PDA

View Full Version : Habitat for Humanity

Carl Eyman
12-30-2003, 2:03 PM
For about 10 years now we have had a chapter of Habitat for Humanity here in our town of about 13000. The attached photo ahows me sanding the last window sill for the interior of our fifteenth house. I've done everything on the houses from dig footings to making bookcases. I've also made the windowsills for all 15. However, this may be the last time I'll do them. We are now going to build five houses in 2004 and more per year after that. This will just about mean volunteer labor will be out the window. We've been taxing the faithful to get two a year done. I feel good about getting more people into houses but bad that the spirit of volunteering will be lost.

I wonder if anyone else has gone through this expansion deal and, if so, how did it come out.

Glenn Clabo
12-30-2003, 2:45 PM
I wonder if anyone else has gone through this expansion deal and, if so, how did it come out.

Carl,
A couple of years ago my wife and I went up to Windsor, Ontario to help build some homes. It was an interesting experience because it was primarily done by local contractors with a few volunteers. They also had expanded the program so there wasn't enough time or people to do otherwise.

I'd say that the same basic feeling of accomplishment was felt by everyone involved. I think as long as the need exists...and you're still while to put in the same amount of time...why not continue to volunteer?

Lee Schierer
12-30-2003, 3:58 PM
I guess I'm lost. What expansion?? Why is that going to limit your ability to volunteer to help habitat?? If you can't make it to all four then only do one or two. I'm sure they will welcome the help just the same.

Carl Eyman
12-30-2003, 5:21 PM
I'm afraid of three things, Lee. One is contractors won't want volunteers underfoot, they are on a fixed price contract so volunteers will be just helping to line their pockets, and, lastly the Habitat staff will be so busy raising money they won't have time to organize volunteers. Any way we'll see. perhaps it'll work out. The full volunteer method put you to work with the future home owner. Today as I drive around town and see one or another in their yards I wave; so do they. It's a good feeling.

Wes Bischel
12-31-2003, 1:51 PM
Carl,

Our chapter has had contractors come in to do their bit as well. Usually they come in to frame or do siding, plumbing etc. That leaves the rest for the volunteers. It's a good way to get the home done faster, and allow the contracting firm to keep their people on payroll when times slow down (not to mention the cause).

The volunteer side won't go away - remember, the new owners need to put their time in.

I suspect your services will be more focused on specific areas for these projects, but as you said, more families will benefit.

Also, don't forget the renovation homes (if your group is doing any right now) usually contractors don't want to deal with them if at all possible.

Wes

Carl Eyman
12-31-2003, 4:44 PM
Wes :
Your points are well taken. We've had electrical & plumbing contracted since we burned out our contractirs after the fisrt few houses. For framing we've run the gamut- some all volubteer, seceral done by visiting groups - Care-A-Vanners and a church group from Buena Vista Colorado that has come every March for a week for about six years and closed in a house for us. So we haven't been completely on our own. I guess we'll see how it works out. You have given me hope that it will be OK. Thanks for your reply.