're going to find it money well spent. And if you find a pair you especially like, buy lots more, because they come and go like prices at Amazon.
Ken

Eric Derry
04-28-2007, 8:29 AM
I think this may be my first post on the Creek. Strange that after all the great woodworking information/entertainment, I'm posting about socks. Get the Smart Wool, I wear them summer and winter and I'm on my feet 12+ hours a day. I didn't give much thought to socks or shoes until I injured my back and then the pain in my legs and feet forced me to think about them. I found them to be a good bargain because they last many times longer than the cheapo socks I was buying. Happy feet. Eric

Andrew Williams
04-28-2007, 9:23 AM
I have had foot issues for a while. I use gel insoles and if I need good socks I will go with synthetic hiking socks like thorlo. Otherwise light polypropylene sock liners and heavy wool outer socks seem best. Cotton gets hot and the fibers become like little burning gridirons.

Charlie Patterson
04-28-2007, 4:41 PM
Per: Try Thorlo's Basketball socks I have been wearing them for about 10 years now and I love them. I get them from www.thesockcompany.com (http://www.thesockcompany.com) Read the care instructions and follw them and 6 pair will last you from 18 to 24 months wearing them everyday. I am on my feet on concrete and steel walking and climbing steps for 12 - 14 hours a day and my "Tootsies"Love them.

Good Luck
Charlie

Per Swenson
05-02-2007, 10:45 PM
So far the winner is...........

Duluth trading. http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/86014.aspx?feature=Product_13

Great sock, great price, immediate delivery.

Just in case ya wanted to know.

Still more coming though.

But I hate waiting.

Per

Michael Gibbons
05-06-2007, 9:55 AM
Per, Check out Cabelas. I swear by their Merino wool winter socks but kinda pricey at $13 a pr.