I have a nice raised panel bit it's probrably around 3 1/2 inches in
diameter. I have a 12 amp 2 1/4 HP router will this do the job or should I
invest in a 3 1/4 HP 15 amp unit ??? I wont be cutting alot of doors with
this unit and needing some input.

Thank You
Eugene Manzo

Jim Becker
04-23-2007, 9:06 PM
You "can" use that cutter with the 12 amp router, but it will be slow going as you'll need to make the cut in more steps. A 15 amp router would be a better choice if you plan on using this kind of cutter often. Oh...and you must use them in a table, too... ;)

David Weaver
04-23-2007, 9:10 PM
Eugene - I was in the same boat not that long ago. Those bits can shorten the life of what makes a very good plunge or hand-held router.

I waited until porter cable put the 7518 on sale, and got it. It's just not worth melting down a very nice 12 amp router to realize that you need to buy another 12 amp router to replace it, AND a large router to keep the new 12 amp router from melting like the old one.

Of course, I had a bout of kickback with said 12 amp router, and now it has a whining bearing - soon to need replaced, I'm sure.

glenn bradley
04-23-2007, 11:49 PM
First let's stay safe . . . this bit should only be used in a router table with a fence. Never, ever by hand. That being said, you can use this bit in a 2 1/4 HP router. Using your fence or spacers, take off about an 1/8" at a pass and do the last pass smaller (as in 1/16") as opposed to finishing off large (as in 3/16 or more) to get a clean finish.

As stated by others, I would not want to do this often and strain the router but a few doors done carefully should be OK. Don't hurry.

If you plan to do this for a whole kitchen (or more than a half dozen doors IMHO) I would look at a larger router. In the 15 amp range there are quite a few to choose from; Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Triton, etc. I have the Mil 5625 and love it. There are a lot of folks that swear by the the PC 7518 and I hold their opinion in high regard.

Charles McCracken
04-24-2007, 8:49 AM
Hello Creekers

I have a nice raised panel bit it's probrably around 3 1/2 inches in
diameter. I have a 12 amp 2 1/4 HP router will this do the job or should I
invest in a 3 1/4 HP 15 amp unit ??? I wont be cutting alot of doors with
this unit and needing some input.

Thank You
Eugene Manzo

Eugene,

The User's manual for the router should indicate the maximum bit size that can safely be used. I believe that most router manufacturers recommend not using bits that large in the 12 amp tools but check the manual to be sure.

Eugene A. Manzo III
04-24-2007, 9:43 AM
Thanks Guys !!!

I do have a table , I'm sorry I didnt mention that. And charles the bit is a Freud nice red bit. I checked my manual and all it mentioned was if you here any slow down in speed reduce cut. Deep down I knew what I was going to hear from you. Now the truth I was going to buy a 3 1/4 hp 15 amp Makita and fell in love with the feel of a Ridgid 2 1/4 12 amp. I'll just bite the bullet and order the Makita.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-24-2007, 1:29 PM
You are fine with the router you have. A bigger router will hold it's RPM better, that's all.

Tom Jones III
04-24-2007, 3:01 PM
I used my smaller router (sorry I can't remember what size it is right now) with the Freud raised panel bit with backcutter. I was cutting walnut and did it in 3 passes. There was no trouble with it. If you are only going to do a few doors then you should be fine.

scott spencer
04-24-2007, 3:08 PM
I've done panels with my big FT2000 and MW5625 routers, and also with my smaller FT1700. The bigger routers have an easier time, but the smaller router does fine powerwise. As others have said, if you're only doing occasional panels, your current router should be fine with lighter passes.