PDA

View Full Version : Woodsucker update

John Miliunas
12-30-2003, 1:49 PM
I finally finished up my DC ductwork a couple weeks ago and have used it about every chance I get. This would include the MS, TS, BS, jointer, planer and even a little sanding dust evacuation at the lathe. I really couldn't be much happier with the performance. Then today, it came time to empty the barrel. :( Not an earth-shattering experience by any stretch of the imagination but, the one thing to note, is the amount of sawdust particulate in the clear bag at the exhaust side. The collection barrel to bag ratio of this system is such that I should probably be emptying out the clear bag sometime around February of 2009! :rolleyes: I'm serious as a heart attack here. I could take the entire contents of that bag right now and wouldn't have enough to fill 1/2 of my shirt pocket! Add to that, my room air filter doesn't look to need changing yet, either, indicating to me that the system is doing a good job of capturing the fine stuff, too! So, to end in a popular cliché, this Woodsucker really sucks! :cool:

Jim Becker
12-30-2003, 2:39 PM
To use a good cyclone is to love a good cyclone! 'Glad yours is getting a workout. I had the chance to actually touch a Woodsucker when I visited Jerry Todd last week. It's solid. About the only thing that gave me pause is the sound level...it's significanly louder than I expected and a separate room or closet is definitely a good idea as you already know.

One thing you might find useful is to put a little window in the top of the bin so you can easily determine how full it is...you don't want to over-fill the bin or you will get blow-by into your filters. I made my "window" with a 5" square of 1/4" Lexan left over from another project; sealed it with mastic and screwed it over the hole I cut in the top of the bin. Works like a champ...as long as the light is on!

Now, of course, you need a loader to move that full bin to where you plan on emptying it!! Fill it often... :D

Bart Leetch
12-30-2003, 4:20 PM
So how does the noise from the Woodsucker compare to say a Grizzly G1029 2 hp DC?

Ron Meadows
12-30-2003, 5:04 PM
Bart,

I've had both (still have the Woodsucker) and the cyclone is definitely louder. I always wear hearing protection when running stuff in the shop, but my guess would be that it's about 2 or 3 dB louder.

Ron

John Miliunas
12-30-2003, 5:06 PM
So how does the noise from the Woodsucker compare to say a Grizzly G1029 2 hp DC?

Bart, don't know 'bout the Grizz, but I did have a Bridgewood 2hp with the bags. I'd say it's probably a tad louder than that. In my particular installation, it's a non-issue, because it's not in the same space as my shop. I have it installed in the adjoining garage. BUT, due to the high volume of air it moves, I did need to route the exhaust back into the shop. This was accomplished, as Larry at Woodsucker suggested, with one of those insulated flex ducts, 8" in diameter coming out the top of the Woodsucker. For me, that meant making a long 180* loop back into the shop, using probably 16' or so of the duct. With this setup, noise is minimized to the point where I forget the thing is "on"! :cool:

Bart Leetch
12-30-2003, 7:18 PM
Wow John thats great I wish I had room to do something like that.

It looks like I'm going to order the Jet filter system for my G1029.

I have a couple of semi truck filters in a housing I built on top of it right now but their a bear to clean. Although its a long time between cleanings & the flow is much better than the old 30 micron bags. I also have the skirt that comes off the bottom of the bag rim & down onto a 30 gallon garbage can.

John Miliunas
12-30-2003, 11:24 PM
Bart, I've heard good things about the Jet filter setup. If you can, I would still consider trying to partition off the DC. Just setting up walls around it with insullation would help deaden the noise a bit more. The idea being, absorb as much as you can at or near the source. You'd still need to leave ample area(s) open in order for it to vent out, but you might be able to have the open area(s) pointing away from your major work zone, which would help muffle it some more. Good luck with it! :cool:

Bart Leetch
12-31-2003, 9:51 AM
That all sounds good John. However my problem is with a small shop my DC sets right by the door behind it is the power panel & light switches & (2) 220v plug-ins (2) 110v plug-ins (1) 240v plug-in. However I have heard about an insulation that can be put on the blower housing that will quite it down to where you can talk in a normal voice & be heard easily. I need to post over on the Oak Factory & see if I can find out about this product again & where to get it.

Mark Singer
12-31-2003, 10:03 AM
John,Happy New year,
Looking around my shop I found several cheap tools, gagets I don't use, dried up Gorilla glue ....I've been a "woodsucker" too.
Mark

Lawrence See
12-31-2003, 1:57 PM
Bart, try dynamat.com.

Regards, Larry